A future West Ham manager in the waiting

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Ironing Board

Re: A future West Ham manager in the waiting

Post by Ironing Board » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:50 am

mushy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 am
Went to Campion school in Hornchurch.(as did I).
I think the brothers have done brilliantly, they are the type of forward thinking, radical coaches that West Ham need.
Unfortunately our owners only pick trusted and stable managers. Hence, Allardyce, Moyes and Grant.
Wouldn’t class Avram Grant as “tried and trusted.” Always thought that was a wild punt that made absolutely no sense.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:10 am

These fellas do sound like future managerial stars, I have to say. Proper experience managing through the system

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:39 am

I am certainly warming to the idea of having the Cowleys as our new Managers once Pellers' time is up. :thup:

Very impressed from what I have heard and seen.

Sadly:

1) I can't see our owners looking at them, unless we are relegated, as they'll look for a 'name';

2) Our owners only ever hire managers out of work, or who will walk out of their contracts like Grant and Pellers did;

3) They both sound like men who think long and hard about the jobs they take. They even turned down the Huddersfield job initially. So surely they wouldn't buy into Sully's cr*p. West Ham fans or not.

They will want complete control. The perfect clubs I can think of for them would be the Bournemouth job, should Howe leave them. Maybe Palace too.

I reckon our owners will order another Chinese takeaway when Pellers is gone. They'll go for today's special - Rafa Benitez.

Failing that it'll be Moyes back until the end of the season again.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 am

talk of Mourinho but why would he come here a club who wont spend big for him ?

my choice is and has been for a few years eddie howe.

we shall see how it all pans out in the latest edition of the west ham saga !

Patito

Post by Patito » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:00 am

hammerman11 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 am

Why would he come here?

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:02 pm

hammerman11 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 am
talk of Mourinho but why would he come here a club who wont spend big for him ?

we shall see how it all pans out in the latest edition of the west ham saga !
You could have stopped that first sentence at here. No chance.

englebert

Post by englebert » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:55 pm

Eddie Howe would come here. if his wage would be somewhere near Pellers

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:06 pm

Would we be challenging any higher with Howe? I feel he is good at working with mid-level players who will work hard and importantly, for him. But once you try and break into the level above the dynamics change. We target big transfer signings but counter this with freebies to balance the books. You have the added equation of working with big egos and that becomes another challenge in itself. I think he has a certain ceiling and I am not sure that being at West Ham would change that but could jeopardise him with him being out of his comfort zone. Over a 5 year period he may enable us to challenge the top 6 intermittently but it would be remarkable if he could sustain it beyond that with the managerial cycle being so short these days. He is able to do what he does at Bournemouth with full control as he has no pressure. I am certain that wouldn't be the case at West Ham. If I was him I'd stay put. He has assembled a capable team and there is harmony all around. To step into West Ham he would have to perform major surgery and probably without the tools he will ask for. They will offer him one large shiny tool and a bunch of tools fit for the scrapyard.

mushy

Post by mushy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:18 pm

Ironing Board wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:50 am
Wouldn’t class Avram Grant as “tried and trusted.” Always thought that was a wild punt that made absolutely no sense.
Our owners saw the words 'Champions League Final' on his CV and squealed with delight
That's about as tried and tested as you need with those blokes.

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:27 pm

All this talk of seeing players stepping into management in the past few years, such as: Lampard, Bowyer, Parker, Gerrard it had me thinking, do we 'potentially' have a future manager in the making already at our club? Or should I say 'in our squad'?

The man I am talking about if you haven't worked it out already - Pablo Zabaleta.

I believe he can make a great manager. Whether we are the right club, or right level to start of with remains to be seen. And it would be interesting to see who he would bring in as his back room staff.

But IF we carry on struggling and Pellers does go, I doubt the owners would pay back money to get the long term replacement in and will probably look do bring someone to take us to the end of the season like Moyes.

Could Zabaleta retire and take up the job during the season until at least the end of the season? What do you all think?

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:30 pm

needs a Pro licence doesn't he ? takes a while to get one even if you're fast tracked.

he has loads of places he could go with the City group. they have about 7 clubs on the go, and Viera went to New York didn't he ?

rciron

Post by rciron » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:50 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:06 pm
To step into West Ham he would have to perform major surgery and probably without the tools he will ask for. They will offer him one large shiny tool and a bunch of tools fit for the scrapyard.
Sorry, by one large shiny tool, do you mean the one that's permanently wedged up Sullivan's arse? And by a bunch of tools fit for the scrapyard, do you mean the ones worn out by Brady? And the geriatric, who walks like he is chewing a toffee? FFS have some respect

codger

Post by codger » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:30 pm

After going eleven games without a win Huddersfield Town took on Danny Cowley and his brother in late September
In the month of October they recorded 3 wins and two draws. Danny was awarded Championship Manager of the month.
That says it all.

r99c

Post by r99c » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:19 am

Why would Eddie Howe come here? He's revered down there by their fans, local to Bournemouth, seems to have control of the club, you never hear of any nonsense emanating from Bournemouth. He'll look at us and think **** stadium, **** owners, supporters that get on the club's back. If you really think Howe would definitely come here, you have to question whether that's your bias talking. Not saying he won't but really cannot see it myself. Cowley brothers all day for me. Don't care that their successes are at lower levels, they've taken three clubs to entirely new heights (for recent seasons), and now are doing the job at Huddersfield too.

ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:11 pm

It doesn't matter who we get Mourinho, Pep take your pick.

After the first season the wallet is closed again and the then the manager is thrown under the bus.

Remember when we were getting Klopp?

Look at the amount of money he has had to spend to get the mickeys up there, don't tell me if he had come here that we would have done the same.
If he had come here he would have been ditched in the second season due to cash starvation.

The dildos are way out of their depth, they are only hanging on a bit longer so they can get as much as they can, West Ham fans my ****ing arse.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:54 pm

never quite got the enthusiasm for Howe, he does well at a club with very limited ambition. (might suit us then) He's pretty useless in the transfer market when he spends big. Jordan Ibe and dominic Solanke cost about £35m between them. Neither would make our team, poor as it is at the moment. The Cowley bros. have impressed a lot of people but I could only see sulli going for that option if we were struggling in the championship. I'm not sure going to school at Campion is any plus on their CV. When I went there it was a rugby school. Always used that to explain my poor football skills. I agree that sulli's been phoning China a lot recently

upton o'good

Post by upton o'good » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:26 pm

lincolnhammer1963 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:51 pm
Danny and Nicky Cowley get another win for Huddersfield this weekend, there now out of the relegation zone.
As I said back in August, this is just the beginning for these 2 Hammers fanatics
Just cant wait to get them at West Ham in a couple of years.
Serial winners with a human touch. What ccould possibly go wrong managing West Ham !!!
They are clearly doing well at Huddersfield - and have a track record at lower league level that is impressive, but:
they took over a team that had most of the players that got them to the prem and kept them there... but had lost confidence. Yoyu can turn that round quickly
they have yet to manage big egos

Westbourne Bill

Post by Westbourne Bill » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:49 pm

The Cowley brothers....their Lincoln success was based on direct football - pumped up to a lump of a centre forward. Not knocking what they've achieved and have started at Huddersfield but anyone expecting them to produce "the West Ham way" football would be sorely disappointed.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:51 pm

codger wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:30 pm
After going eleven games without a win Huddersfield Town took on Danny Cowley and his brother in late September
In the month of October they recorded 3 wins and two draws. Danny was awarded Championship Manager of the month.
That says it all.
Sorry but what does that actually say?

Are you saying that based on one very good month with Huddersfield a team who was not expecting to be anywhere near the bottom but more nearer the top is enough to say we should get these guys in.

How about waiting a few years before we start hailing them as the best thing since the invention of the wheel.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Westbourne Bill wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:49 pm
The Cowley brothers....their Lincoln success was based on direct football - pumped up to a lump of a centre forward. Not knocking what they've achieved and have started at Huddersfield but anyone expecting them to produce "the West Ham way" football would be sorely disappointed.
Admit I have only seen two Huddersfield games of theirs when they have been in charge, but the football was shocking. Very direct to say the least.

But hay they are West Ham fans so lets get them in.

Alan Curbishley was also a West Ham.