Bramell Lane goes Cashless (non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Corney Beal

Re: Bramell Lane goes Cashless (non WHU)

Post by Corney Beal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:39 am

Went to Werder Bremen v Hamburg nearly ten years ago. Didn't know it was a pre- paid top up card system only. Extremely thirsty surrounded by bier drinkers in my safe standing area. Couldn't suss out the top up card system, if there was a deposit, how much etc?
Lovely stadium, fine example of how to convert an arena with an athletics track into a proper ground, a la Manchester City.

Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:40 am

Bram Hell Lane for us soon, I have no doubts.

wildkard

Post by wildkard » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 am

Can’t remember the last time I paid cash for anything. Not a big deal really is it? If you’re bothered by someone cloning your card just use the PIN every time.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:22 am

lets hope it goes pointless for a long time !

woodgreenspur

Re: Bramell Lane goes Cashless

Post by woodgreenspur » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:50 am

[quote="westham,eggyandchips"[/quote]
Yes mate.
Very popular it is too :)

hxhammer

Post by hxhammer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:00 am

Estuary wrote:Dodgy ground legally, I am sure the law requires all suppliers of goods to accept the legal currency other than copper coins for transactions above £2.
Plenty of pubs doing it, All Bar One in Old Baily for example

mushy

Post by mushy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:01 am

YorksHammer wrote:. Plus, in theory, cashless payments take less time

Unless you are at a London Underground ticket barrier in the rush hour and the turd in front of you a) doesn't have phone out until he/she gets there. b) has wrong app open on phone and just keeps waving phone at reader time after time, even though it's clear to the 250 people behind in the queue that there is something wrong and they need to GET OUT THE FU**ING WAY.
Faster my ar*e. Just helps to cut out theft and fraud.

Row X

Post by Row X » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:01 pm

I'm old school... I always carry cash.

Hate paying for stuff on my card, as you lose track of what you've spent, espically when you at the football on a few beers.

If I take out £100, and the next morning I wake up with £20 left, I know I spent £80... I don't need to log in my bank account to see how much I spent.

I understand why football clubs want everyone to use cards, there's less chance of the staff dipping into the tills. However, at Spurs away last season I saw one bloke order fish and chips, and a drink... with a £20 note in his hand and the bloke behind the till said "we don't accept cash sir" so the bloke just said "Oh ok, cheers" and just picked up the fish and chips and drink and just walked away with them :lol:

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Row X wrote:I'm old school... I always carry cash.

Hate paying for stuff on my card, as you lose track of what you've spent, espically when you at the football on a few beers.

If I take out £100, and the next morning I wake up with £20 left, I know I spent £80... I don't need to log in my bank account to see how much I spent.

I understand why football clubs want everyone to use cards, there's less chance of the staff dipping into the tills. However, at Spurs away last season I saw one bloke order fish and chips, and a drink... with a £20 note in his hand and the bloke behind the till said "we don't accept cash sir" so the bloke just said "Oh ok, cheers" and just picked up the fish and chips and drink and just walked away with them :lol:

Brilliant! Well done that man! :thup:

James P

Post by James P » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:32 pm

mushy wrote:Unless you are at a London Underground ticket barrier in the rush hour and the turd in front of you a) doesn't have phone out until he/she gets there. b) has wrong app open on phone and just keeps waving phone at reader time after time, even though it's clear to the 250 people behind in the queue that there is something wrong and they need to GET OUT THE FU**ING WAY.
Faster my ar*e. Just helps to cut out theft and fraud.
In fairness though, cash ain't much use at a ticket barrier either.

Eastbourne Hammer

Post by Eastbourne Hammer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:06 pm

-DL- wrote: Many small businesses are going cashless - it reduces their insurance premiums as they don't carry cash on the premises.

Sheff Utd are just another small business following suit...
I saw what you did there...... :lol:

brownout

Post by brownout » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Corney Beal wrote:Went to Werder Bremen v Hamburg nearly ten years ago. Didn't know it was a pre- paid top up card system only. Extremely thirsty surrounded by bier drinkers in my safe standing area. Couldn't suss out the top up card system, if there was a deposit, how much etc?
Lovely stadium, fine example of how to convert an arena with an athletics track into a proper ground, a la Manchester City.
I went to Stuttgart v Hamburg about ten years ago. Also safe standing area. Also had card system but it was minimum 20 Euro on the card so not ideal for the occasional visitor.

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:05 pm

hxhammer wrote: Plenty of pubs doing it, All Bar One in Old Bailey for example
I am not surprised, but the law requires any business where you are settling a debt to accept cash, a debt can be said to be any service provided to you and food and drink are well within that "debt/service" area.

Now here's where the law gets silly, a private business can refuse to sell you something, but at the same time, as I point out above, it cannot define the manner in which you may choose to pay. I guess that's what Sheffield and others are relying on, just not selling you a beer unless you can pay by card, which is technically illegal, but....... they are within their rights to refuse a service to you. Clear? No, thought not but that's the law, murky as f..k here.

Just another of your rights as citizens pissed away for the convenience of governments ( they would save billions on printing if we did away with money full stop, also they want every penny you have in cash tucked under the matress (they know how much that is bye the way, but not who has it) accountable so they can tax you, businesses, especially banks, and we should have learned by now that if its good for them it's bad for us.

wildkard

Post by wildkard » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:24 pm

That’s not right. You are applying the theory that shops can refuse to accept £50 notes to that of cashless transactions. Not the same thing.

Edit: also, a shop can ask for any form of payment for goods or services. They could ask you to pay in badger pelts if they wanted. They do not have to “legally accept cash” or anything like that.

If they accept “legal tender” they have to accept all legal tender (bank notes and coins). They’re not obliged to actually give you any change if you hand over a fifty note though. Debit and credit cards are not legal tender anyway, but not sure that’s relevant here.

TootingRob

Post by TootingRob » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Took my 15 year old daughter to the pre season game and gave her a tenner to go and get herself some food and a drink during the game. Came back hungry and thirsty and quite shockingly gave me the money back. If you knew my daughter you'd understand the shock.
So I sent her back with one of my cards and hey presto no questions asked she is now refreshed. Anyway my point is, how do the younger ones who don't have bank cards and go on their own make a purchase? Surely this is in some way discrimination?

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Estuary wrote: I am not surprised, but the law requires any business where you are settling a debt to accept cash, a debt can be said to be any service provided to you and food and drink are well within that "debt/service" area.
Wrong. Businesses in the UK are not obliged to accept cash for regular, day to day transactions.

The 'legal tender argument' only applies to settling debts, not the sale of goods and services. A transaction for goods or services, including restaurants where you pay before the meal, or open a tab, is not classified as a debt, therefore the law of legal tender and debt does not apply, and a business has the right to refuse any method of payment, including cash.

The only thing we'd generally see where 'legal tender' would apply, would be if we hailed a cab or ate at a restaurant where we then ordered the bill - as the goods or service has already been supplied. However, cash can be refused for taxi's or cabs is if paid in advance of receiving the service, like in Uber's case.

wildkard

Post by wildkard » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:33 pm

And really, who gives a flying **** anyway?

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Post by btajim - mcfc » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:54 am

Does everyone have a contactless card, these days? I'm still on chip and pin. I don't see how this would speed up service when handing a £5 note for a £4.50 pint against putting my pin number in. I do have a card option on my iPhone but am yet to use it.

I'd lean towards this being about keeping administrative costs down over speeding up service. People have to cash up (I worked in retail in my late teens) and it's money straight in the bank if everyone is paying by card. I go to Wales v Azerbaijan next month and was reading the Cardiff City Stadium has trialed contactless but there's cash tills and card ones too.

My preference is cash for every day purchases like lunch from the sandwich bar or beers in the pub. It's card for clothes etc.