Ticket Touts fined and in Jail

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

CapBuckyOHare

Ticket Touts fined and in Jail

Post by CapBuckyOHare » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:08 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... touts.html

"Chelsea take legal action against 11 ticket touts, with one given a six-month jail sentence... and they have to pay back the club £170,000"

Does anyone know any of the guys outside Stratford station that do this, might be a warning.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re: Ticket Touts fined and in Jail

Post by Up the Junction » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:11 am

:thup:

Online touts next, please.

hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Post by hadleighhammer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:42 am

Good. Touts are scum.

aaronhammer

Post by aaronhammer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:45 am

Good! I wouldn't be warning the ones in Stratford, hope they get caught to be honest!

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:47 am

Ticket resellers sometimes wear jeans and stand outside of venues, and sometimes they are highly sophisticated major businesses hoovering up tickets as soon as they become avaiable and then driving up the price based upon restricted supply.

Viagogo, stub hub, ticketmaster, etc etc etc....they all need their wings clipped along with the guys outside of venues.

Whats strange about this case is whay anybody would want to pay over the odds to watch Chelsea.

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:43 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Ticket resellers sometimes wear jeans and stand outside of venues, and sometimes they are highly sophisticated major businesses hoovering up tickets as soon as they become avaiable and then driving up the price based upon restricted supply.

Viagogo, stub hub, ticketmaster, etc etc etc....they all need their wings clipped along with the guys outside of venues.

Whats strange about this case is why anybody would want to pay over the odds to watch Chelsea.
Agree with this.

The shady looking bloke with the unironed shirt, moody sunglasses and badly cut jeans trying to flog tickets outside of the ground for a profit is no different to Viagogo, Stubhub and the like who do exactly the same thing.

At least the tout doesn't charge you an admin fee.

bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:50 pm

When groves fought froch at Wembley my mate and I were trying to get tickets the moment they went online but almost instantly sold out. However 5 minutes later on other sites we could buy tickets for basically anywhere in ground for 4 times the price. As we come from west country it put the price up to a level we didn't think worth paying. Touts are scum but I believe the promoters etc do deals with these companies to let them have the tickets and all have their noses in the trough

frankiemac

Post by frankiemac » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 pm

concert touts do my swede in as well

a concert can go on sale at 9am and by 9.10 all the tickets are gone

heres an idea though, perhaps dont let people buy 6x tickets at a time

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Post by btajim - mcfc » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:53 pm

bonzosbeard wrote:When groves fought froch at Wembley my mate and I were trying to get tickets the moment they went online but almost instantly sold out. However 5 minutes later on other sites we could buy tickets for basically anywhere in ground for 4 times the price. As we come from west country it put the price up to a level we didn't think worth paying. Touts are scum but I believe the promoters etc do deals with these companies to let them have the tickets and all have their noses in the trough
I hear Froch won that fight by KO. He rarely, if ever, mentions it.

CapBuckyOHare

Post by CapBuckyOHare » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:19 pm

I had one good Tout story

We'd just beaten Chelsea at home and me and a mate where heading over to Wembley for some reason when we learnt that Queens of the Stoneage were playing at Wembley Areana, so we thought we'd see what the touts were saying

Went up to one and we said we wanted 2 standing tickets, said he only had seating left,
ok, how much
£80 a piece.
told him where to go, as i could hear that they were just going on stage, and started walking off
he started after us and said how much did we want to pay,
£25 quid for both i said
he told me where to go, so off we walked
moments later he comes back again and says ok
so we get the two tickets, seating, for £25 quid total

We went to arena, no queue, as i said the band was already on, and gave them the tickets, i could see a bunch of standing wrist bands were left over, i implored the woman to let us in the standing area, she was having none of it, then all of a sudden this girl comes up and says "you want a standing ticket, here I've got one spare", gave me the standing ticket, i turn to the ticket woman and said "see i have 1 standing i just need one more, and she relented and let us in."

Brilliant day, result and gig

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:19 pm

The reason so many tickets for sporting and music events appear on online secondary reseller sites is that most of the biggest re seller sites are owned by authorised sellers. That's why they end up on resale sites literally minutes after going on sale from authorised sellers, they go direct to those sites in large volume.

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:26 pm

There will be few faces over West Ham looking over their shoulders at that news.

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Estuary wrote:There will be few faces over West Ham looking over their shoulders at that news.
Faces?

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Billydinho wrote: Faces?
Yes, a softer alternative to gangster or villain.

Condorhammer

Post by Condorhammer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:03 pm

btajim - mcfc wrote:I hear Froch won that fight by KO. He rarely, if ever, mentions it.
I hear they drew a big crowd that night, surprised he doesn't bang on about that as well :)

Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Billydinho wrote: Faces?
Estuary wrote: Yes, a softer alternative to gangster or villain.
I thought you meant Rod Stewart's mates.

I don't really understand why this doesn't happen more to be honest. I guess that the small ones at the ground might not be worth it, but certainly the more organised firms. I guess it can only be because everyone is getting their slice.

brownout

Post by brownout » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:01 pm

I had a Twitter conversation about touts with PC Andy Sheldon MPS West Ham earlier this week -

AS - I do wonder sometimes why I get tagged by people wishing to purchase tickets for away games on the secondary market? Perhaps they do not realise that the sale of tickets without authority is called Ticket touting and is illegal .......

Me - Ticket touting is an offence & easy to spot as we see it at games all round the country but it is clearly not a priority for the police. Police often say they have zero tolerance for offences committed by fans & even gloat about arrests but do little to stop touts

AS - We do deal with ticket touts and will continue to do so, but strangely enough they tend to disappear when uniform arrives. And I wouldn't call it gloating I would say giving figures about what happened. I would much rather tell you there had been no arrests.

Me - There’s an easy answer to the uniform problem. Not accusing you of gloating but some other forces are less fan friendly.

AS - Thanks We do try and have used plain clothed officers to varying success, It is something we will continue to look at.

Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Kialos wrote:The reason so many tickets for sporting and music events appear on online secondary reseller sites is that most of the biggest re seller sites are owned by authorised sellers. That's why they end up on resale sites literally minutes after going on sale from authorised sellers, they go direct to those sites in large volume.
Yes - wasn't there an MP who was introducing a PMB to outlaw this? I suppose it's been "talked out" or something?

sendô

Post by sendô » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:24 pm

Up the Junction wrote::thup:

Online touts next, please.
Long, long, long ovedue.

Utter scum, the lot of them.

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:29 pm

The Competition & Markets Authority were looking at it relatively recently but whether that is still ongoing I don't know. Although the concept of touting is simple, trying to regulate it isn't, especially when dealing with the large multi million pound online sellers, some based abroad etc. This mainly music and other non football events.

Then you've got the scam sites set up offering tickets for sale but simply didn't exist.

The national football unit has always had teams targeting touting, but they will be concentrating on those higher up the food chain than the local officers who will know who's involved but just don't have the resource to deal with it as robustly and effectively as they would like.

Also, many people don't see it as a crime as such, no one forces people to buy tickets over face etc etc which doesn't help. You can imagine some of the issues that could arise, picture the scene with one or two officers trying to arrest a tout and then 50 pissed up football fans who think they know best getting involved. Not easy.
Last edited by Kialos on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.