Bury FC: Dawson vs Dale (non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Lakeside Hammer

Re: Bury FC: Dawson vs Dale (non WHU)

Post by Lakeside Hammer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:14 pm

A terrible terrible day for football,a sport with so much money rolling around it left right and centre.
Disgusting and Sickening how this could happen. :cry:

djclipz

Post by djclipz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:27 pm

So some bloke who has no interest in football is allowed to buy a club riddled with debt and then said club is expelled from the league, as f*** all was done to sort anything out, by the people that allowed it to happen. Ok then.
Last edited by djclipz on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:27 pm

aaronhammer wrote:Bury have been expelled from the league :cry:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49451896

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:28 pm

Very sad day for Bury. The EFL have to look at their fit and proper person test allowing Dale in in the prevailing circumstances. Once someone owns the club if they do not want to sell at a fair valuation there is little “football”, however rich it is, can do. I heard on the radio over the weekend that Bury under it all are financially viable if the current situation by overspending on wages etc has made them unattractive short term.

He paid a £ I believe, if he thinks he can now make a lot more by for example redeveloping the land for housing etc than he can by selling the club as a going concern there is little other than public outrage to stop this.

As it is the value of the “football” asset has just plummeted but I believe the club owns the land, if correct that is still worth the same.

Lakeside Hammer

Post by Lakeside Hammer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:45 pm

The 'fit and proper persons test' needs ripping up & starting again.
I believe they only really check for the absence of a criminal record, but didn't this bloke Mr Dale have a cv of more than 20 liquidated companies on it, so the odds are that anything he gets involved in is going bust.
Common sense not applied somewhere along the chain of events that's led to this.

WCpete

Post by WCpete » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:07 am

Disgraceful. This should never be allowed to happen. This is a big stain on the EFL. I can't help but feel that this story will repeat itself over and over again in the coming years. My deepest sympathies to the families that have grown up Bury supporters over the club's 134 years of existence.

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:18 am

This must have been what Dale wanted all along.

FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:49 am

I spoke to one fan on twitter, he said that there is a covenant on the ground, but as Basingstoke Town FC found out that means nothing as they had the ground sold from under them despite being still in business.
I have thought for weeks that this may be the route being taken.

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:33 am

Apparently Dale was trying to have the ground put into a family members name.

chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon

Post by chappo59 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:24 am

Dale should hang his head in shame........all that history I feel for those fans.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:29 am

djclipz wrote:So some bloke who has no interest in football is allowed to buy a club riddled with debt and then said club is expelled from the league, as **** all was done to sort anything out, by the people that allowed it to happen. Ok then.
Dale is far from blameless as we all know, but from what I've read he didnt have the foggiest at how bad things were at BFC. He genuinely believed that he could get the club back on an even keel.

Not a great businessman IMO, if you don't do your research on something you purchase.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:30 am

S-H wrote:This must have been what Dale wanted all along.
For what purpose though S-H?

Doesnt make any sense.

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:35 am

The damage to Bury was done before Dale rocked up, the business that pulled out of the deal yesterday pretty much said that.

Dale should never have been allowed to buy the club

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:35 am

The stadium? The value of the land for developing? Who knows?

Something dodgy went on though.

westhamlinnet

Post by westhamlinnet » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:50 am

It is wrong bury have gone to the wall yet we have s premier League where we pay Hernandez over 100k a week. The Neville's have connections to bury perhaps now the BBC will stop fawning over there love affair with Salford

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:52 am

westhamlinnet wrote:It is wrong bury have gone to the wall yet we have s premier League where we pay Hernandez over 100k a week. The Neville's have connections to bury perhaps now the BBC will stop fawning over there love affair with Salford
Salford lot might be quietly happy at Bury's demise.. they might pick up a few drifters?

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:04 am

Ozza wrote:The damage to Bury was done before Dale rocked up, the business that pulled out of the deal yesterday pretty much said that.

Dale should never have been allowed to buy the club
Both sentences are spot-on. The one in red more so. Whatever happened to the former owner?

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 am

I think I may have mentioned the dangers of financing clubs through debt rather than equity before.

This is the end result.

Few supporters of Chelsea FC could imagine a world without their club, and despite being rather close to the hangmans noose many years ago they remain the club in the English league club who are by far the most in debt to their owner. About £700m odd or so.

Nearly every club in the bottom 3 divisions has fianancial issues, as well as, probably 2/3 of the top flight.

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:43 am

Absolute useless script reader Sally Nugent having the audacity to DEFEND Dale for clearly legal reasons in front of passionate Bury fans this morning

Why don’t the BBC employ proper sports reporters

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:46 am

I followed West Ham beating Newport County in the league cup and was happy enough we won but if this makes sense, my heart was not in it. I was not kicking every ball in my head and checking what people were saying online about the match. Instead my mind wandered to the plight of Bury FC and their fans. I did not feel I could enjoy a match of football on a day when they received the news they were dreading.

To have your team, everything you know and love thrown onto the scrap heap and expelled from the league is a real kick to the guts. A football club the size of Bury FC is a hand me down of love and devotion through the generations. We laugh that West Ham is not a glory hunting team as there is no glory to hunt but for a team much further down the pecking order, Bury as a town is Bury FC. I read news reports about how a pub close to Gigg Lane is on the verge of closing as the revenue bought in from match day takings was its life source, just like those pubs in East Ham, Upton Park and Plaistow until 2016. One councilor estimated the worth of Bury FC to the town was about £3m in revenue for other local businesses. That is now gone.

David Squires in his latest cartoon gets it right in his last panel in my opinion (https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... ball-clubs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). If the footballing pyramid crumbles and the issues that have been faced by the likes of Charlton Athletic, Macclesfield Town, Bolton Wanderers, Coventry City, Notts County, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Plymouth Argyle, Exeter City, Leyton Orient, Port Vale, Leeds United, Morecambe and Oldham in the last ten years go unchecked, forgotten about and treated as sport by self serving, narcissists standing in front of count down clocks, nothing will change.

Bury FC as a football club and entity still exists but with the selling off of the mortgage on the football ground and the fire sale of assets to try and service debts has seen them in this desperate situation. No saviour this time to come to the rescue and they are left with a charlatan, career professional liquidator who has tried to get his £1 of flesh by transferring debt to a company controlled by a family member in an attempt to make money out of the CVA agreement he got people to vote in favour of. That CVA still has not been enacted and it is only a matter of time before Bury FC totally implodes under this financial pressure.

Bury FC are just a cog in the wheel, that wheel will keep on turning but how much longer until that wheel stops working?