Four years ago today

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

prophet:marginal
Location: Boleyn Ground, Westham United Football Club, Green St, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ

Re: Four years ago today

Post by prophet:marginal » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:52 am

On a beach in Portugal, as it happens. Got properly trashed with a Palace mate, because he was also celebrating (an away win at Chelsea).

That season, perhaps for one season only, we were their proper bogey team. We doubled them, drew away at Anfield, in the cup, and beat them in the replay.

A magical season.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:59 am

Pretty good year. From the archives...

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:03 pm

I was on holiday in Tossa del Mar, Spain (lovely place, I can thoroughly recommend it). When I saw we were 2-0 up I still fully expected to end up losing 3-2. I went absolutely berserk when I saw the final result. Mrs. Bondso wouldn't talk to me as she said I was embarrassing her!
Mind you, the eternal pessimist in me expects it be another 53 years before we win there again. 8-)

CapBuckyOHare

Post by CapBuckyOHare » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:54 pm

I was there

Although i went up on the Club coaches and due to traffic around the area we missed Lanzinis opener

on the way home some scouse scally launched a full unopened can of beer at the coach, was sure it was about to go through the window

arlhe

Post by arlhe » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:27 pm

On the beach in Babbacombe. Almost no signal, occasional delirious posts from my daughters.

We thought the game had finished at 2-0 and only heard about the third when we got back to the cliff top. Like many others, I was certain we'd throw it away or have the ref level it up until the very end.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:40 pm

I'd completely lost track of the time at a boozer in the Docklands and was fuming I'd missed the start. Can still remember muttering under my breath while opening up the BBC live update on a completely empty DLR platform at Wapping, and within a few seconds the very first update was notification of Lanzini's goal.

Which blackened my mood further that I'd missed it while simultaneously giving me a hard on. A very strange sensation to describe. There must be a German term for it surely?

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:44 pm

Hassenstiffi

Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm pretty sure I remember posting an incredibly pessimistic post on KUMB the morning of, calling Payet an 'overweight luxury that we couldn't afford', Lanzini 'a punt' and bemoaning the fact that we had one of the thinnest squads I'd ever seen.

Needless to say, I did not have the last laugh.

By the way, our sub's bench from that wonderful day...

7 Jarvis
34 Spiegel
35 Oxford
36 Lee
39 Cullen
42 Samuelsen
45 Knoyle

With only 3 more players I'm convinced we could have got Champions League that year!

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Think that bench at least gives you cover on the thinness argument TTS.

Not sure it fully makes up for two of worst takes of all time that preceded it, but still, chin up eh.

Redkanpps dog

Post by Redkanpps dog » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:30 pm

I was in a West Ham pub in Dublin as they were showing it (can't remember the name of it) with a load of mates for a weekend jolly. Thought we'd start early, watch us get beat then carry on drinking to forget about it. When we won everyone was going mental. The whole day/night then became a celebration. Don't really remember much of the night though :scarfer:

Hammer1972

Post by Hammer1972 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:45 pm

It was the day of my 1000th post - which seems to have been overlooked somewhat in the fuss about the result...

brownout

Post by brownout » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Possibly my best ever away game in more than 40 years.

Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )

Post by Bubbles Murray » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:35 pm

My first visit to Anfield was in '89 for the relegation match. Been to most of our subsequent games there. Wasn't gonna bother with this one, early in the season, expecting the usual miserable defeat. Then thought, it's a Bank Holiday, will still have Monday free, let's go. So glad we did, and so great to silence all the Anfield plastics. On exiting the ground some Scouse dick tried kicking-off, talk about sore losers. Slav gave us many good memories.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:38 pm

What a great day… I was there with my Brother Gary and Hubby Steve.
At 0-2 I still could not dare to believe West Ham would actually win, but as the seconds ticked by slowly all around us stated to believe it was going to happen. The singing got louder; the waiting was almost over. When Sakho put the 3rd in the back of the net and I knew they could not catch us. I had tears in my eyes.
The noise from the stand was unbelievable, Hubby said afterward “Thought the bloody roof was coming off.” It was like an explosion of joy. It was a great day.
Came out of the ground and saw scarf seller – he had the dreaded half and half scarfs with the date on them, sad to say I bought 2, well Gary had to have one as well… Never bought another since… :scarfer: :scarfer:

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Match thread here, if you want to see what you said at the time:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=159678

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:07 pm

Aceface wrote:Hassenstiffi
SchadenHarterSchwanz

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:46 pm

Got utterly ratarsed, went 5miles back to the local pub to my previous gaff where I'd watched the 2006 final outnumbered by swarms of plastic scousers, stood on a chair,sang bubbles and offered them all outside. .....Suitably terrified , one of them gave me a lift home.

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:09 pm

Tenbury wrote:Got utterly ratarsed, went 5miles back to the local pub to my previous gaff where I'd watched the 2006 final outnumbered by swarms of plastic scousers, stood on a chair,sang bubbles and offered them all outside. .....Suitably terrified , one of them gave me a lift home.
:lol:

OFT

Post by OFT » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Tenbury wrote:Got utterly ratarsed, went 5miles back to the local pub to my previous gaff where I'd watched the 2006 final outnumbered by swarms of plastic scousers, stood on a chair,sang bubbles and offered them all outside. .....Suitably terrified , one of them gave me a lift home.

Good work!

As usual I was at work listening to radio. 'There's been an early goal at Liverpool' . Fackin hell I thought, that didn't take those ***** long. 'And it's gone to West Ham' :shock:

Nowt else got done that afternoon.

Noble Man

Post by Noble Man » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:39 pm

My flight to Lanzarote took off at 2.45 that afternoon. Turned off the flight mode about half an hour before landing and the notifications from Flashscores (Best app for live footy score by the way) started to come through. Couldn't believe what I was seeing...... great way to start the holiday!!