Stephen Warnock - expert pundit

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

S-H

Re: Stephen Warnock - expert pundit

Post by S-H » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:00 pm

Westbourne Bill wrote:

She's actually also a very good radio presenter on TS when covering for Brazil. Has a mischievous sense of humour
Rush Green-born but a gooner sadly.
Absolutely, Bill.

She's brilliant on there.

Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:03 pm

hxhammer wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Do me a favour, she's an embarressment
Why?

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:I really liked Alex Scott to start, thought very knowledgeable but is slowly turning into all the other pundits now.

Don Goodman is quality & by far the best for me :thup: Andy Hichcliffe as well is up there.

I like Keane & Souness just for the no mincing words and old school approach. Strachan is not seen much, but he is always worth a listen.
Alex Scott seems to have that media trained vibe about her. Clinton Morrison is a male counterpart who seems to have a similar style.

JLCABA

Post by JLCABA » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm

davids cross wrote:On the one positive note imo.....

Sue Smith...

Whatched her a lot on Sky.......does her homework. Done a few West Ham games where she knew the fringe players.

She is very articulate and good with a nice manner.

I don't go "oh ****" when shes on......quite the opposite. She will hold her own very comfortably in a male group.
Annoying whiney Scouse voice doesnt f*** you off ,...a little bit ?

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:28 pm

Collison Theory wrote:Really? It seems to me that punditry is a lot easier with better job security.
If you're a half wit who doesn't know what they're talking about, yes.

johnnyb

Post by johnnyb » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:20 pm

fjthegrey wrote:If they knew what they were talking about, they'd be working for a football club.
Punditry is money for old rope. Most of them would be running a pub like in the old days.

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:29 pm

Alex Scott is just the female Jamie Redknapp. She just states the obvious.

But has a very lazy knowledge about the clubs outside of the top 6.

An example of her excellent knowledge was before one of our matches towards the end of our season under Moyes. May have been the Gooners at their gaff, when she was having constant digs about our fans protesting against the Board. Clearly not having a clue as to why our fans are so upset.

Lost any tiny bit of respect I had for her after that.

Oh and she has a voice so irrating even a brother would struggle to love.

As for the best pundits, for me it's easily Gary Neville & Don Goodman. Alan Smith, even though can lack sometimes in knowledge over some of the bottom clubs I also find very respectful to all clubs. And never disrespects them. Love Roy Keane for his straight talking too. :thup:

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:44 pm

Clearly, from my significant sample of 2, if you are called Warnock, you are a ****

Collison Theory

Post by Collison Theory » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:46 pm

fjthegrey wrote: If you're a half wit who doesn't know what they're talking about, yes.
Even very good managers often get shafted, and if you're English working your way up from the lower leagues to the top level is almost impossible.

Or just get a nice pay packet from sky for talking about football.

Easy choice I'd think.

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Post by Het-Field » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:54 pm

Punditry is a skill of its own.

Remember when Jimmy Hill was resident in the outer chair on MOTD? Now it’s a revolving door.

Warnock’s comment, particularly about a former European Cup winning club is remarkable ignorance.

waynepin

Post by waynepin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:10 pm

The other week when they had Jose was good, I thought he was excellent, I like Roy Keane as well

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:11 pm

Most are just failed managers so pretty pointless when they refer to tactics

BEIN Champions League last year was great Wenger and Mourinho, two utterly world class managers, Koeman was brilliant the once or twice he was on Sky too, he was levels above what they have

The European football show on BT was the best, I prefer a mix of the proper journalist and players tbh

Keith Andrew is decent, Sutton is okay when not on the wind-up, Hinchcliffe is very articulate.

Dixon on NBC is levels above anything, for some reason as soon as he goes on NBC he is far more brutal and gives great insight.

I don't think Laura Woods really likes football that much more just something she has fell into, she's okay but I think radio suits her as she seems to have a nice cheeky personality

I find Champions League games the worse, you'll get the likes of Rio, Owen and co who were know nothing about the opposition, obviously done no homework and be like oh this Pjanic is a really good player

Clive Allen doing French football I don't get one bit, that truely baffles me

Really I don't listen to the pre and post-match stuff and form my own opinions, as they normally just chuck out cliches ie Stoke/Burnley long ball team, sides should roll over for the big six

'Appy 'Ammer

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:02 pm

Clive Allen played for Marselle so that's understandable. Clarence Sedorf was brilliant so is billic