Aston Villa 0-0 West Ham Utd (16/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Re: ⚽ Aston Villa v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Aceface »

Anderson routinely had a mare in the games where we could have broken free of the pack and jumped to 7th. Need him to maintain the intensity and we'll be half the way to a good result tonight.

Safest bet in the country is for them to score in the first 10 though. What happens after that is harder to predict.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1309 likes

Post by davids cross »

I think West Ham are great and could win the league.
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

Like others have said, big game for us tonight to show exactly where we are and if we are to be taken seriously this year. Everytime we had that opportunity last season we bottled it, but we are a better team this year!

Will be a tough game but I'm confident. 1:2 - Felipe & Haller

COYI :crest:
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 345 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

An early Nobes pen gives us 3rd place in the league for nearly 90 min until an injury time equaliser sends us back down to 8th.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Lanzini with a brace and haller gets 1 to make the final score Aston Villa 1 West ham 3.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

I'm really nervous about this.

People talking about West Ham being a good team this year, part of the chasing pack looking to break the top 4/6, opportunity to beat a newly promoted team and go third in the league on merit.

We're going to go all West Ham, not show up, and fall to a tame defeat, aren't we?

:crest:
Graza

Post by Graza »

Aceface wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:03 am Anderson routinely had a mare in the games where we could have broken free of the pack and jumped to 7th. Need him to maintain the intensity and we'll be half the way to a good result tonight.

Safest bet in the country is for them to score in the first 10 though. What happens after that is harder to predict.
Last season we as a team routinely saw the "brass ring" of cementing our position in that 7th -10th pack at the top end of that and failed miserably. Usually against a bottom half or newly promoted team. Anderson at least can spread the burden a bit more this year with Lanzini and Yarmalenko back, Haller looking like a real step up and with the likes of Fornals and Wilshere to give us a bit more.

This game then while less vital than a number that we threw away last year will definitely show if we've been able to get our mentality right for these sorts of opposition and when we are in this sort of position.

This all said, Villa are no slouches. They've not got a lot of points on the board, but they don't look like they will be cannon fodder this year.
artlin

Post by artlin »

davids cross wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:42 am I think West Ham are great and could win the league.
Yehhhhh. :scarfer:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

davids cross wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:42 am I think West Ham are great and could win the league.
Ok , maybe you're not being completely serious but I'd be more inclined to agree with you if we had more than one Striker at the Club capable of scoring goals .
The potential is there if we had owners with more money or willing to spend more money - they're still only ticking over with the dosh they've got , just doing enough , they've zero interest in Champions League .
Shy Ted
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

The football forces that be, will not allow us to be joint third in the premier league.
:fsake:
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Tonight we find out if we have the minerals!

It's a massive game. We need to turn up in games like this or it's another 9-13th place finish.

If anything I'm looking to see how we hold up defensively tonight, as we shouldn't have any problems finding the net at least once.

0-2 win for us with Haller on the score sheet again.
artlin

Post by artlin »

We have to be careful of the hairstyles tonight.

Just hope the Grealish is not catching. Ooooo, ****ing Peaky Blinders.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Big test for us tonight and will not be an easy game.

My biggest concern is that although we have 7 point's on the board, we have only been convincing in one game and that was Norwich at home.

We could have easily lost against Brighton and Watford. We was solid vs Norwich and would be great if we could put in another shift like that tonight. If we do it should be 3 points in the bag.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1309 likes

Post by davids cross »

"Think like a big team"
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:21 am Ok , maybe you're not being completely serious but I'd be more inclined to agree with you if we had more than one Striker at the Club capable of scoring goals .
If we underperform in the league it will most probably be due to our inability to keep goals out, not failing to score them.
Great-yarmouth-iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Great-yarmouth-iron »

I just hope we dont loose I'll be in the pub watching with a villa supporting friend a win and joint second will be an added bonus going into man utd on sunday. Please dont f**k it up west ham :crest:
woodford
Has liked: 419 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

sendô wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:09 am I'm really nervous about this.

People talking about West Ham being a good team this year, part of the chasing pack looking to break the top 4/6, opportunity to beat a newly promoted team and go third in the league on merit.

We're going to go all West Ham, not show up, and fall to a tame defeat, aren't we?

:crest:
And then watch the misery fest unfurl on here. I'd guess that a bad result will see the return of the relegation thread
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3214 likes
Total likes: 2594 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

I'm really looking forward to tonight.

I'm hoping it will be an excellent game, full of chances. We do have a habit of starting quite slowly though, and I think Villa will be bang up for it, so need to have the intensity there. I'd like to see Fornals have some time on the pitch as well, if Yarmalenko doesn't have the legs for a full 90.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 321 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by miles »

Need to win to keep the pressure on Liverpool.
SA_Hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by SA_Hammer »

miles wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:49 pm Need to win to keep the pressure on Liverpool.
Exactly my thoughts, forsooth the naysayers..