Aston Villa 0-0 West Ham Utd (16/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ads78
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: ⚽ Aston Villa v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by ads78 »

Thought Fabianksi, Rice, Fredericks & Haller all had really good games. Lanzini was good in patches and is clearly coming back to full form and fitness.

Only real disappointments were Anderson who refused to take on the full back and Yarmalenko who just doesn't look fit yet.

Fornals looked good when he came on, and looks to have a bit of pace, just a shame he didn't shoot at the end when he had the chance.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

S-H wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:10 am Mings is flavour of the month for some reason, but the guy is a horrible, dirty player.
From February this year:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserver/ ... resize=685

Anger over lack of punishment for Tyrone Mings after ‘stamp’ on face of Nelson Oliveira
The Reading striker Nelson Oliveira is “disgruntled” that Tyrone Mings will not face FA punishment for the challenge that left him needing surgery for facial injuries. Oliveira, 27, suffered a broken nose and deep facial wounds after the Aston Villa defender stood on his face during the Championship match between the teams on Saturday.

Mings, 25, has apologised and insisted that it was not a deliberate stamp but Oliveira’s wife said that she was certain he had intended to injure her husband and should face a long ban.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ange ... -w9v0tvm32

From 2017:

Bournemouth shock at Tyrone Mings' 'extraordinary' five-match ban for Zlatan Ibrahimovic stamp

Bournemouth condemned the “extraordinary” decision to ban Tyrone Mings for five matches for stamping on the head of Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Wednesday.

Mings was found guilty of violent conduct after landing on Ibrahimovic with his boot during the Cherries’ 1-1 Premier League draw at Manchester United on Saturday.

Ibrahimovic had already accepted a three-match ban for elbowing Mings in the face moments after the incident but the defender contested his own Football Association charge, denying he intended to stamp on his opponent.

An independent regulatory commission not only found him guilty but ruled the standard punishment of a three-game suspension for violent conduct would have been “clearly insufficient”.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... vic-stamp/
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

steps wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:32 am Ok I’m perfectly willing to accept other people’s opinions but I think this game is falling foul of that great KUMB tradition of dressing something up far more than it actually is.

Monday night games are always terrible imho. I can’t recall us ever having a good one. But last night to me Villa looked like a typical Championship side and we looked a team who lacked guile and confidence in the final third. Tapping it about far too much around the edge of the box, we lacked a player who can take a game by the scruff of the neck, Noble can do it for us at time but last night I thought he was off his game a bit.

Fabianski and Rice were the pick of our players for me. Lanzini held on to the ball really well and done it in tight areas, I think he’s stepped it up a notch in the last couple of games.

But we did lack that bit of creativity, Anderson and Yarmo weren’t really at the races. It was a game crying out for Antonio really.

That Marvelous bloke for Villa was quite good and nulled us out a bit.
Would agree with everything you have put in here, thought it was a dreadful game.

Saw a few people on Twitter say it was a real end to end game, the reason being that neither side was capable of holding on to the ball, Villa especially. If Grealish and McGinn are being touted for £50 million, then we should be looking to get close to a Billion for Rice. I would be very surprised if we play anyone as poor as Villa this season. Thought they looked dreadful throughout.

I have been very critical of him in recent weeks, but we missed someone like Wilshere last night. Someone who could put his foot on the ball and unlock a defence.

Thought Haller did well with limited service, was a performance similiar to the City game, where he had nobody in and around him.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We didn't seem to do a lot wrong....but'

Our CB's distribution was a bit random,particularly the headers.

Lanzini's runs were starting too deep,switching with Noble was a worthy strategy,but Mark's passing was unusually below par.

The Masu/Anderson/Lanzini triangles on the left are too intricate and too demanding on their abilities. Zab showed how it should be.

It wont win him many friends, but I think Haller is right in studiedly refusing to chase lost causes, justified by him still having the energy to be in position for that 93rd minute chance.

Loved the game I was on the edge of my seat the whole 90 mins.

Post by 21212 »

S-H wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:20 am Image
You, and a couple of other posters, are demonic in your attempts at shutting down posters who have different opinions to your own. I think you need to appreciate that forums are are about debate, disagreement, and not a mouthpiece for one opinion only.
Patito

Post by Patito »

21212 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 am You, and a couple of other posters, are demonic in your attempts at shutting down posters who have different opinions to your own. I think you need to appreciate that forums are are about debate, disagreement, and not a mouthpiece for one opinion only.
S-H's opinion is that you are boring. Stop trying to shut down his opinion.

Post by 21212 »

Patito wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:49 am S-H's opinion is that you are boring. Stop trying to shut down his opinion.
Interesting that you reply to that post.
Patito

Post by Patito »

21212 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:50 am Interesting that you reply to that post.
If that's the sort of thing you find interesting I feel sorry for you.
simon hammer
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Didn't see the game so cannot comment on it. Happy with the result though, a point away from home and a clean sheet.

Onwards and hopefully upwards!
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 476 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Happyhammer52 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:42 am I would be very surprised if we play anyone as poor as Villa this season. Thought they looked dreadful throughout.
Plenty of people were saying the same about Norwich last week.

As West Ham fans we should know a thing or two about inconsistency.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:36 am Surprised at how many are saying Arthur shouldn't have been given a 2nd yellow. In my book that is a yellow every day of the week and he deserved to be sent off for making such a stupid challenge. Any cynical foul of that nature always gets a booking regardless of how much contact there is, Rice basically said he questioned Arthur on it post game as it was a stupid challenge to make in his interview with Sky.
Unless your team is a "top six" side, in which case you get 8/9 of them a game before you even get a stern telling off.

The contact was minimal (if it existed), we had players back. The arm was the worst bit, but their boy was already in the air like he'd stepped on a landmine by that point so it wasn't really relevant. It's also about consistency as Villa put in a handful of those breaking fouls after the 2nd yellow and were not similarly punished. If all breaking fouls are cards, fine, if only ours are... less so.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Didn't think we did much wrong last night, neither did Villa - we pretty much cancelled each other out to put on a pretty uninspiring match.

Masuaku's second yellow was a bad decision, and I thought as much in real time. Frustrating that we can't appeal the decision given it was two yellows rather than a straight red. I imagine that puts us back to Cresswell at left back, although I'd rather see young Johnson given a chance there for a game instead.

Thought we were pretty good through the spine of Fabianski-Diop-Rice. And thought Anderson played pretty well both going forward and backwards.

Pretty happy to have ended up with a point, to be honest, and think that's a good result - not so long ago we'd have probably lost that.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

Not a bad game for a 0-0. Playing a new team in the early part of the season can be difficult due to the motivation/energy/ organisation. Come next February it may of be an easier game due to squad size and teams understanding them a bit more.

Fab made some great saves and we did not threaten the goal too much. Anderson and Lanzini looked ok and gave as much as they could but maybe a little leggy due to the international games and distance so they did not click as well as they can. Haller was marked very well by the centre halves although he must be happy with the shift he put in. Good performances throughout.

Last season we would loose that game and also I liked the way we wanted to win the game until the final whistle. That is a new West Ham.

Always happy with a point away from home. Another game unbeaten so confidence builds.

Another nice away day.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Whilst i get quite a few of the positives about the performance, and i think a point is a decent result, the elephant in the room is Tom Heaton barely touched the ball, either from shots or dealing with crosses, parries etc

We have to find a way of turning possession and decent situations into creating chances, especially away from home against teams who are fairly solid

The flip-side is Fabianski was much much busier, so for all our possession Villa came much closer to actually scoring
mattyD
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by mattyD »

In general we were okay but every time we got near their penalty area we took too long to make a pass. Nobes, Anderson, Masuaku.... Too many touches, too ponderous. Quite a disappointing performance considering they are not great and we could have gone third. But better than the usual Monday night against the new boys roll over and submit.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Convinced we would have won if we had 11-men at full time. The shame was that we went down to ten men just as we were camped in their half, in the ascendancy, and they had completely run out of ideas, but hadn't done enough beforehand to be in the lead. They were laughably bad when we went down to ten men and I was very impressed with how we dealt with the setback.These past three games is the best I've ever seen a West Ham team keep the ball, now for the cutting edge...

I'm still not that concerned on Yarmolenko, give him time to regain form and fitness, it took Lanzini a few months and a full pre-season so we can be patient with him too. Having said that, I wont grumble if he starts Fornals on Sunday.

My only complaint is that in stoppage time Fredericks had actually got beyond Mings, and if he stayed on his feet it was goal time.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:04 am

Masuaku. Got in behind Villa's full-backs two or three times but just chose the wrong ball I thought. Also, thought he was silly to put his hands on the player for his second booking as it gave Dean a decision to make that he didn't need to (although was still a pathetic decision).

There wasn't a lot of movement in the box at times, or players to cut it back to
In the second half he beat the full -back on the touchline and stuck a lovely ball onto the head of the on-rushing Anderson who really should have done better
If that had been Antonio he would probably have buried it
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

21212 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 am Surprised that many peoples justification of the performance is 'we'd have lost that last season'.
Really strange statement.
I don't think it's about the performance, it's about the season. This year we need to score more goals than last year, concede fewer and gain more points.

Last year we got 7 clean sheets all season. W'eve already got 2 this year. We're not going to play well week-in, week-out. And getting points when not playing well is something that we have not done before.

We missed out on 7th last year by 5 points. A few more defeats turned into draws and we might make it this year.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:28 am There wasn't a lot of movement in the box at times, or players to cut it back to
In the second half he beat the full -back on the touchline and stuck a lovely ball onto the head of the on-rushing Anderson who really should have done better
If that had been Antonio he would probably have buried it
You're right, I just felt that too often he looked for the pull-back. I would have liked to have seen him put a cross in or flash one across the six yard box more. As you rightly say, the one time he did stand one up, was probably our best chance of the game.

I think he did ok, just that he got into lots of good positions but I don't think it led to enough chances. Villa were good against him defensively as well to be fair.
WienIron

Post by WienIron »

Felt like a balanced team performance for me. Fairly solid defensively, but perhaps at the expense of committing more numbers forward. On another day, with one of Anderson, Lanzini or Yarmo showing a flash of their best, we would have got a goal. Unfortunately, none of them were able to come up with an end product (even Lanzini, who admittedly did look close to making things happen). Antonio was - and will be - missed.

I still think we need to give Yarmo more of a chance. By my reckoning, he was the only one to get a shot on target. He has a knack for getting his shots away quickly and accurately - something sorely lacking in our other attempts last night. Even while he's looking a yard or two off the pace, he still gets into good positions and troubles the keeper. His hold up and cut in play should also be ideal for a pacey full back like Fredericks.

Again, we grew stronger at the end of the game - a pattern we've become used to seeing. I'm not sure what he's on, but Rice's fitness levels look particularly impressive in the final 20 of games.

At the start of the season I was concerned we lacked steel in central midfield and defence, while lacking a bit of mental toughness and fitness. Last night has gone a long way in dispelling those concerns. As many have already said, this was a classic game we'd usually lose.