Aston Villa 0-0 West Ham Utd (16/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WienIron

Re: ⚽ Aston Villa v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by WienIron »

Patito wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 am We do seem reluctant to just whip a cross into the box sometimes. Which is strange considering we now have someone who could thrive off that service.
Anyone else think we're under instruction to err towards ball retention in the opposition half, wear down the opposition in the first hour, before going more direct in the final half hour?

A plan which may have worked with all 11 men on the field. Those Villa players looked shagged out at the end - even with a man advantage.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

I thought it was a very good game. Not as good as winning 2-0, but it was really exciting I thought. More exciting than Norwich cos it was cloaser.

It was nip and tuck, but I had a feeling we had the quality to win it. Then we lose the player and the fear set in, but we upped our game and looked more likely. It was literally 1 1/2 minutes into added time that I finally gave up hope that we'd nick it prayed that there'd be no goals in the game. My heart was racing at that point.
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Been a few days since the match. I'm in the generally positive camp for a few reasons:

I thought we were a little off in the attacking 3rd but Villa defended excellently. The way they set up at home defensively also makes me think that teams will give us way more respect this season. They defended deep in numbers and doubled and trebled up on Lanzini and Anderson at times. They were at home so to give us that much respect shows me we are a decent side.

Also that is the first time in a few weeks we have not created anything clear cut, so I'm happy to give us benefit of the doubt for an off night going forwards.

Thought work rate was excellent. Even saw Yarmolenko chase back, twice in actual fact. Shape was great and defence looked excellent. Given how open we were pre season and fist couple of games that was a huge improvement. In fact I'm not 100% but I suspect their 3 best efforts (Wesley header saved, Fab save at the end of 1st half and Grealish late) may all have been offside if VAR was needed. Diop in particular did well against the type of physical striker he has struggled with.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

SiO wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:19 pm Who'd you have as a joint back line? Mings over Fred I presume... I'd stick with Fredericks tbf... Just wondering is all... For potential or just for the next match?
I'd probably have Mings over Ogbonna tbh. Guibert is better defensively than Fredericks and it's probably a toss-up between Taylor and Masuaku. Again, Taylor possibly better defensively and Masuaku better going forwards.

Aside from Haller and Anderson who cost a fortune, I don't think there's too much difference between the two sides either on the pitch, or on paper.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:56 pm I don't get this 'choked' view
What was so pressure-filled that we choked?
Being 3rd after 5 games is not that big a thing, especially when four of the five games were the fixtures we had. I doubt that affected our players in any way IMHO
I've not really seen anyone saying we choked. Many suggested before the game (I was one) that this was the kind of game we failed to show up for or failed to compete in last season. That being a match against newly promoted or bottom half teams, when in good form and with the chance to push on up the league. No one believes (I shouldn't think) that had we gone 3rd on Monday we'd have stayed there all season, but a third win on the trot would have pushed us into the chasing pack conversation far more than a draw or indeed a loss.

It was interesting to see if we could get over this and turn it on. We didn't quite do that, but we were solid throughout, weren't asleep for the first half hour and continued on with 10 men. This is definitely progress, though it won't be enough for a European place.