Michael Owen

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

woodford

Re: Michael Owen

Post by woodford » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:17 am

Hammersfaniow wrote:Ouch.

Met him a couple of dozen times and see him about regularly as he lives about 2 minutes away, can honestly say he’s one of the nicest people you could meet. Speak as you find and all that.

I get that. I've no doubt he's probably a really nice bloke. But as a "TV personality/pundit"? Dull

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:28 am

His goal against the Argies felt like it was the start of something much much bigger. Was always gutted that injuries seemed to stop his England career as soon as it got going.

Was key to THAT amazing night in Germany though. He was unplayable that night.

Shearer comes across as a career bully - and as someone who only supports WHU & England, at the very least it’s a fact that Owen was still pining for a call up for his country at the end of his career, whereas Shearer quit playing for his country when it suited him.

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:30 am

Be in no doubt, that Shearer is an arrogant ****

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:34 am

21212 wrote:When he played you could see that he hot no enjoyment from the game, it was just a job to him.
In this aspect, he was the forerunner to loads of footballers who we now accept as not loving/liking the game and just using it as a job in the PL.
Funny how people accept this with foreign players but are shocked/disgusted when they see it in a British player.
Absolute nonsense.

He was a clinical, ultra competitive goal scorer, which rubbed many up the wrong way. If he’d been a player in the 70’s he’d have just retired to running a pub like most back then, but he’s ended up falling into a career that doesn’t suit him because he’s devoid of a personality.

If he had been a foreign player, he’d have taken the exact same career path. Was actually unlucky not to get more game time at Real and he still scored a decent wedge for them.

Patito’s post under yours about him doing the 14 year old on penalties shows why you’re wrong.

BillericayDickie

Post by BillericayDickie » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:40 am

S-H wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Next level cringe that :shock:

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:41 am

I posted the link to that video earlier in the thread, if anyone wants to watch it.

He is footballs David Brent.

Patito

Post by Patito » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:58 am

S-H wrote:
He is footballs David Brent.

:thup:

Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Post by Sloop John B » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:48 am

This is possibly the most interesting thing to ever come out of his mouth and it's still only a 3/10.

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:52 am

Sloop John B wrote:This is possibly the most interesting thing to ever come out of his mouth and it's still only a 3/10.
For someone as dull as Owen, he certainly needed to add a bit of spice, to sell some copies.

How legitimate that spice is however, is another question.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:10 am

e17, Owen has admitted that for the last 7 years of his career he hated it, and couldn't wait to retire.

I think he certainly stopped liking the game towards the end.

claretandblue82

Post by claretandblue82 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:13 am

He's more boring than the mock Boring James Milner twitter account.

Lovejoy2

Post by Lovejoy2 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:26 am

I remember him co-commentating on BT Sport for us versus Liverpool in the FA Cup a few years back and he was the most biased commentator I've ever heard.

Will never forget his goal against the argies in '98 however :thup:

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:28 am

thejackhammer wrote:e17, Owen has admitted that for the last 7 years of his career he hated it, and couldn't wait to retire.

I think he certainly stopped liking the game towards the end.
There's a great 10 minute on BT a while back, where he spoke through his career and basically admitted once his legs went through injury, he would go hiding as he just knew he wasn't the same player and couldn't the things I suppose expected of him or he knew he could.

hxhammer

Post by hxhammer » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am

Lovejoy2 wrote:I remember him co-commentating on BT Sport for us versus Liverpool in the FA Cup a few years back and he was the most biased commentator I've ever heard.

Sure you don't mean the Everton game? I remember him gving it "look at those wonderful Everton fans, they've benn backing theor side and siging their songs all game"

No bias there then

Oh and i've read a few digging out Shearer? All he's doing is what anybody on here would do should an ex player slag off the club they support

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am

hxhammer wrote:Oh and i've read a few digging out Shearer? All he's doing is what anybody on here would do should an ex player slag off the club they support
Not digging him out, more questioning the way he’s confronted Owen - would have been better if he’d given it the “h’away lad go **** yerself”

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:40 pm

hxhammer wrote:
Sure you don't mean the Everton game? I remember him gving it "look at those wonderful Everton fans, they've benn backing theor side and siging their songs all game"

No bias there then

Oh and i've read a few digging out Shearer? All he's doing is what anybody on here would do should an ex player slag off the club they support
Deffo the Everton game. He was a joke. I actually complained to BT Sport about it :D

Eggs'n'nuts

Post by Eggs'n'nuts » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Lovejoy2 wrote:I remember him co-commentating on BT Sport for us versus Liverpool in the FA Cup a few years back and he was the most biased commentator I've ever heard.

hxhammer wrote:Sure you don't mean the Everton game? I remember him gving it "look at those wonderful Everton fans, they've benn backing theor side and siging their songs all game"

I think he also did something similar when we played Man. City a few years back. We were a couple of goals to the good and he couldn't sound more disinterested if he tried. Then City pulled one back and the change in his interest and attitude completely turned around.

thespider

Post by thespider » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:03 pm

This is all a reminder as to why footy players are paid to kick a ball and not talk.

I hate almost all footy pundits who are ex-players. Danny Murphy is on MOTM every single ****ing week and can anyone here recall a single thing he's ever said about anything?

Samba

Post by Samba » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:56 pm

thespider wrote:This is all a reminder as to why footy players are paid to kick a ball and not talk.
I hate almost all footy pundits who are ex-players. Danny Murphy is on MOTM every single ****ing week and can anyone here recall a single thing he's ever said about anything?
Apart from stating the bleedin' obvious like they all do, no!

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:47 pm

thespider wrote:I hate almost all footy pundits who are ex-players. Danny Murphy is on MOTM every single ****ing week and can anyone here recall a single thing he's ever said about anything?
Jermaine Jenas is the one I can’t stand.

He hasn't worked out how to respond to questions, so everything he says comes across as weirdly antagonistic or aggressive when anything is put to him. Next time he’s on, watch him reply to any question and you’ll see what I mean.

“Would you like a cup of tea Jermaine?”
“Who doesn’t like a cup of tea?!?”

It’s incredibly grating once you’ve spotted it.