Update on where you think we'll finish

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Happyhammer52

Re: Update on where you think we'll finish

Post by Happyhammer52 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:18 pm

Blow Bubbles wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 am
I genuinely believe our team is better than the Leicester team that won the title. But then we’d never have the injury record luck they had. It was the perfect storm.
I'd argue our squad that year was better than the side they had.

As much as people had a meltdown about our opening fixture, we have a good set of fixtures to shape the season. Certainly no reason why we can't finish 8th or 9th.

Danny's Dyer Acting

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:52 pm

Accepting that ManC/Liverpool/Tottenham are comfortably better than the rest, I genuinely think anything between 4th-12th is possible depending on injuries and picking up momentum from the next run of games - there's only Everton away where you'll have the majority having us down for a defeat in the next 8.

As it is, I think we'll just fall short of anything really exciting and finish up 7th or 8th. European place on the cards if everything else falls right.

BostonHammer

Post by BostonHammer » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Had we kept Chicharito I would have said 5th. With the Antonio injury and the inevitable injury to Haller (it's the West Ham way of course), I am thinking we tie in points for 7th but are 8th due to GD.

Gsbgsb

Post by Gsbgsb » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Whilst they have not all been great I still struggle to see last year’s top six not being this seasons top 6 unless one of them has an horrendous season injury wise or one of the challengers has an excellent season from that perspective. Liverpool and Man City are a gulf apart from the rest and whilst Leicester, Everton, Wolves and us can compete against the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Man Utd first 11 versus first 11 their squads are still way deeper and can cope better with the “rigours” of the season.

So somewhere between 7-10th for me and a lot of that will be luck with injuries, who is distracted more by cup runs etc.

scatts

Post by scatts » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:12 pm

Exactly the same here 7-10 assuming nothing worse than normal injury wise. Could be better if everyone that played Norwich goes the season uninjured.

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Post by Clucking Bell » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:00 pm

I'm going to stick with 6th.

I think both Man U and Chelsea will finish outside of the top six and even Spurs and Arsenal might struggle a bit this year. The only thing I'd bet on is that Citeh and the Bindippers will finish first and second. I think Wolves will get found out this year but, Everton, Leicester and us are all capable of getting into the third through seventh mix.

What will inevitably do for us is the January fixture pile-up, where we'll lose Lanzini, Anderson and Haller to injury as part of being spanked 6-0 by Citeh in the FA Cup third round.

Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Post by Tristan Shout » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:17 am

7th to 11th would be my conservative guess, we're good enough for top 6 but we'd need a lot of luck and no injuries

jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:27 am

Tristan Shout wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:17 am
7th to 11th would be my conservative guess, we're good enough for top 6 but we'd need a lot of luck and no injuries
if we need a lot of luck then we aren't good enough for top 6.
the top 6 have strength in depth which we dont quite have. like you said no injuries.. the top 6 cope with most injuries as they have good back ups/strong squad.
top half finish minimum

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:36 am

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:52 pm
Accepting that ManC/Liverpool/Tottenham are comfortably better than the rest, I genuinely think anything between 4th-12th is possible depending on injuries and picking up momentum from the next run of games - there's only Everton away where you'll have the majority having us down for a defeat in the next 8.

As it is, I think we'll just fall short of anything really exciting and finish up 7th or 8th. European place on the cards if everything else falls right.
You can take Tottenham out of that list mate, 11th in 2019, Eriksen wants to leave, the champions league run papered over their terrible form.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:52 pm

I am getting a bit too optimistic for s West Ham fan. I am beginning to think we can crash the top 6. Pellegrini seems to have found the personnel and formation that work. He even has Ogbonna and Masuaku playing well.. and Anderson, Lanzini and Haller look world class.

Ding

Post by Ding » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Having seen 4 games now - and defensive doubts notwithstanding - I haven’t changed from my pre season predictions of finishing top 6. In fact, having seen Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, I reckon 3-6. Injury may in time make this prediction foolish, but I am betting on the manager as much as the squad to compensate.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Ding wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:13 pm
Having seen 4 games now - and defensive doubts notwithstanding - I haven’t changed from my pre season predictions of finishing top 6.
Yarmolenko agrees: https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133875

Rocketron

Post by Rocketron » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:42 pm

Ding wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:13 pm
Having seen 4 games now - and defensive doubts notwithstanding - I haven’t changed from my pre season predictions of finishing top 6. In fact, having seen Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, I reckon 3-6. Injury may in time make this prediction foolish, but I am betting on the manager as much as the squad to compensate.
I'd like to agree with you, but without Hernandes and Antonio we're looking a bit short up front.

Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Rocketron wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:42 pm
I'd like to agree with you, but without Hernandes and Antonio we're looking a bit short up front.
Haller is 6’3... :lol:

pharaoh

Post by pharaoh » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:11 pm

I reckon 7th...we'll have a few slip ups on the way but also some good results against the top 6 (Man City notwithstanding).

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:10 am

7th and a cup please .

need to get a 3rd striker in January if silva doesn't return.

Condorhammer

Post by Condorhammer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 pm

I'd be happy with not flirting with relegation and more importantly, a positive goal difference.
10th upwards.

Graza

Post by Graza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:53 pm

If the team (and crucially Haller) can stay fit we should have enough to be 7th - 9th, with a sniff at 6th.

If we pick up any sort of significant injurys then somewhere between 12th and 17th becons. Our First Team should have enough to give all but the top 2 a game, but the depth below that is wafer thin. Rice, Haller and Fabianski do not have competent understudies and all 3 are key to how we want to play. Side note you might think I'm being harsh about Ajeti and I probably am, but he was nondescript at best against the questionable might of Newport, he needs time to adjust and time to build - if we lose Haller while Antonio is still out the weight could crush him and I don't want that.

Bojangles87

Post by Bojangles87 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Gonna stick with 7th or 8th for now but a few ahead of us still haven't got up to speed so who knows. Would be very happy with 7th and a cup run.

rigoberts song

Post by rigoberts song » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 am

Realistically about seventh. The key thing for once is going balls out in in one or both of the cups we have a very winnable tie against Oxford.
Id like to see us accept that we are going to be safe league wise but play a full strength team in all cup games .I don't care if we are 7th 8th 9th 10th or whatever but to lift the league cup (or dreaming now) the FA cup again would be magical.