Was the Atmosphere more positive Saturday

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

flakwell hammer

Was the Atmosphere more positive Saturday

Post by flakwell hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Is it just me or was the bowl a bit better atmosphere wise on Saturday, if the team keep turning in decent performances could the place start to feel like home ??

wasserburg_hammer

Re: Was the Atmosphere more positive Saturday

Post by wasserburg_hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:33 pm

The commentators on my stream were slagging off the atmosphere saying it was dire.

No idea what it was like in real life, though :P

Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:43 pm

We as football fans are a fickle bunch. Positive game = positive atmosphere.

jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:45 pm

Quiet where I sat but other parts of the ground were okay once we were ahead. Same in most grounds nowadays, the atmosphere generated by the home supporters is largely none existent.

frankiemac

Post by frankiemac » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:52 pm

am i isolated in thinking the issue isnt the fans, but the dreadful acoustics

you can see several, large groups of fans trying to get things going, but the noise just doesnt travel at all

the place is just too big

Patito

Post by Patito » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:58 pm

frankiemac wrote:am i isolated in thinking the issue isnt the fans, but the dreadful acoustics

you can see several, large groups of fans trying to get things going, but the noise just doesnt travel at all

This is the crux of it. People who were near me at the Boleyn have all been split up and spread about as well which doesn't help.

Some areas stand all game and sing a fair bit, plenty of areas sit quietly most of the time.

When everyone gets going it's very loud but completely different to the old girl.

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:58 pm

It was very quiet in the first 10-15 minutes, but then we weren't really in the game at that point. To my amusement we scored very soon after the Norwich fans started singing shall we sing a song for you.

Picked up a fair bit second half, but then they were giving us a reason to make noise. We're a long way off Ipswich Play Off noise levels, but then we were in the last few years at the Boleyn. Those days are gone i think.

Edit

Good point about noise not travelling as well as the place is too big. I could see pockets of fans singing but i could barely hear them.

Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:02 pm

flakwell hammer wrote: could the place start to feel like home ??
No

Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Patito wrote:When everyone gets going it's very loud but completely different to the old girl.
It takes until right at the end of a chant for the rest of the ground to even realise it was being sung, so once they join in it's just one side singing again. Doesn't help that one song will get sung and then everyone stops for a bit, need to get a few going once after each other like at aways or in the pub.

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:14 pm

Been asked this before and I said most of the time its like a Mexican wave of sound that starts and carries over to the left and right of where a chant originates and then you can see it go around as someone opposite you cannot hear fully what the chant is until it gets closer to them and its died where it started.

I can see block 113 clapping but I cannot hear the chant unless it gets picked up in the crowd and spreads.

europeanscum

Post by europeanscum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:16 pm

i sit in 222 near the away fans and i thought the atmosphere was decent tbh, best i've heard in a while

romfordneil

Post by romfordneil » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:16 pm

jonbentleywhu wrote:Quiet where I sat but other parts of the ground were okay once we were ahead. Same in most grounds nowadays, the atmosphere generated by the home supporters is largely none existent.
Were the Wolves fans noisy though Jon? :wink:

Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:44 pm

Decent atmosphere down in 103. But then, it always is when we’re playing well. Which is the key thing... And was exactly the same at UP!

Those who don’t feel the atmosphere at good games, are they up in the gods rather than the lower tier?

EastVillageHammer

Post by EastVillageHammer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:53 pm

It was decent compared to usual.

The problem we have is that in the Academy there are so many empty seats. You accept up there are going to be lots of corporates entertaining, but week in and week out we have rows of empty seats around us. Not sure if theyre unsold or people just not turning up...

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Post by dodger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:06 pm

The second half was good in general, a really positive feeling around the place.

As others have mentioned though, it’s simply to do with how the team is playing, and that was also true at the Boleyn. Also agree with those saying it’s too big to get the kind of cohesive singing going that we had at the Boleyn.

Scarcely heard a more rousing reception for a player coming off at the new ground than when Noble was subbed though.

daytimedave

Post by daytimedave » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:29 pm

dodger wrote:

Scarcely heard a more rousing reception for a player coming off at the new ground than when Noble was subbed though.
a much deserved standing ovation ! a moment to treasure for all .

Post by 21212 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Impossible to feel an atmosphere in this ground.
I was in 136 and it was the usual, a game going on but you don't feel part of it. Some singing over there, and over there, but it's like being in 8 mini stadiums watching one match.
Miss UP.

hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Post by hadleighhammer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:34 pm

frankiemac wrote:am i isolated in thinking the issue isnt the fans, but the dreadful acoustics

I agree, but many continue to keep saying it is all about the fans or the players and nothing to do with the stadium....

I'm in 130 and Saturday could see but not hear other areas making noise. That's all to do with the stadium, nothing to do with the fans. They probably thought the same of the 130 lot as it was decent there Saturday.

If that game was at the BG it would have been rocking, and before anyone says it, yes towards the end the BG could be **** when the team were ****, but a performance like Saturday would have seen the atmosphere crank up in a manner we did not see happen at the OS.

clawhammer

Post by clawhammer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:41 pm

dodger wrote:The second half was good in general, a really positive feeling around the place.

As others have mentioned though, it’s simply to do with how the team is playing, and that was also true at the Boleyn. Also agree with those saying it’s too big to get the kind of cohesive singing going that we had at the Boleyn.

This :thup:
It now seems that people are beginning to migrate together into their previous groupings. Those who were never at UP are beginning to learn how to behave at football matches. Still a work in progress but the atmosphere is slowly getting better. A good performance from the team is always key and we have had precious few of those especially in the first two seasons.

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:48 pm

jonbentleywhu wrote:Quiet where I sat but other parts of the ground were okay once we were ahead. Same in most grounds nowadays, the atmosphere generated by the home supporters is largely none existent.
It is quiet at Goodison