Internationals this week

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Georgee Paris

Re: Internationals this week

Post by Georgee Paris » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Any chance Cullen could switch to England now?

IronZ-79

Post by IronZ-79 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 am

I always fear we will lose a player to injury during the international break. Not heard any bad news yet.

Yarmelenko played roughly an hour in both Ukraine games which should add to his match fitness. Manu looks like he only played the last 15 minutes vs Mexico last night.

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 am

England are ten years unbeaten in qualifying now.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:23 am

even southgate admitted the qualifiers are too easy. They need to mix it up a bit . as soon as we come across anuyone decent in the tournament stages we usually lose, as per last summers world cup !

anyway glad the international break is over and we can return to club footy.

Patito

Post by Patito » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:43 am

S-H wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 am
England are ten years unbeaten in qualifying now.
It's coming home.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:54 am

like last year ! we got done everytime we played anyone decent !

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:59 am

If you're not posting lists, you're a miserable sod. :lol:

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 am

true !
I just don't like international footy anymore. rather club football now. I am being positive about the team at the moment.
even started to lay off having a go about the dust bowl !
reducing my lists output at the moment as well !

:lol:

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:12 am

:D :thup:

Collison Theory

Post by Collison Theory » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 am

hammerman11 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:54 am
like last year ! we got done everytime we played anyone decent !
Last year we won a competitive game in Spain, a friendly in Holland and another competitive home game with Croatia. We reached a world cup semi final, only losing after extra time. The only other games we lost were two dead rubber world cup games and one other game with Spain.

Some people will just criticise the national team whatever happens...

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:11 am

Collison Theory wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 am
Last year we won a competitive game in Spain, a friendly in Holland and another competitive home game with Croatia. We reached a world cup semi final, only losing after extra time. The only other games we lost were two dead rubber world cup games and one other game with Spain.

Some people will just criticise the national team whatever happens...
No doubt we have a good team, but some of the opposition in the qualifiers is awful. Our second half last night was woeful, yet we could still have added two more goals to our 5, whats the point of that as a contest or a spectacle? In any sport it should be peer playing peer, and not the miss-match's that Uefa and FIFA dole out in pursuit of TV money. Ronaldo scored four last night, I am sure he was happy, but that is like Ali having to fight some random bloke who happens to weigh a similar amount and has a pair of gloves, boots and shorts, its over before they get in the ring and the public are getting conned out of ticket money and TV subscription on the basis that a huge proportion of what they have to watch England do is roll over teams that in boxing terms are bum's.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Estuary wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:11 am
No doubt we have a good team, but some of the opposition in the qualifiers is awful. Our second half last night was woeful, yet we could still have added two more goals to our 5, whats the point of that as a contest or a spectacle? In any sport it should be peer playing peer, and not the miss-match's that Uefa and FIFA dole out in pursuit of TV money. Ronaldo scored four last night, I am sure he was happy, but that is like Ali having to fight some random bloke who happens to weigh a similar amount and has a pair of gloves, boots and shorts, its over before they get in the ring and the public are getting conned out of ticket money and TV subscription on the basis that a huge proportion of what they have to watch England do is roll over teams that in boxing terms are bum's.

Euro Champs qualifying is always a little bit less competitive b/c more teams qualify vs World Cup, but our group is particularly easy this time round because the higher seeds Czech Rep, Bulgaria etc are having a particularly bad spell. Not all the groups are as easy as ours. France, Germany, Portugal are not having it all their own way

There is no alternative to qualification. All countries need to be in it to give everyone a chance. If it was suddenly decided that all the best teams were going to get automatically qualified to the Euro champs then that would [rightly] be dismissed

I am sure UEFA would much rather England play Germany/ Spain/ France every couple of months than have to have the qualifying process that currently exisits, but as i mentioned above, what is the alternative?
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:16 pm

hammerman11 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 am
I just don't like international footy anymore.
Probably easier to just not post then

Patito

Post by Patito » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Estuary wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:11 am
No doubt we have a good team, but some of the opposition in the qualifiers is awful. Our second half last night was woeful, yet we could still have added two more goals to our 5, whats the point of that as a contest or a spectacle?
I thought last night was both a contest and a spectacle. :thup:

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:36 pm

That's the point of the Nation's League though, right - to get the bigger clubs playing each other (whilst giving smaller nations a chance to play against those on their level and potentially earn a qualifier spot for the Euros).

For what it's worth, whilst last night was an extreme example of it, I don't think England have a good enough defence, and that's an issue that will stick around for a while if the U21s are anything to look at - Panzo and Godfrey are the only two in that squad who might offer something to the first team in the years to come, but I'm not sure they'll mark a huge sea change in our defensive quality. The World Cup had the same issue, and we've seen it in other games since but been both not as bad as last night and also lucky that teams haven't converted the chances we've presented to them.

Our midfield is fine, although the balance is off for me. I think Winks alongside Rice would be a better way to go, with perhaps Maddison playing in front of the two pulling strings for the front three. Southgate is very obviosuly trying to ape the Liverpool set up but we don't have the defenders to do it well.

Our strikerforce is obscenely good.

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:09 pm
Euro Champs qualifying is always a little bit less competitive b/c more teams qualify vs World Cup, but our group is particularly easy this time round because the higher seeds Czech Rep, Bulgaria etc are having a particularly bad spell. Not all the groups are as easy as ours. France, Germany, Portugal are not having it all their own way

There is no alternative to qualification. All countries need to be in it to give everyone a chance. If it was suddenly decided that all the best teams were going to get automatically qualified to the Euro champs then that would [rightly] be dismissed

I am sure UEFA would much rather England play Germany/ Spain/ France every couple of months than have to have the qualifying process that currently exisits, but as i mentioned above, what is the alternative?
But there is little point in players who play in our league playing against Gibraltar or similar, unless the game is free to watch for TV and at the stadium. Sport is only such if it is peer v peer, otherwise its an activity.
There needs to be a re think about how these things are structured. Streamline the competition by ability, as in a league system, maybe have three "leagues", with a trophy for the lower two and the tournament proper for the top, but the top of the second tear swapping with the bottom of the top tear for the next qualifying competition.
I was bored watching that game last night and I expect some of the issue with the first ten minutes of the second half was that the players were to.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm

The beauty of the World Cup and the European Championships is that any nation can qualify, no matter how small. Over the years a number of 'minnows' managed to overcome the odds and qualify at the expense of bigger nations - Latvia, Albania, Iceland all spring to mind. Similarly, bigger nations have missed out on tournaments recently - Holland, Italy etc

In addition, the qualifiers give the smaller teams the chance to pit their wits against the bigger teams, which is what football is all about. Luxembourg, for example, are much improved in last four years.

In theory we could do preliminary rounds of qualifying in Europe [like they do in Africa] to weed out the really poor teams, but that would take away the prospect of games like the other night when Andorra were only 90 seconds away from drawing in Turkey.

It is only a couple of qualifying tournaments ago that we laboured to a 2-0 win in Andorra, so it is not as though we have always smashed qualifying. We just happen to be in a very very weak group this time round and have been very convincing against teams who are supposed to be half decent [such as 2nd seed Czech Rep and 3rd seed Montenegro]

Qualifying is what it is. We won't always romp it in such a convincing manner as this. England crowds are still very high, and TV audiences strong so, for me, it is still by far the best system, and the one that is fairest for all nations

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:06 pm

well we had a BLINDING night...

stadium was packed (I am guessing maybe 25-30K) kids, families, people having to sit in the aisles because there was no assigned seating. tickets were capped out at 20 dlrs (ours were 15) and the crowd had a blast. people walking to the stadium from all over town. ever seen rice and chicken dinners in a ground ? I haven't before.

this is honest:

bumped into perhaps one of the only other gringos (other than us) there - have known him for ages. he was off getting beer.

we found a few seats, we had to break up our small group and my friend's wife got offered a seat with this group of Ecuadorians. she offered me her seat and found another a few rows away. turns out that I was sitting with my friend and his Ecuadorian family when he came back !!!!!

how strange !!!!!

anyway there is no screen for action replays - it's a run down stadium - a small running track around it but you were still close to the action. stadium is in town, in a neighbourhood. needless to say, it brought flashbacks of being a kid at the old Boleyn Ground.

Ecuador won 3-0 - a cracking thumping header, penalty and a golazo.

off to The Pub for a couple of beers afterward, about a 10 minute walk away.

all in all a brilliant brilliant night.

:scarfer:

from the local paper:

https://ww2.elmercurio.com.ec/2019/09/1 ... s-galeria/

not in any of them !!!!

Collison Theory

Post by Collison Theory » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:09 pm

All other major confederations except South America have some form of pre qualifying. There are too many **** teams in qualifying, the UEFA qualifying model was formed when there were only about twenty countries entering, when the USSR and Yugoslavia were still in existance.

For these qualifiers, you could have ten groups of four. Teams ranked top 15 go straight to the final round of qualifying, teams ranked 16-55 play a home and away preliminary, like in Africa. 25 winners join the top 15 for a six game qualifying with all homes and away. All biggish games, all important. No one should be playing ten qualifiers, it's too many. There's still the four Nations League play off spots to go for.

If that's too radical, the least we could do is make the bottom ten pre-qualify, that takes out five team for an even fifty, ten groups of five, same format as now but we don't get treated to France and Germany thrashing Liechtenstein and San Marino a couple of times.

prophet:marginal

Post by prophet:marginal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Looks like Lanzini came on as a sub vs Mexico, in Argentina's 4-0 victory. Lautaro Martinez snagged a hat-trick