Would you sell Declan Rice for £90m?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

eastsider

Re: Would you sell Declan Rice for £90m?

Post by eastsider » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:22 am

Nahh!! 8-)

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:36 am

No way.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:14 am

I’m with tackler on this. If Rice is worth £90m, we won’t be able to keep him. If we invest the money well, and can sign a replacement and two other long term first team players. I would sell him. In addition to Man U, Chelsea are interested. If we can get them to throw in Reece James, Ethan Ampadou, and Jake Clarke-Salter + say £65m, I’d definitely take it as we would have strengthened our squad with young players who I believe are all about where Rice was a year ago and with the £65m we could find a replacement, possibly even an upgrade.... that is less than what Man City paid for Rodri. We could replace Rice with Marc Roca and still have enough left over to sign Bristol City’s Han-Noah Massengo, and Swansea’s Joe Rodon. By selling Rice we could bring in an adequate replacement in Roca, replacements for Sanchez (Ampadou), Reid (Clarke-Salter), Zabaleta (James), Ogbonna (Rodon), and ultimately Noble (Massengo). We would have upgraded every position affected except Rice’s (possibly) and We’d have done so by dropping the average age by 6 years and having locked down the defensive part of the squad to pair with our attaching excellence of Anderson, Haller, Lanzini etc with a squad that could comfortably play together competing for a top six spot for 5years. We also would have enough home grown players to give us space to sign a top non-homegrown player or two.

reo_coker20
One line wonder

Post by reo_coker20 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:14 am

Yes if 90m was invested straight back in but with our current owners I can’t see it. What we should be doing is keeping rice and buying players to break into top 4 signing haller and Anderson isn’t enough to do it but again can’t see that happening with current owners.

TommyHammer

Post by TommyHammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:16 am

All depends on the player doesn't it? If Rice wants to go, we let him go. If Rice wants to stay, we keep him.

Chicken Run Supreme

Post by Chicken Run Supreme » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:37 am

I'm sure Rice will want to leave when the Champions League playing teams come calling and we will sell him. I'm also sure we will sell for considerably less than the £90m that's being talked of.

frankiemac

Post by frankiemac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:47 am

sadly, it wont be our choice

when the big boys come knocking, and the fee is big enough, he will go

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:43 am

prophet:marginal wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:09 pm
The fans I know and speak regularly about football with reckon he's one of our best performers, but think he shows potential, more than raving that he is the real deal or anything.

In the same vein, whilst I wouldn't say that we overrate the kid, have we actually watched him take a game by the scruff of the neck and really boss it? That may come, of course, but, well let's put it this way, £90M in the board's mouthpiece paper? He's not seriously worth nearly £100M, not even in this day and age. That's the kind of fee that double title winner Kante would command.
Interesting.

My go to source of transfer valuations is the CIES football observatory who have a remarkable track record at forecasting player values ( most clubs pay a subscription to them, and it operates effectively as an indexing system)

They have both players , Rice and Kante in the same valuation bracket 70-90m euros, the difference being their age. Kante at 28 is a player who on his next deal will be seeking a final payday package, Rice has it all in front of him.

The traditional school of thought is you can't move up the league table by selling your best players, and to a certain extent I think that still holds true. However, taking Leicester City as the exception, they won the league, then sold some of their best players, but reinvested the money wisely, the Kante fee buying Madison and Maguire. The former will be joining the latter at Old Trafford in the summer for £75m plus.

So for me, whilst I'd be reluctant to sell, I wouldn't oppose it on principle, but I'd insert a caveat that if we sell, make sure we sell at the time we have a manager who knows what they are doing when it comes to reinvesting the money.

@Bristolhammer - with regards the Rio money being wasted, :arry: was never supposed to spend any of the fee on anyone.Brown paid him a £300k bonus for talking up the fee (Redknapp had a slice of profit on transfers contract), and the money was supposed to be spent on the new West stand. Brown went on holiday and good old :arry: blew the lot aided and abetted by Storrie, and once Terry came back nocely tanned, :arry: departed....

Alan Pardew's Dad

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:45 am

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:37 am
I'm sure Rice will want to leave when the Champions League playing teams come calling and we will sell him. I'm also sure we will sell for considerably less than the £90m that's being talked of.
Now this I agree with.

I just can’t see us getting £90m for him. Like with Arnie and Payet, there will be talk of high sums but ultimately if the player wants to go, we’ll get beaten down on price to something stupidly low.

We never seem to sell at a top price. Well, £7.5m for an ageing Hartson was ok, but £90m for Rice, ain’t happening.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:00 am

It is hard to predict future fees.
This year's 65m could be next summer's 80m

If Rice is in the England team in the Euros next summer and England do well then he will command a big fee, esp if the foreign clubs are sniffing about. That is what happened with Maguire. A half decent world cup and his value sky rocketed absurdly

If he and us have a fairly bog standard season this season, and he doesn't make the England first eleven for Euros then value will be a lot lower.

My prediction is he will sign for Man U after the Euros for £80m

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:07 am

Tony Cottee is co-hosting the breakfast show on TalkSport, he mentioned earlier that he see's Declan ending up as a centre half.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 am

what we should be doing is looking to add 3 quality players in January or more likely the summer to really push on. we have the set up with a decent manager and team of coaches and scouts. we have a decent squad for the first time in many years. It would vbe a shame to start dismantling the team by selling our best player.
we need a new CM, CB and a 3rd striker as priorities. also depending on how fredericks masuaka and Johnson do we may need a fullback. a decent reserve GK will also be needed if trot is deemed not good enough.

once rice goes then players like haller diop lanzini Anderson will start thinking they may be better away from stratford.

keep your best players and sell your dross. we have done the second part this season only cresswell left to be sold for around 5m.

just show some ambition for once west ham and go for it. This is likely to be gold and sullivan`s last chance to win something with west ham, lets hope they take it.

Hugh Jargon II

Post by Hugh Jargon II » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:17 am

If Ole pays 90 million for Dec he is bonkers. I would let the player decide if the bid comes in.

Hugh Jargon II

Post by Hugh Jargon II » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:19 am

S-H wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:07 am
Tony Cottee is co-hosting the breakfast show on TalkSport, he mentioned earlier that he see's Declan ending up as a centre half.

I agree. The top midfielders can do everything. Ala Bryan Robson. Steve Gerrard. Dec will never reach those abilities imo. But he could be as good as Rio at CB.

kitthehammer

Post by kitthehammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:24 am

The sad thing is, once Noble goes, we have little to cling on to regarding players we identify with. You could say that's just modern football but he's kind of the last thing to represent being at Upton Park and being local and dedicated to the club.
I know he was brought up at Chelsea but Declan staying could mean more than simply a player going, particularly as he's probably the closest thing to replacing Noble in position and possibly becoming captain too.
Ultimately it's his choice, but that's the difference, Mark Noble saw past the glory and plays for HIS team, and subsequently, justifiably, will be revered in the same breath as the likes of Billy Bonds by the club and it's fans.
Yes £90 million could buy us two decent central midfielders, but who will probably leave within 4 seasons and have no identification with the club or the fans. And unless another Mark Noble comes through the academy, our team will be filled with journeyman players who are totally alien to us.

Graza

Post by Graza » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:31 am

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 am

there is no loyalty in football but rice knows that we rescued him when booted out by Chelsea. I reckon we will see him as captain next season and then he may go when he is around 22. however if we are in Europe and challenging for once things may be different.

no clubs have the likes of noble anymore.
city - all bought players apart from foden who gets the odd 10 mins when they are 3 up !
Liverpool - ALEXANDER ARNOLD has broken into the team along with Gomez and matip. so they may stick around for a few years.
arsenal - all bought and foreign
spurs - kane and winks possibly could stay long term. I reckon if they don't win anything this season then kane will be off.
man utd - mctominay iand rashford are in the team.
everton - all bought
wolves - coady
Leicester - all bought

so its not just us who have a bunch of players that have not come through the ranks.
pelle does give youtha chance and maybe one or two from diagana Coventry powell Johnson Holland will make it.

Penfold711

Post by Penfold711 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 am

My opinion is that since the players are about the only assets the club have left, any sale of Rice (and other top players) will be a precursor to Gold and Sullivan selling up.

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:05 am

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:45 am
Now this I agree with.

I just can’t see us getting £90m for him. Like with Arnie and Payet, there will be talk of high sums but ultimately if the player wants to go, we’ll get beaten down on price to something stupidly low.

We never seem to sell at a top price. Well, £7.5m for an ageing Hartson was ok, but £90m for Rice, ain’t happening.
An ageing Hartson? He was 24 when we sold him

OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 am

If he’s prepared to stay, no amount of money should be enough to tempt us to sell.

If his head is turned and he’s angling for a move, we get what we can.

Meantime, we keep giving him as much love and attention as we can to hopefully stop/delay his head getting turned.