Would you sell Declan Rice for £90m?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

YorksHammer

Re: Would you sell Declan Rice for £90m?

Post by YorksHammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:07 am

hammerman11 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:49 am
Liverpool - ALEXANDER ARNOLD has broken into the team along with Gomez and matip. so they may stick around for a few years.
I mean, Gomez they picked up as a youngster from Charlton after he'd played a season there, and Matip is a Cameroonian who was a free transfer from Schalke...

I think with Rice, if Cullen and Diangana continue to shine on loan they'll be included in the squad next season which will give us a little nucleus of homegrown players.

claretnblueglasses

Post by claretnblueglasses » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 am

Seems to me that plenty are now jumping on the “Rice is s***” bandwagon after last night.

If a manager with the pedigree of Pellegrini actively moved him into midfield when he didn’t have to believes he’s got what it takes to play there, then I’ll take his word for it.

No doubt his distribution could do with some ironing out, but that sloppy pass was uncharacteristic of him, as he doesn’t often give the ball away like that.

I’ve no doubt in my mind that he will put in a MOTM worthy performance against Man Utd in two weeks to silence his criticisers.

Patito

Post by Patito » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 am

claretnblueglasses wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 am

I’ve no doubt in my mind that he will put in a MOTM worthy performance against Man Utd in two weeks to silence his criticisers.
I'm hopeful he can nullify Grealish on Monday night.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 am

I would yes.

I could do with the money to be honest.

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 am

Many more performances like that one at the start of the second half last night for England and he wont be valued at £45m let alone £90m, he was not alone but that was a clueless first ten minutes of the second half where he and the team seemed to have switched off completely.

Would I sell him for £90m? In our clubs current position no, it sends out all the wrong signals when from a footballing point of view we are where we want to be, in the pack for a top eight finish and a tilt at a cup due to an improving team, his sale would torpedo that. If Dec goes a lot more than his boots go with him, as while we might have a £90m player, we don't buy them so we replace with a lesser player. And even if we did sell and buy three £30m players, a DM, a RB and LB your then dealing with new faces and personalities, do they adapt well to the club and a whole lot of other variables which if we don't sell we don't have to deal with and we retain a player who is one the best in his position.

As someone posted earlier, you don't improve a team by flogging your best players, but if the height of the clubs ambition is 10th-8th then sell. I don't believe that it is.

sosc67

Post by sosc67 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 am

If we can hang onto Rice imagine how much better he would be by time time he turns 24. Don't sell.

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 am

sosc67 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 am
If we can hang onto Rice imagine how much better he would be by time time he turns 24. Don't sell.
Factoring in the typical West ham depreciation & likely injuries - I'd say about £7.4m

James P

Post by James P » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:37 am

Declan isn’t going to spend his whole career at West Ham. I just hope when he does go we get the maximum for him.

chelmsfordhammer91

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:43 am

As others have said, I would sell him for 70+ as long as we used the money as productively as possible.

However, unless it helps improve our squad dramatically, I'd rather see him have a career with us and be our new noble (but better).

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 pm

If he developed into a Kante-class of player and a bid of 90m came in and he wanted to go, then I'd sell and buy an Ndidi and a Maddison etc.

If we sold a Bale or Lukaku and bought a whole bunch of players of random quality I'd be inclined to say no. It all depends on how much we trust the Daves with reinvestment and the capabilities of Manuel and Mario.

@TFSH_WHUFC

Post by @TFSH_WHUFC » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Categorically NO!!!!

£90m for the man in the street is absolutely a ridiculous amount of money however in the world of premier league football this is not, especially when dealing with Man Utd who were paying Sanchez 500k A WEEK and just spent 80m on Maguire, a defender.

Tell me again why we moved to OS??.............Next Level.........which means keeping the likes of DR and building the team on this, if we sell it will just be same old WH selling our silver........... :thdn:

I suspect GSB will accept this bid if its coming..........

Who next.....Anderson? Haller?

OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:58 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 pm
It all depends on how much we trust the Daves with reinvestment.
So that'll be a 'no' then

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:57 pm

That is the problem none of us trust the board. if we sell rice then we will continue to sell our better players until we are back where we were a few years ago but without the BG. we moved for the next level , part of which is keeping your best players.
to be fair we have only sold payet and arnautovic because they stank the place out.

depends on the clubs ambition as to whether rice wants to stay. be captain of a mid table team and never win anything - he will be gone in 2 years.be captain of a quickly improving west ham team challenging for cups and europe then he may stick around.

BostonHammer

Post by BostonHammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 pm

frankiemac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:47 am
sadly, it wont be our choice

when the big boys come knocking, and the fee is big enough, he will go
Or we might become one of the proverbial "big boys" in enough time to dissuade him.

BostonHammer

Post by BostonHammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Penfold711 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 am
My opinion is that since the players are about the only assets the club have left, any sale of Rice (and other top players) will be a precursor to Gold and Sullivan selling up.
Do you really think that the American Consortium who have supposedly bought the club hush hush are going to let Sully sell Rice, Anderson etc...before they take hold of the reigns? I think not!

GuyDemelsPositioning

Post by GuyDemelsPositioning » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Not a lot we could do if he wanted to move on, but wouldn't let him go if it was up to me. Think he's going to become a very important player for England.

Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:16 pm

There are very few clubs that would not sell a player of Rice's level for £90M, and we are not one of them.

It's a ridiculous fee, in a ridiculous market, for a player of his age, experience and ability.

If a genuine offer was made of that sort of figure then the club would be unlikely to refuse it, and Rice would be mad not to go as it would be from one of the very top teams. Personally I don't think he is at the level required to secure a place at one of those clubs, yet, but his progress this past year or two has been phenomenal. He has shown that he takes criticism on board and learns from it, and that's a great attribute to have.

He will learn from the mistakes like the misplaced passes against Kosovo, with one leading to a goal, but will also take a lot of positives from that game. In the main I thought he had a decent game.

He's a good, young player, and will only get better. But a £90M player??

The touted fee is bonkers, but then you look at the fee that Harry Maguire went for and it doesn't look quite so ridiculous does it?

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:34 pm

claretnblueglasses wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 am
Seems to me that plenty are now jumping on the “Rice is s***” bandwagon after last night.
Thing is, I don't think you can overly blame people – he really doesn't look half the player he does for us when he's with England. It'll come I'm sure, but he's been pretty ordinary in most of his appearances.

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:41 pm

People balking at the price as if it's a no-brainer. Thing is, £90m isn't actually that much. It's the cost of two very good, established players. Unless our staff are eagle-eyed or brave enough to identify genuine top-drawer, young, homegrown talent like Maddison, Gomez, Alli and Maguire all once were, and can steal a march on our rivals to get them (and we would need to sign homegrown), then I can see that £90m not getting you that much.

flakwell hammer

Post by flakwell hammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:14 pm

Declan will leave in the next season or two as he will want to play C/L football and win things, lets be honest that aint happening at our place, ive been going 30 odd years and seen us win f-ck all.

we just need to make sure we get proper money for him and then reinvest in the team perhaps bring in two quality players