Would you sell Declan Rice for £90m?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Graza

Re: Would you sell Declan Rice for £90m?

Post by Graza » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Basically unless he wants to go or a record breaking amount of money was on the table we'd be nuts to sell. Now if someone comes in and offers him 7/8 times his wages and us 90m, if he wants to go he's gone.

What's important is that we don't tout him. That we keep him happy and hope he doesn't want to go. To be honest with the protracted contract talks last year I was fuming. It was obvious that we needed to tie him down and all the protracted haggling was just an absolute nonsense. If he'd said I'll sit on my contract and then leave for nothing we'd have been screwed.

If he does go for big money reinvesting becomes the most important thing. Imagine we have a big season, Haller gets 20 goals, Anderson is turning it on more than not and Rice is looking really solid but we fall just shy of a Europa place. We could lose one of those for big money if we strengthen far beyond the pitiful net spend of this Summer. But if one goes what of the others. Haller might consider it's ok to stay another year because he needs to prove he can do it more than once, but Anderson? He might shrug and demand out too. If we lined it up so that the out was announced followed by his immediate replacement and at least one other player that pushes us in the right direction, preferably after having already made a Marquee signing before all this then you might say it's worth it and we've moved the club on, you might get the others to want to stick around and see what happens.

Now do I believe the board could/would even want to do that? The other examples of more competent owners blowing vast wads of cash on mediocre players that never make it are myriad and they bothered to spend the cash.

Graza

Post by Graza » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:34 pm

claretnblueglasses wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 am
Seems to me that plenty are now jumping on the “Rice is s***” bandwagon after last night.
It's the curse of modern football, oversaturated content, over analysis (yes I'm as guilty of that as many) and memories like goldfish on many make it all such overblown twaddle.

Of all the criticism I've seen, not one person has said that Dyer would have done a better job of cutting out any of the chances let alone goals.

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:12 pm

The best way to keep any of our 'star' players is to qualify for Europe IMO.

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 pm

I think we need to put it into two categories as currently is, is he good enough to play for a top team every week ie a Liverpool, Man City etc no but is he good enough to be played/signed by someone like a Manchester United yes without a doubt

Alan Pardew's Dad

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pm

steveyrockstar wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:05 am
An ageing Hartson? He was 24 when we sold him
Ha! The expanding waistline put years on him in my mind.

Think we must have sold him by the pound.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:45 am

I think we are at a crossroads with Rice, and perhaps even our other good players like Anderson. If they develop into Champions League Caliber players, the only way we keep them is by paying them champions League money and improving the squad enough to give them the belief we could be in the Champions League one day.
The best way to keep Rice is to sign his best mate Mason Mount... but I doubt that will happen. We could sign his new England teammate Ben Chilwell, but that would be a little harsh on Arthur, also I’m not sure we’d pay his £50m price tag.
The smart thing to do would be to sign his former Chelsea Academy teammates Reece James, Trevor Chalobah and Ethan Ampadou, along with QPRs Eberechi Eze, Reading’s Omar Richards and Danny Loader and Cercle Brugge’s Jonathan Panzo. Those 7 would probably cost more than Chilwell, but you could sell Rice on the vision that along with himself, Johnson, Trott, Diangana, Holland, Coventry, Powell, Ajeti, Fornals, Diop and Cardoso, we are assembling a young, mostly home grown squad full of quality that he is born to lead.
We’ve sold Chicharito, and at the end of the season Sanchez and Zabaleta will be gone. Ogbonna, Snodgrass, Cresswell and Reid are all over 30 and declining so Reece James would replace Zabaleta, Ampadou would replace Sanchez, Loader would replace Chicharito. In time ( or even now) Chalobah and Panzo would replace Ogbonna and Reid, Richards would replace Cresswell. Eze is just because he is an awesome talent.

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:12 am

@TFSH_WHUFC wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:26 pm
Tell me again why we moved to OS??.............
The selfish greed of G & S...

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:31 am

Peaches wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:45 am
I think we are at a crossroads with Rice, and perhaps even our other good players like Anderson. If they develop into Champions League Caliber players, the only way we keep them is by paying them champions League money and improving the squad enough to give them the belief we could be in the Champions League one day.
Trouble is footballers careers are short.
Hardly any talented players are going to hang around at a club at our level on the potential promise of Champions League football/ winning trophies etc, when they can sign for a club that can offer that opportunity immediately.
The nature of football as it is, is that we could sign £200m worth of players and still only have a small chance of breaking the top 4, let alone establishing ourselves in it.
Man U may not be in it this year, but any given season they probably have a greater than 50% chance of getting in it the season after, or winning a cup. Leicester won the league, but Kante still realised that moving to CHelsea gave him better immediate and longer term prospects because they were much more likely to be challenging for the next seasons.
The fact that Declan's best mate will be playing in the Champions League this season doesn't help!

It is a bit of a double edged sword. If we come 6th, it will mean we have had an amazing season, but our players will then be massively in demand from those established clubs who can offer Champions League/ good chance of trophies every season. Will even Europa League be enough to keep them?

pezza20

Post by pezza20 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:53 am

Declan just signed a 5 year deal with us, he has no intention of going anywhere for the next 3 or 4 seasons. At that point he will be entering his prime at 24/25 years of age, have played for England hopefully for all of that time and will then be open to moves abroad. If anything happened before that point it would be because the dwarf has instigated it, not Declan.

I said at the time of his contract negotiations on here that he had no intention of going anywhere else, he loves it with us, and knows he is loved by the fans and treated well by the club.

We should just enjoy having an academy player on our books who is now an England international and will probably end up to be one of our most expensive players sold in the future ... but not yet ...

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:09 am

pezza20 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:53 am
Declan just signed a 5 year deal with us, he has no intention of going anywhere for the next 3 or 4 seasons. At that point he will be entering his prime at 24/25 years of age, have played for England hopefully for all of that time and will then be open to moves abroad. If anything happened before that point it would be because the dwarf has instigated it, not Declan.

I said at the time of his contract negotiations on here that he had no intention of going anywhere else, he loves it with us, and knows he is loved by the fans and treated well by the club.

We should just enjoy having an academy player on our books who is now an England international and will probably end up to be one of our most expensive players sold in the future ... but not yet ...
i always trust what you say Pezza, but things change in football very quickly
Declan the 20 year old may be certain he wants to stay at West Ham, especially as things have developed very quickly for him. However, Declan the 21-22 year old after 18 months training and playing with England team mates playing CHampions League football may not think the same, especially if he has a good Euros and the big clubs start making firm offers

Patito

Post by Patito » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:57 am

pezza20 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:53 am

I like the sound of this. The kid really does seem like he's got his head screwed on, as opposed to the likes of Berahino etc. (remember him?)

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:32 am

Playing in Belgium now for Zulte Waregem, is Berahino.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:00 am

Do I want us to sell Declan Rice? No. Would I sell him for £90 million? No, not yet. If a bid was offered and we accepted or he said he wanted to go, for once, I actually think we'd spend the money wisely. Without our current manager and director of football, then never in a million years would I think we'd spend it properly, but with these two I do.

It could be that if we were to accept the bid and Pellers and Co did spend it wisely, it could make us stronger as a team overall.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure our Declan is on the autistic spectrum. Just his little mannerisms and the way he is in videos and interviews. If he is, how wonderful it would be to give hope to other kids that the world is still your oyster.

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Post by btajim - mcfc » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:36 am

Every player has his price with the possible exception of Messi. Even Ronaldo has played for a few. Of course you would sell Rice for £90m. It'd be irksome to replace DeBruyne or Aguero but it's possible. They're not the only players in the world.

S-H

Post by S-H » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 am

-DL- wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:00 am

As an aside, I'm pretty sure our Declan is on the autistic spectrum. Just his little mannerisms and the way he is in videos and interviews. If he is, how wonderful it would be to give hope to other kids that the world is still your oyster.

Funny you say that, I've actually thought the same.

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:28 pm

I think he will undoubtedly have his head turned whilst on international duty.
I really don't think he will still be here in 2 years, unless we somehow miraculously qualify for CL football.
It doesn't really matter that he's signed a long contract.
Contracts mean nothing now days.

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:50 pm

If an acceptable (to Sullivan) offer comes in from a CL club the likelihood of Rice turning round and saying no I'm staying here are zero IMO.

Coops

Post by Coops » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:53 pm

If, at Christmas, it looks that we are in danger of qualifying for Europe next season, there is a good chance they will sell him in January.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:31 pm

Coops wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:53 pm
If, at Christmas, it looks that we are in danger of qualifying for Europe next season, there is a good chance they will sell him in January.
why would they do that when they know full well they would get significantly more money next Summer if we qualify for Europe and Rice also participates in the Euros?
They would be doing themselves out of about £20m by selling in January and not the summer

Graza

Post by Graza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:31 pm
why would they do that when they know full well they would get significantly more money next Summer if we qualify for Europe and Rice also participates in the Euros?
They would be doing themselves out of about £20m by selling in January and not the summer
Because if we got into Europe they'd have to take those short short arms and ram the into their deep pockets to find a cheque book to strengthen the squad enough that we could play all the extra games and not get relegated.

I also think it was tongue in cheek...