Would you sell Declan Rice for £90m?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

OrrMakesItThree

Re: Would you sell Declan Rice for £90m?

Post by OrrMakesItThree » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 am

No.
End of!!!!

Coops

Post by Coops » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:48 am

No of course not, anybody who says yes hasn't been paying attention.

Why would any fan want to sell our best young prospect to further line the pockets of the dildo twins?
Does it give you real pleasure imagining all the plush leopard print furnishings the money would buy?

Patito

Post by Patito » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 am

No.

I see questions like this getting asked all the time. Would you sell Diop for £xmillion? Would you accept £xmillion for Anderson?

Why can't we just enjoy some of these players instead of auctioning them off in our heads? It;s all very odd.

Last week Dec said:
“I’ve still got so much to learn. I love it at West Ham - the connection between me and the fans is special, I’ve grown to be one of the fan favourites and the manager loves me. This is the best place for me to play my football.”
He's not going anywhere in January.

OFT

Post by OFT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am

S-H wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:00 am
I wouldn't mind betting, that his future departure might coincide with the dildos selling the club, pocket the Rice cash, make a tidy profit on the club, and Sullivan can ride his Shetland pony into the sunset, whilst Gold gets lost in a cupboard at the Olympic Stadium.
:D

It's difficult to imagine anyone paying that amount or equally anyone refusing it if offered.

They tried to make us sell our Declan
But I said No No No

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:17 am

To whom?...Where would he go??
Abroad?....too early.

Blue Mancs / Bindippers?.....they don't need him.

Red Mancs/Sp*rs?.......why go from a mid table team on the up ,to a mid table team on the slide?
Last edited by Tenbury on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

WienIron

Post by WienIron » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:17 am

Under the current ownership it's a no. They'd probably reinvest the 90m (to avert a Burnley style riot) and then pocket the pre-existing plans for net spend.

With decent owners who would use the 90m as an addition to the pre-existing war chest (lets say 50m for arguments sake), I'd be happy to see Pelle/Husillos work with that kind of money.

Duff

Post by Duff » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 am

For me it would just be the same old West Ham again, every time we look to be getting somewhere we sell our best.

Would be just the same as selling Rio in my opinion, that was ridiculous money back then and look what happened.

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:49 am

We sell players like Rice, we're going to need to replace them with homegrown players because all our overseas quota will be taken, and we know how much those players cost! Otherwise, we'll end up with the smallest squad imaginable. And some people already think we should be upgrading on our other homegrown players (Cresswell, Fredericks, Wilshere, Antonio, Noble)!

And what's the point anyway if you're just gonna flog off all your best Academy products? Have we learnt nothing from Rio?

mike1961

Post by mike1961 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 am

Of course not.

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 am

On the fence - too much money to turn down, but we don't have a player that could immediately replace him with a limited drop off in quality in my opinion.

If we could get £90m in for Rice and send £30m the way of Leeds for Kalvin Phillips, I think we'd be doing OK. But Phillips has just yesterday signed a five year deal with Leeds, so I doubt he'd be available, especially not in January.

Realistically if we're going to sell, we'd be better off keeping him through the Euros next summer - that's going to put his profile up higher, assuming he remains a starter for Southgate, and we could see more interesting bids come in for him from other clubs if he and England shine in that tournament.

It's all about what we'd do with the money. I suppose the answer to the question, for me, is 'yes' - but only if we have an identified replacement to come in and spend that money wisely.

A sale of Rice but signing a high quality replacement for him, as well as improving one or two other positions, would be good business.

AlfieG

Post by AlfieG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:28 am

For £90m? Of course I would.

Thats because I know the price of everything and the value of nothing...... :thdn:

D. Sullivan and sons.......

Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.

Post by Sauce! » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am

No. Rice is not on the menu.

ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:33 am

miles wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:30 am
He'll be worth 150 million in another two years. Busquets will need replacing soon.

This is the correct answer

Patito

Post by Patito » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 am

YorksHammer wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 am

If we could get £90m in for Rice and send £30m the way of Leeds for Kalvin Phillips, I think we'd be doing OK. But Phillips has just yesterday signed a five year deal with Leeds, so I doubt he'd be available, especially not in January.
He's desperate to stay in Leeds for the duration of his career. The club were messing him around during contract talks earlier in the summer but his heart was still set on staying.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:24 am

First thing is £90M would be an opening offer and the final offer would be higher.

Would I sell? If I could make an overall improvement to the team for the money then yes. If it were to go on solid gold dolphin-shaped bath taps and hideous wall coverings then obviously the answer is no.

claretnblueglasses

Post by claretnblueglasses » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 am

Southampton have been selling their players for the best part of a decade, and while they continued to find good value replacements, they seem to have finally have hit a road block.

If they managed to keep hold of most of those players, they would most certainly be in a greater position as a club and a team than they find themselves right now.

arlhe

Post by arlhe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:43 am

If he pushed to leave there is very little the club could do about it.

Do I want him to go? No. We'd struggle to get a good enough, English qualified, player in to replace him.

Nothing to do with the board, just a reflection of the fact we'd have sold the best around.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 am

No.

It's not a blanket refusal to sell players – I was in favour of selling Diop when the figures started getting mooted around £70m-£80m a few months ago – but given the psychic scarring that lingered after selling off the family jewels in the 90s and early 00s it's not worth it.
Last edited by Aceface on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 am

I think one of the reasons Rice looks so good in our team is because he does so much covering for deficiencies in other areas. IF he were to be sold and the money invested in reducing or even removing those deficiencies, perhaps we wouldn't need someone of his calibre to do the job he does in the current unbalanced squad.

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Post by Het-Field » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:52 am

No.

The timing is incredibly important. The spine of our team has to be Diop-Rice-Anderson-Lanzini-Haller for the next few seasons. We’ve paid top brass for these guys (and in Rice’s case) nurtured him to the level where he is our top DM and an England starter. His maturity now is breathtaking so his future could be nothing short of extraordinary.

But, there is always the nagging suspicion that he will potentially want a move in order to play CL football on a regular basis. The fact that he started at Chelsea means that he has known football elsewhere, and the defection from Ireland means that he has the capacity to see himself elsewhere, so there is little reason to believe he is another Noble in terms of single mindedness in terms of the team he plays for. Hence, he may ultimately want to
leave, at which point our hands our tied.

However, if he doesn’t want to go, it’s nit worth taking the money.