Josh Cullen

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

steveyrockstar

Josh Cullen

Post by steveyrockstar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:19 am

Don't think this guy has had his own thread for a long time.

Been getting rave reviews for his Ireland debut on Monday night and apparently on fire for Charlton in their surprise start to life in the C'ship. Could he yet have a future for us? Would love that to be the case. Local lad, seems very likeable, a hard-worker and will always be forever remembered for losing a tooth in that cup match!

The Old Man of Storr

Re: Josh Cullen

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:46 am

Was just reading about Josh Cullen's Man of the Match performance for the Republic of Ireland against Bulgaria - nothing flash , just a hard worker - if he continues in this vein could he be Mark Noble's natural successor - I hope so .

The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:55 am

It is good to finally see him getting a chance in the Championship and doing well at that level. I think this season is his last chance to impress and push his way in, so hopefuly he continues doing well.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:57 am

In the nicest possible way, he's a championship player. Nothing about him suggests he'll make the first team of a top 10 PL team.

But you never know, look how Noble has improved with age?

EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:04 am

I think he will make it at the top level. He will get better with experience and age and personally I hope he gets a chance for us next season playing in the Noble role with Noble being his mentor.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 am

Won't make it with us. Not good enough.

Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:28 am

Good to see he is getting some recognition, he's a decent player.

But he is in the last year of his contract with us now I believe and Pellegrini seems to have looked at him a fair bit in a couple of pre-seasons. So I would expect him to move on to someone like Charlton permanently and make a pretty good career for himself.

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:34 am

He may become a Premier league standard player but I also think it won't be with us. He needs as many minutes as he can get to develop. Could be a case of Leon Britton.

S-H

Post by S-H » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:36 am

fjthegrey wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 am
Won't make it with us. Not good enough.
Exactly right.

If he wasn't on our books, would people really be happy going out and signing him for our first team?

prophet:marginal
Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yQRp4j ... e=youtu.be

Post by prophet:marginal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:51 am

I think it's a credit to the player, as an individual, that he has been recognised for a full cap whilst both on loan and outside of the Prem. Sure, RoI has a smaller pool of talent from which to choose, but, on two levels, he should feel fairly confident about his own abilities. Charlton are doing well, with him in a central role in their team, and he won MotM yesterday.

He has two problems, too:

1. the top tier is dominating by players who bluntly have a height/build advantage over him. In a fine margins environment, this probably does hinder his progress, and

2. He has emerged at the height of the loans market. In reality, all clubs aspiring to be top 6, or even top half, nurture far more players, through their academies, than they can ever realistically assimilate into their first team set up. They use the cream. They retain the next layer of capability, for the loan market, which has its own levels (of fee, no doubt) and they release the rest.

It isn't the same any more, when the squads were much smaller and a kid might get deployed in a crisis and really rise to the challenge and force his way in. That happens with only the real cream of any given academy's crop.

If I were his advisor, I would be looking for a club that had a fair-to-good chance of promotion, so that Cullen could be drafted in as an integral part of a team that then succeeds in that aim. West Ham are profiting from his abilities, but not in the old-fashioned sense.

Like Burke before him, he needs to leave us and develop a career elsewhere.

miles
This site...

Post by miles » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Kante is tiny and so was Makelele. He's a good footballer, Bowyer and McCarthy will be good for his development.

IronZ-79

Post by IronZ-79 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:07 pm

He seems to have something about him based on the reviews you hear.

I thought Noble was done a couple seasons back. But watching him last season and this, I don't ever question him starting. He seems a better player now with the high energy players around him...keeps things ticking along nicely.

Maybe Josh has similar traits and can develop into this type of player...

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:21 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:34 am
He may become a Premier league standard player but I also think it won't be with us. He needs as many minutes as he can get to develop. Could be a case of Leon Britton.
Exactly my thoughts. Staying somewhere like Charlton after his loan deal might be the best bet. Not too far a move away from home, familiar surroundings from having spent half of last season and all of this season there, a respect for the current manager (Lee Bowyer) and a team if it carries on its current form will stay up this year.

frankiemac

Post by frankiemac » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 pm

will probably churn out a really good career in terms of top level championship / lower level prem standard...see matt holland / leon britton

prophet:marginal
Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yQRp4j ... e=youtu.be

Post by prophet:marginal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:46 pm

miles wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:06 pm
Kante is tiny and so was Makelele. He's a good footballer, Bowyer and McCarthy will be good for his development.
Fair point, although they may be rule-proving exceptions?

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Generational talents at their respective roles.

Makelele was very fast over 5-10 yards and was supremely strong.
Kante is rapid and has the best engine of any player in world football.

They also aren't/weren't tasked with doing anything but winning the ball and keeping it safe when in possession.

Cullen looks an all round type midfielder to me. A jack of all trades. They don't really exist in the high level of the game anymore. You have to excel at what you do, whether that's winning the ball, screening the back four, playmaking, goalscoring.

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Maybe not in the higher echelons, but a lot of premier league squads have em.

And to the question, would we be happy if we were buying a lad like him, arguably yeah. If we picked up a young midfielder who was performing well in the Championship and had made a strong start to international football, people would think it a smart gamble.

Not sure I think he’ll make it with us, but he’s got a crack at having a Premier League career in the future.

MKD

Post by MKD » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:39 pm

The closest player I can see to Cullen in terms of how i see his career going is Harry Arter,he will probably get a few years in the Prem at a smaller team, but is probably going to play a lot of his football outside the top flight. By no means a bad career at all, good luck to the lad, I don't really see him playing for us but would be happy to be proved wrong

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:42 pm

I may be wrong, but he strikes me as a hardworking, tigerish, functional and very tidy midfielder, who allows others to flourish around him. We've had a few of those over the years who've played an understated role. Think he could be a very decent squad player, especially with the homegrown ruling. But I suspect he'll want to play more regular football than that.

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:43 pm

If he continues producing the goods for Ireland, then England may come knocking...