West Ham Utd 2-0 Manchester Utd (22/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by ChzMff »

I think Haller is bloody brilliant. His touch, intelligence and hold up play are unbelievable. We need to get players closer to him rather than him changing what he’s doing.

As for the game itself, wow. It was like Man Utd playing us in years gone by. It wasn’t a go 1-0 up game, drop deeper and hoof. We for the most part looked in control while attempting to pick passes forward when available and if not, keep possession. This was summed up by a passage of play in the first half where Diop intercepted a dangerous looking ball and rather than lump it, played a nice ball into Fredericks and 2 passes later we’re on the edge of their area.

Everybody played their part. I actually think Anderson played well. His defensive play and work rate was in the main, exceptional. He has this great tendency to just nick a ball. Fornals and Yarmolenko also put in real shifts.
TGfromBarking

Post by TGfromBarking »

Mr Moon wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:44 pm Just returned home from today’s great win. Was watching the Sky coverage we recorded so that beyond revelling in the joy of victory, hoping to hear positivity from the Sky commentators and pundits. I was sorely disappointed having never heard such a continuously biased pro-Manure diatribe! Neville and the numb-skull commentator even resorted to the old “not sure, it’s so far away I can’t see” rubbish. How many points ahead of those Old Trafford losers do we need to be before we get even the smallest amount of respect? 😡
A friend of mine who is a United fan that I was watching with reckoned Mourinho, Neville and Keane are all anti-United !!! :shock:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

It was petulant from Neville today and very unprofessional, all because we were beating his team.

Digs at the stadium, mocking Noble (because he wasn't Scholes) for not burying that clever corner we attempted.

Odius little prick.
S-H

Post by S-H »

I would love to know the number of headers Haller won today, it seemed like every one.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

S-H wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:07 pm It was petulant from Neville today and very unprofessional, all because we were beating his team.

Digs at the stadium, mocking Noble (because he wasn't Scholes) for not burying that clever corner we attempted.

Odius little prick.

And a spectacular failure as a manager.......Mouthy knob
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

S-H wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:08 pm I would love to know the number of headers Haller won today, it seemed like every one.
your wish is my command !!!!!

:lol:

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/13760 ... ter-United

Haller - aerial duels won - 9 (am pretty sure he won a huge clearing header from a corner or deep free kick)

next closest was Diop with 3

Maguire won 4
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I thought we were pretty comfortable without looking spectacular. We look very solid at the back regardless of who the personnel are. We desperately missed Lanzini and Antonio, but Yarmolenko looks like he’s returning to the player he was before the injury. I thought Haller was awesome again, very little service, but won everything in the air, held the ball up and led the line brilliantly. Anderson was off his best, but his touch for the first goal shows how he can still change the game even when not at his best. Ogbonna and Diop were excellent again, but fir me Noble was our MOTM. He absolutely bossed the midfield.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:18 pm Also sounded like Wan-Bissaka had Anderson in his pocket, so wasn't at his best.
I didn't think he did really, Anderson had a bit of a wander for much of the game, both wings, middle, popped up with a couple of decent tackles too.

He wasn't having his best day at the office though, struggled to get his passes where he wanted them, lots of good ideas not quite backed up. He can blow hot and cold as a player. Today was a cold day.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Nobles first time volleyed pass out wide to Anderson 1st half... :thup:
S-H

Post by S-H »

Cheers 'Oust :thup:
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Deft little ball to Yarmo for the first, but largely agree he was a bit 'off' today. Don't think that was all to do with his marker(s) though.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:31 pm Nobles first time volleyed pass out wide to Anderson 1st half... :thup:
Absolutely, my highlight too.
since86

Post by since86 »

Never ever have I seen us beat a “top 6 side”, or even a very poor Man U side, without us being at our absolute peak.

We won without ever really hitting top gear, which is incredible when you think about it: just how good are we? And how awful is Man U?!

The spine of our team was solid: Fab had another tremendous game, booking aside Ogbonna looked comfortable, Rice and Noble looked comfortable, and Haller won everything. We did need to move the ball a lot quicker at times and Fornals just needs to back himself more, but we did, and shall, miss Lanzini until he comes back.

But hey, 2-0, third clean sheet in a row, top 4, beat Man U. We should all be very happy hammers right now!

:scarfer:
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Graza wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:25 pmI didn't think he did really, Anderson had a bit of a wander for much of the game, both wings, middle, popped up with a couple of decent tackles too.

He wasn't having his best day at the office though, struggled to get his passes where he wanted them, lots of good ideas not quite backed up. He can blow hot and cold as a player. Today was a cold day.
Fair enough.

Like I said in my post, is all I had to go on was Pat "Marcus Rashford fan club" Nevin's co-commentary. He kept bleating on about Anderson being wary to take Wan-Bissaka on because he had no answer to him, resulting in him being subbed.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Couple of moments of individual brilliance were the difference - hats off to Cresswell and Yarmo. Yarmo's was much, much harder than it looked, he made it look easy. Special mention to Fabianski for the shot-stopping yet again.

Agree with all the comments regarding Haller - comparing players today to those of yesteryear is a mugs game . . . so let me be the first to say that IMHO he's even better than David Cross at holding up the ball on his todd up front. And like everyone else knows, including our gaffer, we need to make sure a player of his quality gets decent chances to shoot. He had one decent through ball late in the game from Nobel - and he couldn't control it, so the chance was spurned. Haller needs to be played in for a good 5-6 chances each game to get the goals we bought him for.

Wan-Bissaka (sp?) did an excellent job on Anderson.

Missed both Lanzini and Masuaku today for the great first touches and all those little triangles in and around the opposition box.

And at the heady heights of 5th in the table I get altitude sickness so let's see how we're looking come Easter. Strongly suspect that injuries - specifically the lack thereof - may determine both our perspective of and final position in the table.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

We have played better and got less so take that all day long.

Special mention for Creswell's performance. Thought he had a decent game today and the freekick was superb.

Fornals got better as the game went on. Think we need to be patient with him. Looks like he hasn't adjusted to the pace of the game.

Yarmelenko looked fitter and Jack looked good when coming on.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

ereford ammer wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:41 pm I hope this is one of several instances where we put one of the 'big six' in their place. We are capable of beating any of the London teams. Now can we please ensure that we thrash the blunts next month?
We're going to need to pull some results out against them. Not just in the interests of improving but to keep momentum up through the season.

There's a spell through December where we play Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in 6 games and a period Jan/Feb where it's those plus City in a 7 game span (with the majority away).
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Ok , I'm not really angry or pissed off , just an observation really , -

I just took a peep at tonight's TV listings on BBC iPlayer to see when Match of the Day 2 is on - it reads ' Highlights of today's matches with Liverpool , Chelsea , Man Utd and Arsenal in action ' .

For no other reason I want to see us win the Premier League this season . :D
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Beating that lot to go 4th and Essex winning the 20/20.. perfect weekend :D
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Great result and once again didn't get out of 2nd gear really. Noble and Rice were awesome in the middle and Haller is a proper, proper target man which is even more annoying that Antonio is injured because he would be feeding Anderson and Antonio in all day with their pace in behind. Also thought the whole back 5 were very good with Cresswell having a very good game. Anderson and Yarmo were a bit off but they managed an assist and goal so i'll take that any day of the week as a bad day at the office!

Opinions as well eh, I thought Wan-Bissaka had one of the worst performance i've seen from a footballer. In the first half all he did was boot the ball away to no-one and for the rest of the game just gave the ball away or kicked it out of play. 80 million for Maguire and 50 million for him is farcical.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully our injuries aren't too bad and we can afford to rest a few midweek ready for a big game vs Bournemouth who we've struggled against usually.