West Ham Utd 2-0 Manchester Utd (22/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by kayahammer »

De Gea this morning, the ink not quite dry on that new contract. "What the f have I done?"

Great performance. Think Fornals is lacking confidence. Not up to pace yet with PL. But he'll come good. Diop was immense, as was Dec. Feel sorry for Haller. Hasn't really had much service since joining, but we're winning, and he's a menace up front.

Let's tie Pellers down to a longer contract :scarfer:
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Thing is..I don't think we were ever out of third gear...and we still cruised it.

Should be plenty left in the tank.

:crest:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

I'm not gonna stop DL's unbeaten run..

Just seen, he's already started the Oxford thread. Get in!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The issue I've got with Fornals is he's still calibrated to the time and space he's used too in la Liga and against inferior defenders. It's a whole different ball game here and he's getting caught out occasionally dawdling on the ball. It's understandable as he's so new to the League and he'll eventually get there but it is a minor criticism I've got of him. He does link play and muck in defending well though which is a positive. At the minute, I'd play Wilshere ahead of him when both are fit.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

I fully expected us to win and would have been disappointed with a draw, even more so when Rashford went off injured. I don't think we'll ever play a weaker and more lacklusture Man United side again. I saw someone say on twitter that it felt like a routine victory and it's hard to disagree. I don't just think that's to do with Man Utd being pony, but also due to the way Pellegrini is transforming the mentality of West Ham United.

It weren't the greatest of games, we were defensively solid but I do with sometimes we were just a tad more deadly going forward. It seemed at times that we made all the right moves then got to the final third and just couldn't make that final ball. Perhaps that's more to do with the likes of Lanzini being out.

Good performance from the back four, Rice and Noble superb, thought Fornals was disappointing but again he still needs time to get to grips with this league. Haller's hold up play was good and absolutely chuffed for Yarmolenko because I think some our fans forget at times that he has come back from a season-long injury.

On another note, I did find it funny that Neville, Keane etc. were talking up Man Utd to still be what they were under Ferguson, and how awful it is with the state the club are in at the minute, without acknowledging that perhaps their former team mate isn't the man for the job. It wouldn't surprise me if Pochettino ends up there soon.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

I do appreciate that schadenfreude isn't always a great quality to have but it's not just about beating Man U yesterday, it's realising that they are a pretty poor side , led by a poor knee jerk managerial appointment and perhaps most importantly, all the other PL managers know it .

They are properly in the ****, have spent a fortune and will be stuffed by the best teams and outfought by the teams that due to a lack of quality have to play that way.

Will enjoy watching it.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Routine win is correct.

Absolutely dead in the stadium for the majority of the game yesterday. Maybe the worst atmosphere I've seen there in fact. Sunday hangovers all over the place.

The reality is that beating that red Manc team isn't actually that much of a big deal. It didn't feel like a big deal in the ground. Last season when we did them 3-1 felt great and was a real buzz. Twisting the knife into Mourinho.

Their team is poor, they have a worse manager. Ours is better. I'd say our squad is better in fact. Not many of their guys on the pitch yesterday would get in our team.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

The most pleasurable aspect of the result, is that we managed it without hitting top gear, and that's what will hurt those entitled c**** the most.

I mean, when you have no other option than to bring Jesse Lingard on upfront, you know you are in trouble, would he even make our squad?

Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Hands up who has a hangover this morning.

o/
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Bit dusty yeah.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Hanging!

Second time in a year, that we have beaten them on or around my birthday, I could get used to this.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:44 am Routine win is correct.

Absolutely dead in the stadium for the majority of the game yesterday. Maybe the worst atmosphere I've seen there in fact. Sunday hangovers all over the place.

The reality is that beating that red Manc team isn't actually that much of a big deal. It didn't feel like a big deal in the ground. Last season when we did them 3-1 felt great and was a real buzz. Twisting the knife into Mourinho.

Their team is poor, they have a worse manager. Ours is better. I'd say our squad is better in fact. Not many of their guys on the pitch yesterday would get in our team.
I agree it was awful. Really quiet. I actually don’t think we played well offensively we just did what we needed to
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I managed to get a ticket for the game and enjoyed the day out. I think we spent the first 20 mins thinking we were playing a
Man Ure team of yesteryear and we’re a bit hesitant. Once we realised they were gash, as others have said, we won at a canter without really having to impress.

Thought Nobes had a good game but I think he needs a bit of support in the centre to give us a bit more creativity which I thought Wilshere did.

Fab, Diop and Oggy at the back were totally in control and I’m starting to forget that sense of dread when the opposition is bearing done on our goal!!

Had some good banter with some Man U fans on the tube back - some were singing songs about Gordon Hill and Denis Law ... I had to explain who they were to a couple of Yank Man U fans.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The Old Mile End wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:19 am Thing is..I don't think we were ever out of third gear...and we still cruised it.

Should be plenty left in the tank.

:crest:
I called it a Comprehensive victory. Thought Norwich made more of a fist of it than Man Ure.
e17
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

Hadn’t had much to drink before the game and yet despite it being a pleasant enough afternoon, already have virtually zero memory of anything from the first 30 minutes.

If I was a cockney red, I’d be deeply worried about what I witnessed not just yesterday but so far this season - their ambition yesterday appeared to be to try and suck up as much possession as possible and literally nothing else. Mata and Matic looked like the only players willing to take the ball, and both looked ****ed.

Easily the worst team we’ve played at Stratford in 2019. Based on yesterday, Norwich will finish above them.
Last edited by e17 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Not playing particularly well but still winning comfortably is a trait of a great team.
Doing this against Man United shows just how far we have come and how far they have fallen.

We shouldn't fear anyone now, on our day we can match them all. I haven't felt this good about our team since the Payet/Bilić season.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Not sure it was 3rd gear more like 2nd gear. we didn't play well and it was a poor game but we beat them so easily ! on to Bournemouth for what will be a tough match against an in form team.

I thought the atmosphere was awful yesterday but I was watching from home. the sky love in was awful yesterday with us barely getting a mention before or after the match. neville and co were a joke and had to slag the stadium off in order to get back at west ham for beating his beloved mancs.

not sure why it was so poor but it looked full but sounded dead.
fab his usual cool and superb self.
defence played well including cresswell who scored a beauty and was only beaten once albeit it was only man utd.
midfield was hit and miss. noble was good and rice was average for me. fornals looked a little lost but towards the end he was growing in confidence . still gave it away too much though.
yarmolenko I thought was poor but scored a good goal. it is clear he is not fully fit so plenty more to come from him
Anderson was a shadow of his normal self. why doesn't he take players on any more ?
haller won every header and good link up play but we create nothing for him. we need to start giving him some chances or he will be stuck on 3 goals for a long time and will start to get frustrated.

wilshere looked good when he came on but I do fear the worse when he tackles !

shame about fredericks but hopefully he will be fit for bournemouth.

all the talk of man utd missing players but we were without three starters in antonio lanzini and masuaka.

5th place and looking good .
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

S-H wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:55 am I mean, when you have no other option than to bring Jesse Lingard on upfront, you know you are in trouble, would he even make our squad?
What, the squad that has room for Carlos Sanchez…?
S-H

Post by S-H »

Sanchez the good solid pro.. or J-Lingz, bro?

Sanchez all day.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Atmosphere was alright yesterday in Bobby Moore stand. Not the best we've had but plenty that have been a lot worse.
Nearly home now, just passed Stirling Castle !!