West Ham Utd 2-0 Manchester Utd (22/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by Patito »

hammerman11 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:01 pm does no good to boo our own players. if cresswell plays then he gets my full support. afterwards is different. I reckon he will put in a good performance as he knows he is dropping down the order for a first team place. just need him to defend properly.

hopefully Pogba doesn't play as he is a monster who when in the mood can hurt anyone.
He, and Martial, will be back for this one.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

I already said in the Villa thread, I really think, at the moment we are in a very good shaoe.. here an analysis of our momentum, so far:

According Whoscored, we have 4 players in the top 30 (Villa has only a single one), what somehow for me tells (with the exception of Leicesters case and maybe Artsenal too), imho, we have (been) a better team than Villa and all the teams in our near.. We just need to stay in shape and get the results according this momentum:

1) Roberto Firmino
2) Raheem Sterling
7) Teemu Pukki

11) Sébastien Haller
15) Moussa Djenepo
16) Anthony Martial
17) Richarlison
- Diego Rico
18) Felipe Anderson
19) Emiliano Buendía
20) Virgil van Dijk
21) John McGinn
23) Willy Boly
24) Manuel Lanzini
26) Johann Gudmundsson
28) Ashley Barnes

29) Arthur Masuaku
30) Wilfred-Ndidi

Resume:

- Liverpool: 5
- Man City: 6
- ManU: 1
- Tottenham: 2
- Chelsea: 3
- Norwich: 2
- Wolfes: 1
. Burley: 2
- Leicester: 1
- Villa: 1
- Everton: 1
- Arsenal: 0
- Newcastle: 0
- Brighton: 0
- Bournemouth: 1
- Sheffield United: 0
- C. Palace: 0

Top 60:

31) Frederic Guilbert
32) Marcus Rashford
34) Ricardo Pereira
37) Harry Maguire
38) Jannik-Vestergaard
40) Aaron Wan Bissaka
41) Christian Atsu
43) James Maddison
45) Shane Duffy
47) Tyrone Mings
48) Paul Pogba
51) Scott McTominay

- Scott Dann
53) Oliver Norwood
55) Declan Rice
56) Mark Noble

57) Joshua King
58) João Moutinho
58) Jordan Ayew
60) Erik Pieters

Resume:

- WHU: 6
- Liverpool: 7
- Man City: 7
- ManU: 6
- Tottenham: 5
- Chelsea: 3
- Norwich: 2
- Wolfes: 2
. Burley: 2
- Leicester: 3
- Villa: 3
- Everton: 1
- Arsenal; 3
- Newcastle: 1
- Brighton: 1
- Bournemouth: 2
- Sheffield United: 1
- C. Palace: 2

Point in our favour is the fact that ManU has in this group of 6 top 60 players, 2 of them injured: Pogba and Martial.. what clearly not our case ... and adding to these the fact that they play Europa League tomorrow... its looks very good for us..

Source: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/T ... -2019-2020

PS: Excuse my syntaxis... :)
Last edited by Universidad-de-Chile on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

Interesting. I still think we are underestimating Man Utd's quality (and physical strength). But if you had to pick a XI from both sides a few years ago you would have struggled to select a West Ham player. I think their side would be better if it had Declan, Anderson, Lanzini and possibly Haller or DIop. There's still a gap but it's nowhere near as wide.
Universidad-de-Chile

Edit: We´ll missing Masuaku too... yeah...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I don't rate Cresswell at all, but he can sometimes be decent in one off games - think of Arsenal at home last season

He adds next to nothing going forward, so i would suggest we set up in a way that doesn't require him to and then at least he won't get caught out of position
Universidad-de-Chile

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:10 pm I don't rate Cresswell at all, but he can sometimes be decent in one off games - think of Arsenal at home last season

He adds next to nothing going forward, so i would suggest we set up in a way that doesn't require him to and then at least he won't get caught out of position
And why not to give Johnson a chance???

Then.. I anyway did not understand why Pelle last game took Zabaleta instead Cresswell... Anyway... :?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

7 of the 11 pens awarded this season have been given to the top six, what minute do we concede some suspect dive

Martial being back is a bit of a blow, as he always seems to do well against us, James we need to just stop him cutting inside
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

There for the taking - 4-0 to the Hammers!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Manchester United have drawn both their Away Games to Wolves and Southampton respectively , beating Chelsea and Leicester and losing to Crystal Palace , their only blip as such . I don't think they're the pushovers many are predicting , they're keeping things tight without being overly spectacular - however , since the opening game they're not creating that many chances .

I still think we'll win 2-1 .
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Man Utd will try and have a go which should suit us on the counter. Tempted to say play Fornals in place of Yarmolenko for this one given that he brought a lot of energy to the side when he came on Monday. Cress in for Arthur and everyone else keeps their place. Even if Pogba and Co. are back they will not be 100% fit so we should really fancy ourselves in this one. Would like to see us get 4 points from these lot and Bournemouth before another relatively nice run up until late November.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

TommyHammer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:55 pm Man Utd will try and have a go which should suit us on the counter. Tempted to say play Fornals in place of Yarmolenko for this one given that he brought a lot of energy to the side when he came on Monday. Cress in for Arthur and everyone else keeps their place. Even if Pogba and Co. are back they will not be 100% fit so we should really fancy ourselves in this one. Would like to see us get 4 points from these lot and Bournemouth before another relatively nice run up until late November.
Dunno - OGS seems to want to make Man Utd a counter attack team. Thankfully their midfield is poor and their attack terrible, which plays into our hands
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:15 pm And why not to give Johnson a chance???

Then.. I anyway did not understand why Pelle last game took Zabaleta instead Cresswell... Anyway... :?
He takes zabaleta for the number of positions he can cover

Rb
Lb
Dm
CB at a push

Cresswell is a lb
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Johnson can play both positions and did well against man city last season which was harder than this lot. however I think he will play for u23 Friday night so wont play sunday. zaba on the bench again.

an utd will be tough but we have the players to do it but they need to up their game from Monday night.

I would put snodddy in for his energy and set piece delivery. lanzini moves further forward. gives us a solid 3 in the middle with him dec and noble.lanzini haller and anderson up top will cause them problems.

likely to be cresswell in for masuaka and I hope he has a good game. nice and solid and just defend .

IF we turn up we will win. need to the crowd to be at it from first minute and fully support all players even cresswell !

fabinski
fredericks diop ogbonna cresswell
noble rice snodgrass
lanzini haller anderson

subs roberto zabaleta Balbuena wilshere fornals yarmolenko ajeti

IRONS 2 mancs 0 HALLER X 2
Patito

Post by Patito »

To be fair to Zabaleta, he set up our first goal against this lot nicely last season. Perhaps, with Fredericks one side we might need a bit more defensive stability on the other? Will be interesting to see who's picked for this one.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Patito wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:03 am The same defence that just picked up 2 clean sheets on the trot?
Probably that defence yes, despite the clean sheets, WH have _plenty_ of work to do defensively. The highest expected goals against in the league. Aston Villa had lots of chances to score, their attackers we're simply not effetive enough, this article is written before that game though. We are lucky to have Fabianski.

https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/w ... gy-defence

We're doing well and we all enjoy it, but lets not disregard the facts.
Patito

Post by Patito »

norse wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:43 am
We're doing well and we all enjoy it, but lets not disregard the facts.
2 clean sheets = fact

"Aston Villa had lots of chances to score, their attackers we're simply not effetive enough" = opinion, not fact. An opinion I'd disagree with as well.
norse wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:43 am The highest expected goals against in the league.
Right, but in terms of actual real goals that have gone in, we've conceded 2 in 4 which is superb. So they can't be that bad, can they?
MadaHammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by MadaHammer »

I think we'll win this. Another special televised game where we won 3-1. These are the games you have your season ticket for, can't wait :thup:
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

My point was that there will be better attacking teams facing our defense than Norwich and Villa this season. Grealish, Wesley really should score - we should as well mind, but that's not relevant for the defense. If not, sure, then we'd have nothing to worry about.

The gaps between midfield and defense have been plain to see since last season and it should be adressed if we want a better season than last.

edit: the facts I was talking about were the ones mentioned in the blog. Two clean sheets on the trot is very good and long may it continue.
Patito

Post by Patito »

:thup: Fair enough norse, as you say, work to do. I have been impressed with our pressing from the front at times which should also help the defence out.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Haller Vs Maguire will be good to see, both excellent in the air. Against Villa Haller was isolated and not enough of our attacking players next to him to take the ball when he won the header. Lanzini needs to get closer if it's him in the no.10 position

I reckon this will be an exciting score draw, 2-2.