Old memories of Man utd

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Samba

Re: Old memories of Man utd

Post by Samba » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:49 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:59 am
My last half-memory not seen on here yet was us singing "sacked in the morning" as we beat them three one at UP in the early eighties. Can't think who the manager was though - Dave Sexton I'd guess.
30/10/82. Big Ron their manager.

Samba

Post by Samba » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:12 am

Benny the Ball wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:52 pm
Im sure plenty here were at the May 1977 game at home on a Monday night when we needed to win to avoid relegation. Man U were playing in the Cup Final on the Saturday and had Coppell, Pearson, Hill, Macari playing for them. We had 11 english players regularly in those days.

Standing on the South Bank, Gordon Hill scores after 25 seconds, Geoff Pike missing a penalty and almost missing the North Bank at the same time.

Pop Robson scoring two second half goals in front of us.

4-2 and unbelievable night.

The 2 points kept us up that season, although next season we fell through the trap door this time losing at home to Liverpool on the last day. relegation threat was an annual event under Lyalls teams in those days despite having Bonds and Brooking playing.

BtB
16/5/77. Was in the West Upper unusually, that night. Awesome atmosphere. For a game that we HAD to win, it got off to an awful start, with them going straight up the pitch & scoring in front of the South Bank, as you say Benny, seconds after the kick off. At one point in the match, the West Ham crowd (well the West Side at least) sang, 'You'll Never Walk Alone', for some reason. It was truly spine tingling. It had been a terrible season though with only 11 wins & 17 losses. The draws saved us. Not quite as bad as the one to follow though, with 12 wins & 22 losses..

Chicken Run Supreme

Post by Chicken Run Supreme » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:39 am

Another FA Cup memory, Christ almighty we've played this mob in the Cup a lot! Anyway, 2013 and Ginge scored two beautiful headers to turn a 1-0 deficit around and with a minute on the clock we were still 2-1 up and dreaming of who we might draw in the next round. However, Van Persie equalised and we lost the replay up there, it was all so West Ham.

Samba

Post by Samba » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:29 am

psychoscoredthelot wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:20 am
the first ever televised game was us against them - i remember bryan robson shooting just over the bar and the ball hit me in the stomach and winded me, i got my own back the next season as i laughed at him for dislocating his shoulder after a couple of minutes at our place - god knows what years they were though.
Probably '85 & '86

Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:54 am

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:39 am
However, Van Persie equalised and we lost the replay up there, it was all so West Ham.
Was a ridiculously good finish.

In fact they have scored a few beauties past us in "recent" years.

psychoscoredthelot

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:46 am

cheers samba - that would make sense as i went a lot in that year before stepping up to Mens football in the essex senior league

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:52 am

Actually, looking back, although we've taken a few hammerings from them, our record against them is not nearly as bad as some might think.

DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:13 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:09 pm
Apologies if already mentioned - 1995 , Manchester United needed to win at West Ham and for Liverpool to do them a favour by beating Blackburn and they would have won the Premier League Title - Liverpool kept their side of the bargain but nobody had told Ludek Miklosko , the game ended 1-1 with Alex Ferguson describing the West Ham players' effort as ' obscene ' . :)
Not quite old mate. It was three of four years earlier he described our effort as "obscene" after in a relegation season ('91/'92? or maybe the year before) and in a game everyone expected them to win comfortably on the way to their first title for over 25 years Kenny Brown scored the only goal of the game. Leeds of course went onto win the league.

The game you're on about was the most nervous I've been at a game that meant nothing to us. Heart in mouth the entire game. "You lost the league at West Ham - TWICE!" being sung in every side street around the ground. Special as was the Kenny Brown night.

Both games were epics as we didn't say in those days . :)

Two more memories - beating them two one at UP in the 'Championship' year. They'd started the league on fire. Frankie Mac and Wardy our catalysts for what we ourselves were doing. One down - we won two one and I started to believe that something truly special was happening that year.

Lastly, the game after George Best's death they visited UP. Outsiders thought we might disgrace ourselves at the pre-match commemoration. We showed, as if we needed to, who we were that day. Ferguson said something along the lines of if he could have chosen an away ground for this to be happening it was our place.

norse

Post by norse » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:55 pm

JLCABA

Post by JLCABA » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:00 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:09 pm
Apologies if already mentioned - 1995 , Manchester United needed to win at West Ham and for Liverpool to do them a favour by beating Blackburn and they would have won the Premier League Title - Liverpool kept their side of the bargain but nobody had told Ludek Miklosko , the game ended 1-1 with Alex Ferguson describing the West Ham players' effort as ' obscene ' . :)
Sure the obscene effort claim was the night whe we helped stop Mancs from winning the last ever League Championship Thanks to Kenny Brow's shin

Pete ?

Oops Didn't see Dave's post about 2 up
Last edited by JLCABA on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JLCABA

Post by JLCABA » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:00 pm

DaveWHU1964 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:02 pm
p****'s goal is around the 2.40 mark. Incredible goal.

Edit: I can't the swear filter has done me on Geoff Pike's nickname. I must be a racist. :P
Thanks Dave

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:15 pm

DaveWHU1964 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:13 am
Not quite old mate. It was three of four years earlier he described our effort as "obscene" after in a relegation season ('91/'92? or maybe the year before) and in a game everyone expected them to win comfortably on the way to their first title for over 25 years Kenny Brown scored the only goal of the game. Leeds of course went onto win the league.

The game you're on about was the most nervous I've been at a game that meant nothing to us. Heart in mouth the entire game. "You lost the league at West Ham - TWICE!" being sung in every side street around the ground. Special as was the Kenny Brown night.

Both games were epics as we didn't say in those days . :)

Two more memories - beating them two one at UP in the 'Championship' year. They'd started the league on fire. Frankie Mac and Wardy our catalysts for what we ourselves were doing. One down - we won two one and I started to believe that something truly special was happening that year.

Lastly, the game after George Best's death they visited UP. Outsiders thought we might disgrace ourselves at the pre-match commemoration. We showed, as if we needed to, who we were that day. Ferguson said something along the lines of if he could have chosen an away ground for this to be happening it was our place.
You are correct , Dave - should have looked it up . :)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... d-in-1992/

Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:01 pm

Loads of good ones. The Ludo game and the Barthez game spring to mind particularly as I was fortunate enough to be at both those games, but my all-time favourite has to be 4-0 at Upton park.

It had everything. Carlton's magnificent steaming head, Victor Obinna turning into Payet for a night, Ben Haim at full-back doing a passable impression of Marcelo, Fergie in the ridiculous Steve Zissou hat, the Da Silva brothers on the verge of tears (it might have just been one, I can't remember). I even remember my mate turning to me with about 15 minutes left when we were 4 up and saying..."I reckon we could win this, you know".

To top it all off, I went to buy a ludicrously overpriced, disgusting burger from outside the ground on the way home, gave the guy a tenner and he gave me change for a £20.

What a night.

RayleighIrons

Post by RayleighIrons » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:20 pm

V-M wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:47 pm
It was 3-2 Image
Just making sure you're all on your toes. :wink:

ManInTheIronsMask.

Post by ManInTheIronsMask. » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Getting my bobble hat nicked in the North Bank in January '74.

The Old Mile End

Post by The Old Mile End » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Seen us play them plenty of times over the years - and never seen us lose one!

I think after they beat us 6-1 back in 1967 they never won at Upton Park again until the Premier League in the 90's.

Remember us smashing them - Law, Best & Charlton an' all 3-0 one New Years Day about 1972 ish. Then there was the famous day in the South Bank after they came back up from relegation.

When Tommy Docherty was their manager he had an affair with the trainers (or physios) wife who's surname was Brown. Came to our place shortly after and received a loud chorus of "Who's Up Mother Brown" - happy days.
:crest:

Samba

Post by Samba » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:34 pm

ManInTheIronsMask. wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 pm
Getting my bobble hat nicked in the North Bank in January '74.
When did you notice? At least we won! One of our players that day was the first West Ham player to ever play for Northern Ireland.
Psst, anyone want to buy a used, retro, West Ham bobble hat?

StokeIrons

Post by StokeIrons » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:31 pm

Samba wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:29 am
Probably '85 & '86
Sunday game November 83

Swindlehurst scored for us. Stayed at my mate's near Dartford. We went to Totts v QPR the day before and my mate had to stop me jumping up and down on "The Shelf" when Stainrod scored for QPR :lol:

Samba

Post by Samba » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:54 pm

StokeIrons wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:31 pm
Sunday game November 83

Swindlehurst scored for us. Stayed at my mate's near Dartford. We went to Totts v QPR the day before and my mate had to stop me jumping up and down on "The Shelf" when Stainrod scored for QPR :lol:
27/11/83 1-1, about a month after the 10-0, home to Bury in the League Cup.
We had been top of the table for the whole of September! By 21/4/84, we hadn't been lower than 6th, eventually finishing in 9th.
What might have been had we not lost Devonshire to an awful injury in the January...

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:29 am

Yeah the obscene effort was Kenny Browns shin in front of the north bank. We weren’t mathematically down, but pretty much done. Leeds won the league.

Ludo stopping Incey win the league was brilliant.

The Barthez, the 2-2, the journeys home after being smashed by 6 or 7, Johnny Moncs nutmegging Cantona and of course the last game at the old girl.

Looking forward to today, there will be goals.