CCR3: Oxford Utd 4-0 West Ham Utd (25/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3031 likes

Re: ⚽Oxford United v West Ham United: LC R3 Match Thread

Post by the pink palermo »

Not at our best tonight, which comes as no surprise to anyone that has supported us for longer then 5 minutes, the usual pattern of a decent win being followed by a shocking defeat is in our DNA.It's who we are.

The good news is Holland looked good early on, a rare bright spot, and that we only conceded four.

Oxford United thoroughly deserved their win, but they knew from our starting line up our manager saw his priroties elsewhere, and our players took that as a signal to surrender.

Our travelling support deserved better, as do our non travelling support.We've become a club happy to sit in the niddle of the Premier league, no ambition to win anything, no ambition to go anywhere.

For a club like ours to essentially have given up should be cause for concern, and not just amongst our support.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3496 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Roby wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:14 pmThat’s the most pathetic cup exit since the infamous 5-2 to Barnsley back in 87.
The very same game I was reminded of, Roby.

And if anyone should wish to see the highlights...

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Doc H Ball wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:01 pm Sanchez is perfectly capable of losing games all on his own.
What anyone sees in him, I have no ****ing idea. Would rather we played with 10 men than play him.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by upton girlie »

I left after my jacket was soaked through with non stop saliva spluttering from the mouths of ranting fellow supporters.

A truly dismal show.

And as for their award winning pies... :x
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3496 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Oh - and this...

Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 156 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:52 pm I’m just so gutted about this result. So many on here were confidently suggesting a weakened team and that we should still have too much for lowly Oxford. I’d like to think we’d learn the lesson this time, but it’ll be the same shower of ***** again next season.

A cup is realistically our only chance of silverware. We have thrown in the towel on this again. Shocking.
My feelings exactly. New keeper is poor, Balbuena seems to have lost it again, Sanchez never had it and Wilshere?
Is it mental or physical or both? Anyway a midfield of him, Sanchez and Fornals would beat nobody. No pace or decision making.

Terrible for everybody’s morale before facing Bournemouth. With their speed and being one of our bogey teams I’m sure they’ll do us. No cup chance and another league slump to come.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:07 amThe very same game I was reminded of, Roby.
We only have to go back 8 months to beat that game.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

NEVER thought that DL's unbeaten match thread run, would come to an end tonight.
Come on DL, you've still got your unbeaten league match thread run, to continue.
:crest: :scarfer:
TeddyThePug
Has liked: 1 like

Post by TeddyThePug »

Watching the goals, Roberto was about as useful as a cardboard cutout that had been soaked in water.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

TeddyThePug wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:11 am Watching the goals, Roberto was about as useful as a cardboard cutout that had been soaked in water.
He was poor, but not the reason we lost tonight.

Look at the "contributions" from Balbuena, Masuaku, Fornals, Diop and Zabaleta on those goals...completely useless.

I really hope we never ever play Diop against lower league opposition again. He obviously can't be arsed with these matches as he goes from excellent against strong PL sides to absolute dogshit against AFC Wimbledon, Newport, Oxford etc...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1664 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:07 am Not at our best tonight, which comes as no surprise to anyone that has supported us for longer then 5 minutes, the usual pattern of a decent win being followed by a shocking defeat is in our DNA.It's who we are.

The good news is Holland looked good early on, a rare bright spot, and that we only conceded four.

Oxford United thoroughly deserved their win, but they knew from our starting line up our manager saw his proprieties elsewhere, and our players took that as a signal to surrender.

Our travelling support deserved better, as do our non travelling support. We've become a club happy to sit in the middle of the Premier league, no ambition to win anything, no ambition to go anywhere.

For a club like ours to essentially have given up should be cause for concern, and not just amongst our support.
how many times now Pinky have you had to say the very same thing ? and it's not just confined to Cup games.

I am not crying for Pellers to be sacked, but this is really getting annoying now...... in the past we had manager's who to be honest, didn't have the greatest credentials overall - good at this, not so good at that, good at that, not so good at this.....

but for all his tip top credentials, for far too many games now we haven't showed up with the right mentality to play. whether it be a Bournemouth, a Brighton, or a lower level cup opponent.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I saw Pinky on the way in. I think I said something to him along the lines that I felt we were in for a good season and that I had a tingling.

Don’t drink and predict kids.

I’d like to know what Pelle really makes of this, the AFC debacle and scrapes with the likes of Shrewsbury. Maybe he really couldn’t give a toss or maybe he’s hitting his head on our inate ability to lose any game we expect to win.

MP has been a breath of fresh air and is growing the team slowly but surely. But it pisses me off that he seems amazingly chilled when we sometimes play as badly as anyone can remember.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Doc H Ball wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:51 am MP has been a breath of fresh air and is growing the team slowly but surely. But it pisses me off that he seems amazingly chilled when we sometimes play as badly as anyone can remember.
They certainly would have been a long time locked in the dressing room after the game, with John Lyall.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 178 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Just watched the highlights - absolutely shocking defending for the 3rd and 4th, and not great for the 1st either. FIWW, I watched the 2nd several times and I reckon the scorer was offside, but even then the defence were a shambles, PabZab had pushed up with the rest and was holding a line, then the centre backs moved back with the striker who was well offside, Zab ran back to cover and didn't get there in time.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Doc

I reckon the ONLY way to watch these games is after a drink (or several)................

we need to get minutes for these players who are not regularly playing. BUT. said earlier that make 2-3 changes get ahead (yeah, I know) and then get them on. no good putting the top players on chasing the game.

pointless exercise. learn nothing. haven't learned anything.

unless you say ahead of time: "we're giving the youngsters game time, to be honest we have other priorities."

now I realise that no manager's say that these days, but it's apparent that teams in and around or just below the top "6" or so don't take these lower level cups for real until maybe they get to a 1/4 and are out of league contention and they realise maybe they can get a Euro spot.

Bournemouth lost at Burton. considering the way Burnley went in Europe, can't say I blame Bournemouth tanking the game (if in fact they did) - they're 1 point off 3rd with us coming up this weekend. we're 1 pt. ahead of them with them coming up this weekend. at their place.

I know where my priorities would be.

but it's the fans I honestly feel sorry for, they go with expectations of taking these games seriously, but we don't.

I cannot for the life of me think why they bother.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Kludgehammer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:02 am Just watched the highlights - absolutely shocking defending for the 3rd and 4th, and not great for the 1st either. FIWW, I watched the 2nd several times and I reckon the scorer was offside, but even then the defence were a shambles, PabZab had pushed up with the rest and was holding a line, then the centre backs moved back with the striker who was well offside, Zab ran back to cover and didn't get there in time.
Yep I've watched it several times and it certainly looks offside.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

If we lost this game, first it is to the merit of Oxford. Second, it is because we did not believe they are a difficult team. The motivation to beat the team in the Premier League is high. They have good players. We made too many mistakes.

They wanted not to be but mentally they were not prepared to give 100 per cent what you need to give in this kind of game.

from Pellers presser.........

and whose responsibility is it to make sure they are and/or pick 11 players who ARE up for it.....

:asleep:

https://www.football.london/west-ham-un ... l-16983089
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

As soon as I saw the team I felt nervous. If you don't take these games seriously you will lose.

We did.....
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Scorer of the second was probably offside but I would be more worried about the 10 yards of space the Oxford player who crossed the ball was given on the edge of our box. If Arthur was going to go with the ball carrier infield Anderson had to cover back. Otherwise Arthur hands the ball carrier off to Sanchez and stays with the wider player, as it is a simple pass takes out the entire defence.

The first was a comedy of errors, the third was comical with Arthur doing bambi on ice and everyone had given up by the fourth.
AdelaideIron

Post by AdelaideIron »

The less said the better. I have followed for 46 years from Australia and - like everyone else - just knew we had a performance like this in us. Again!!! It was always a matter of when...not if.
Move on. Nothing to see here. We're still fifth.
Fifth!!!