CCR3: Oxford Utd 4-0 West Ham Utd (25/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Re: ⚽Oxford United v West Ham United: LC R3 Match Thread

Post by The Old Mile End »

If there was an inquest at the club (and that is a big "if"), you can bet your bottom dollar that it would not be half as intensive as the inquest on here.
Noble Man
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Noble Man »

TommyHammer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:38 pm Is it really Pellegrini's fault? Do you honestly think that starting 11 wasn't good enough to beat Oxford? If you do, then surely this comes down to effort of the players? Everyone's quick to praise him when we beat Man Utd when the players look like they're up for it, so surely there's evidence that he manages to motivate his players to do well.
To me it was everyone's fault - the players obviously didn't give a damn - look at Anderson's lack of for th second goal as an example. Had that been a PL game he would have tracked back as opposed to doing nothing.

As much as I rate Pellers he has to take some of the responsibility as well. We went in at HT at 0-0. What was the half time team talk - what message/instruction was given to capitulate as we did in the second half.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

I think Pellegrini can be faulted for his substitutions on the night at the very least.

1 - Taking off Holland who was our best player on the night.
2 - Taking off Wilshere instead of Sanchez who serves no purpose going forwards.
3 - Why take of Snodgrass and not Fornals? For one Fornals was clearly getting out-muscled all game, he played at the weekend and at least Snodgrass has the ability to deliver a dead ball if nothing else.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Ribbot wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:42 pm I love pellers but the fault lies with him. Those squad players are squad for a reason. He put a team out that should have beaten Oxford not a team that will.
I definitely disagree with this. They were all players who easily have the ability to beat a League One team. If we had our respective team's line ups with their wages, you would see our players should be on a different level.

You can't just play your strongest eleven in every game, players will burn out, earning silly money doesn't stop your physical limits. Out of the three competitions we are in, resting players for the league cup is a no brainer.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Interesting article by Andy Dunn in today's 'Mirror'. He has written some tosh about us in the past, but he's pretty bang on today.
He says what most of us pretty much think. Forty years without a major trophy, and if Wednesday was anything to go by, we're going to be waiting another 40 years.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

Ozza wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 am We have to have more of chance with this than getting top 4 don’t we?

A one off game with Man City in a final, I’d take that over finishing 10th
100%. Even if we were to lose 6-0 it would not be as embarrassing as getting beaten by lower league opposition. No ambition with the club whatsoever. Only chance West Ham have of making a trip to Wembley would be another play off final!
neathiron

Post by neathiron »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:00 am So where were all the posters slagging off the line up predictions or commenting negatively once the actual line up was announced? There was a couple of posters who were unhappy (j recall Cuenca, Rigoberts Song tbf to them) but very minimal opposition in the main with majority posting very similar line ups and expressing satisfaction with that line up.
As I posted at the time, it is easy to be wise after the event
Not me mate, I had concerns as soon as I seen the majority putting Roberto in their predicted line ups. Fabianski is by far our most important player, without him we are ****ed.
neathiron

Post by neathiron »

WorcesterWHU wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:29 am I think it's the very last time I'm going to want an "easy" draw in the next round of a cup competition.
It's easy money though when it comes to betting. I have an idea, next lower league team we draw in either cup, a load of us on here should get a syndicate together, chip in a few quid and place our money on the opponents at probably decent odds. Just sit back and then reap the rewards. A nice little earner :wink:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

neathiron wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:37 pm It's easy money though when it comes to betting. I have an idea, next lower league team we draw in either cup, a load of us on here should get a syndicate together, chip in a few quid and place our money on the opponents at probably decent odds. Just sit back and then reap the rewards. A nice little earner :wink:
You KNOW what would happen then, neath.
Still, be nice to get a win..
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Karl Robinson was right to rest six players for the West Ham game. Oxford Utd beat Gillingham 3-0 in League One this afternoon.

Not a bad week for them; 6-0, 4-0, 3-0.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Of course it is a hard place to go, but a damp squib of a performance.