CCR3: Oxford Utd 4-0 West Ham Utd (25/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Estuary
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Re: ⚽Oxford United v West Ham United: LC R3 Match Thread

Post by Estuary »

Billydinho wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:51 pm Roberto

Zabaleta (c)
Balbuena
Diop
Cresswell

Rice
Wilshere

Snodgrass
Fornals
Holland

Ajeti

I recon that's close but with Sanchez for Rice. He was one of the few that played well at Newport. Hope Ajeti gets off the mark.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

Exited: As you were.

Whoever plays COYI!!
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

goa127 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:02 pm It's noticeable how attitudes have changed since our last league cup game. Then the call was to play our strongest team to make sure we gave it a go, now almost everyone is picking a second string! I don't disagree at all, we just don't want to pick up injuries to key players in an early round tie like this. Our fringe players also need the game time Players like Snodgrass are likely to be very important to us as the season goes on, they need to be kept match fit, plus the youngsters need a chance to shine COYI
I'm more for game time for fringe players than resting first teamers.

It's giving opportunities to others to get some minutes and push themselves into contention.
Estuary
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

goa127 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:02 pm It's noticeable how attitudes have changed since our last league cup game. Then the call was to play our strongest team to make sure we gave it a go, now almost everyone is picking a second string! I don't disagree at all, we just don't want to pick up injuries to key players in an early round tie like this. Our fringe players also need the game time Players like Snodgrass are likely to be very important to us as the season goes on, they need to be kept match fit, plus the youngsters need a chance to shine COYI
I said both before the Newport game we should play squad players who havent started many PL games and repeated that in reference to the injury to Antonio and got slaughtered for it "hindsight" etc etc. I still maintain you don't over play players with a history of repetitive injuries, and you give the non PL playing squad a go along with a promising young player.

No disrespect to Oxford but we should expect to go through with the side Billy has listed as long as we match their work rate.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bill

under different circumstances - yeah I'd agree.

I think we need fewer changes because if (IF) we were to go out, I don't think it would go down well.

in theory that team's good enough to win on paper. don't think we need to win on paper, we need to win on the field.

get a couple of goals (maybe 3) to the good, dominate the match and get Holland on.

start Fornals, get the Swiss lad on for 30 minutes.

Roberto
Zab, either Oggie or Diop Balbuena Cresswell
Rice Noble
Yarmo (maybe Snoddy who needs minutes) Fornals Anderson
Haller

subs: get Holland and Ajeti on after the break Sanchez on later

no point in going "all in" with the subs and then finding ourselves chasing the game.

imvho of course
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

Oxford Fan wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:37 pmAfternoon all, Oxford Fan here.
Cheers OF - very kind of you. I am not going tonight, but hopefully this helps someone.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

Billydinho wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:51 pm Roberto

Zabaleta (c)
Balbuena
Diop
Cresswell

Rice
Wilshere

Snodgrass
Fornals
Holland

Ajeti
I'd give Issa the night off tbh
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Got some good memories of travelling to the old Manor Ground....not so much on the results, but a good place to have a beer and we used to pack the terrace behind that goal...

I would go with:

Roberto

Johnson
Balbuena
Oggy
Cresswell

Rice (c)
Snodgrass
Wilshere

Fornals
Yarmo
Ajeti

Subs: Martin, Diop, Cardosa, Arthur, Noble, Holland, Haller

Think Anderson needs some time out and to bench Noble, Diop and Haller. Lets see how Johnson does. Would like Cresswell to continue, but maybe replace him with Cardosa, once we have gone 2 up (lets hope)....or bring Cardosa on for Oggy and let Balbuena talk him through the game. Rice with Snodders running about, causing mayhem....Wilshere to pull the strings and support Fornals and Yarmo....Yarmo is fit now and needs game time...give Ajeti another go, but if we are struggling, then bring on Haller or maybe Arthur as a midfielder/winger to give some pace?....Noble only to come on if we are level or 1 up with 15 mins to go, to pull the team together and calm it down?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:09 pm bill

under different circumstances - yeah I'd agree.

I think we need fewer changes because if (IF) we were to go out, I don't think it would go down well.

in theory that team's good enough to win on paper. don't think we need to win on paper, we need to win on the field.

get a couple of goals (maybe 3) to the good, dominate the match and get Holland on.

start Fornals, get the Swiss lad on for 30 minutes.

Roberto
Zab, either Oggie or Diop Balbuena Cresswell
Rice Noble
Yarmo (maybe Snoddy who needs minutes) Fornals Anderson
Haller

subs: get Holland and Ajeti on after the break Sanchez on later

no point in going "all in" with the subs and then finding ourselves chasing the game.

imvho of course
For me you rest as many as you can and give fringe players ago with your key men on the bench ready to go.

I would half consider starting Haller to see if he can kickstart his goal scoring again. Get some chances and much needed match practice at converting them.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Oxford Fan wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:37 pm Follow the A329 through Little Milton (mind speed camera) to Stadhampton (mind speed camera). Continue on road through Stadhampton which will bear right and continue as the B480. Follow B480 for a few miles until you reach the roundabout at the top of Grenoble Road. Turn left into Grenoble Road and follow through roundabouts until you reach ground on the right. Going this way you will not touch Oxford at all and should be free of any traffic.
All the best.
Oxford Fan.
Good on ya, Oxford.
We're hopefully not underestimating you. It could be a real battle. In a way, it's a shame that it's not at our place because then you could have seen what some of us are moaning about!
Hope you enjoy the game, but not too much!
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by neathiron »

I don't understand why we feel the need to change the keeper for tonight's game. Given our track record when it comes to losing against lower league opposition, i would feel a lot more confident with Fabianski between the sticks tonight. About time we took this competition seriously for a change. Yes I understand some players will need to be rested ahead of Saturday but surely our keeper didn't exert himself too much last Sunday.
Duff
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Duff »

I'd really like to say sod it, all in, why change a winning team but we do actually have a chance of getting somewhere in the league so maybe more caution required. In the FA Cup we should risk it all this year.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Wasnt thos the same round we got introduced to Grady destroying Macclesfield? Worth a look at Holland tonight then surely?

Ajeti has to start though.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Really want to see a strong squad out tonight. Sod resting players, if we genuinely want to win this competition we need to take it seriously.

An underprepared Spurs team were dumped out last night by lower league Colchester. We have to avoid making the same mistake.

Go with the best team and worry about Bournemouth afterwards. If we play a strong side and are winning 3-0 at halftime, then make changes to rest players.
Patito

Post by Patito »

The line up I thought it would be. I like it. COYI :crest:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Holland and The Yeti :scarfer:
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Holland starts

Cardoso(?) On bench

Pleased with that line up
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Nice. Pretty much what I wanted. Probably would have preferred Fab in goal. Just to be safe.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Anyone know if that is Oxford's strongest lineup? Shouldn't matter too much either way I guess considering our lineup. Just interested to see if they are bang up for it.
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

IronZ-79 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:03 pm Holland starts

Cardoso(?) On bench

Pleased with that line up

Re (?) 7 Aug 2019 - West Ham United have done 'very, very good business' in signing hugely promising Portuguese defender Gonçalo Cardoso.