It's not just Man Utd fans....

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

YorksHammer

Re: It's not just Man Utd fans....

Post by YorksHammer » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:47 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:17 am
Aren't we just as bad? Certainly been accused of it in the past.
I would certainly say the 'we won the World Cup' thing has a bit of a whiff of delusion about it.

Even though we did win it...

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Spurs are in a delusion league of their own. All this "your cup final" taunting, they think it winds us up, when in truth it motivates us not to be like them and brings the best out of the team. Long may they chant it and remain deluded.

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:53 pm

At least most other "delusional" fanbases in the league have had an element of success to base their expectations off of.

These mugs seem to think they've had a 40 year blip in their history and they're returning to where they should be in the top three. And now that's not even good enough and they want the man who miraculously got them where they are to leave.

southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:09 pm

They are, with the exception of an very very small minority, a completely different breed. I've had the displeasure of growing up with and knowing vast numbers of them and they are delusional and insufferable in equal measure.

Patito

Post by Patito » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:26 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Just own it. Like Eminem in 8-Mile. They don't have anything after that.
"Here, tell these people something they don't know about me."

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:32 pm

There's just 'something' about Spurs fans. When I was growing up and in primary school, the horrible kids were either Spurs Fans or Liverpool fans. By the time I got to senior school, it was exactly the same pattern, although towards the later years, Man Utd joined the Spurs and Liverpool school of arseholeness.

After almost 28 years of adult life, it doesn't seem to have changed. I've never warmed to anyone, or been what I would call friends with anyone that supports Spurs or Liverpool.

There's a bloke at work that's a right horrible b*stard, nothing endearing about him at all. I've only had a couple of dealings with him, and had no idea what club (if any) he supported. Got in to work the other morning, and he was wandering about the yard with a Spurs hat on. I should have known really.

Spurs truly are unique in their fan base I think - and certainly not in a good way. I even dumped a right sort once when I found out she was a Spurs fan. They're so intolerable, I just cannot have them around me.

pharaoh

Post by pharaoh » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:40 pm

had a recent encounter with a Spurs fan. He seemed ok till i told him who I supported. Turned nasty...accused me of being a hooligan and racist. Basically blamed WHU fans because his ticket was taken off him by stewards as he was entering the ground. I ended up walking away saying that a spurs fan calling anyone racist was deluded.

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Not even close.

We've known our place for years and generally expect **** all and indeed get **** all. If there was a Delusional League format, those ***** would have finally won silverware they truly deserve in the Champions League Final of Delusions, whereas we would struggle to get out of the Conference of Delusional thoughts.

sendô

Post by sendô » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:17 pm

Spurs fan in being a two bob muggy supporter shock?

Updates on pope's religion to follow?

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:22 pm

I've just remembered, I made a £50 bet at the start of the season with one cocky b*llocks Spurs fan who chirped up they'll win the League this year. If he had anything about him (which he definitely doesn't!) he'd cough up already. I'm more than happy to bide my time though.... :tune:

Doyley72

Post by Doyley72 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:32 pm

To be honest, i know a few Manure fans and they are alright....they are in their late 50's early 60's so have seen the club relegated and struggle behind Liverpool in the 80's...might be different with the younger fans?

For me, it's the Spuds that are the most deluded bunch of muppets around....they are the first to pipe up when they win, but hide when they lose.

They think they are the biggest club in the UK and have some kind of entitlement to be winning things, when the truth is, they don't win things..

My old man doesn't hate anyone, except the Spuds...he said back in the 60's he used to go to any game in London, when we were playing away. He once went to WHL and saw the Spuds give some team a thrashing....but when that team got a consolation goal, he said the whole ground started booing with them muppets snarling and shouting at the opposition....he said if it was Arsenal, West Ham or anyone else, they would have clapped and cheered them as a mark of respect....but not them smug so and so's...

Also Chelski fans....they really think they are something special....but ask them anything about the 80's when they struggled to get 13k at home or when we relegated them, they either don't remember it or change the subject and only talk about the Premier League era, not admitting that money has got them where they are....

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:02 pm

Colours never run wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:22 pm
I've just remembered, I made a £50 bet at the start of the season with one cocky b*llocks Spurs fan who chirped up they'll win the League this year. If he had anything about him (which he definitely doesn't!) he'd cough up already. I'm more than happy to bide my time though.... :tune:
Candy from a baby. You should be ashamed of yourself! :D

Ferret

Post by Ferret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:24 pm

Yes, all that 'West Ham won the World Cup',...makes me cringe!.

woodford

Post by woodford » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Ferret wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:24 pm
Yes, all that 'West Ham won the World Cup',...makes me cringe!.
I haven't actually met any West Ham fan that doesn't say that a bit tongue in cheek. Not sure there's many that truly believe it, at least not in a Spursy kind of way

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:10 pm

I have to laugh when i talk to a few that i know. They really don’t like even the slightest critique about there club, and quickly try and turn it around to one of our many failings. You literally can’t have a conversation without them getting all up tight about it.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:11 pm

woodford wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:52 pm
I haven't actually met any West Ham fan that doesn't say that a bit tongue in cheek.
Yes, this.

In fact I think I may be right in saying I've heard it more from opposition fans over the years claiming West Ham supporters say it.

And I include Warren Mitchell in that.

view from the shires

Post by view from the shires » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:23 pm

I work with a couple (father and son) and they are perfectly OK, and not deluded at all. They are quite open about the weaknesses of the team and how crap the football has been for quite a while. In fact they seem a bit like us in their outlook, and thinking about others I have known in the past they were also similar to us. Perhaps it is because I am away from London that the fans are different.

Rocketron

Post by Rocketron » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:45 pm

view from the shires wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:23 pm
I work with a couple (father and son) and they are perfectly OK, and not deluded at all. They are quite open about the weaknesses of the team and how crap the football has been for quite a while. In fact they seem a bit like us in their outlook, and thinking about others I have known in the past they were also similar to us. Perhaps it is because I am away from London that the fans are different.
I was born and lived most of my life in Eastbourne and never had a problem with THFC fans. They were always good for banter and seemed to have a genuine respect for a team they saw as roughly the same as them.

Vic_Watson

Post by Vic_Watson » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:49 pm

woodford wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:52 pm
I haven't actually met any West Ham fan that doesn't say that a bit tongue in cheek. Not sure there's many that truly believe it, at least not in a Spursy kind of way
Can you imagine what they'd be like if England had won the World Cup last year? :x

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Post by Clucking Bell » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:00 pm

We tend to know our place. Every decade or so we'll magically assemble the bones of a first-class side but something, or more correctly, a whole bunch of somethings that wouldn't occur at any other club, happens and it all goes tits up.

Let's be honest, we all knew that Payet wasn't going to stay at the club and, even if he had, he'd have managed to cut both his feet off in a bizarre lawn mowing accident. It's just West Ham and fortune's always hiding. While Haller probably won't spontaneously combust in our next game, you wouldn't necessarily bet against it.

All of us who either chose to be West Ham supporters or inherited it know this: it's part of our DNA.

Man U, L'Arse and the Bindippers do, at least, have reasonable grounds for delusion. They've all been on and about the top of the pile for the entire Premier League era and they haven't had too many truly awful seasons in my lifetime.

Most of the old time Chelsea and Citeh fans are a bit like us and know that they'll only be good as long as the money supply lasts.

Spurs fans, though, are a bit odd. They're bit richer than us, a bit more successful, but ultimately about as likely as we are to win something.