AFC Bournemouth 2-2 West Ham Utd (28/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Re: ⚽ AFC Bournemouth v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Wilko1304 »

Interesting game, fascinating in its level of quality, that was both low and high. Our games were bananas with them, it really feels like no team is ever secure or in control.

Rice was excellent, as was Yarmolenko. We should have won, should have lost, got screwed by VAR but it was also a common sense and good VAR decision, then should have had a penalty and VAR didn't care (Ogbonna missed that ball by inches and was pulled on the way going for it).

Fornals still on the edge of being good but not quite there. His workrate has been really useful though, he has helped Noble in midfield by playing somewhat box to box and adding energy in there. And he would probably score if Haller doesn't touch that ball onto his run.

Thought the defence was weak, generally, poorly organised for the first goal, should have been punished a few times, and often in the first half they headed clearances so poorly that the ball was straight back at us.

Cresswell did well to score and his defending was fine, but his crossing was awful.

A good point, really. That's a much harder game than Man United, and when Bournemouth are in form (which they have been) then that place is a dangerous visit. On xG, we were probably a touch lucky to get that point, but it was definitely a fair result and both teams will be annoyed they didn't score more
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:13 pmWilshere was introduced with about 20 minutes or so to go, and contributed relatively little. I really feel he's done at this level.
He is struggling to get through the gears for sure.

I was reading an article by Micah Richards on BBC sport - effectively lame before his prime and then nursed along. Shame if Wilshire's is a similar story but hope not.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

good entertaining game overall and a fair result. VAR got the incidents right which is what you want.
good to see fornals getting better with each game. needs to start in midfield with dec and noble for some energy.
more is required from Anderson but he is still involved in the goals. he needs to start driving into the penalty box , taking players on more.

only downside is the injury to fabianski. cant see him playing against palace but hopefully back for everton away on 19th October.

we cant afford anymore injuries to key players if we want to do well with this thin squad.

we need another CF and CM urgently and I would like another CB to make 4 as we cant rely on reid.

good point and 3rd in the table bit better than last year !
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

I was thinking the same today. Or failing that do the same for Mcginn if Villa go. British too
Aceface wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:44 am
With Watford looking increasingly relegat-y there should be a laser-focused tapping up effort starting now to convince Doucoure to play his football here next season. It will probably take a Haller-like fee but him and Rice would be as good and as balanced a pair as any team in the league.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Jack like so many players we've had / got with injury issues, is struggling to get back to that top level, I stay hopeful it will come I just hope he doesn't become the latests boo boy target.

As long as he stays injury free then Im sure he'll get better
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I think he struggles because the way pelle plays requires all midfielders to attack and defend at pace. hopefully he will get there and he should be fully supported when he wears the shirt. booing does nothing to help the team.
pelle knows if a player has been poor he doesn't need us to boo our own team. 100% support at all times.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:54 pm

We had a lot of difficulty last year (and the year before) with the Watford's, Brighton's, Burnley's, Bournemouth's.
And this year we’ve played 3 of them away and are unbeaten.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Should also remember Wilshere also looked very sharp and energetic during his similar cameo vs Man Utd last week, won the free kick that led to the goal, right.

I too read that Micah Richards interview on the BBC site. It's very insightful and revealing I thought. I hope injuries haven't finally taken their toll on Jack, if he's carrying something permanent that stops him being the player he was, but it's possible. It certainly became the case with Carroll when you saw how he played last season.

We'll have to see.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I think it’s a bit premature to write off Wilshere. As others have said his cameo against Man U was pretty decent. As for injuries, I would argue Yarmolenko and Lanzini have had pretty much as bad injuries and are almost back to their best... and both especially Yarmolenko looked very slow and off the pace when they first returned. I was genuinely concerned he wouldn’t ever play at a decent level again, but Yesterday he was literally world class and all over the pitch.

My biggest concern overall is that we just don’t get enough service or support to Haller.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1324 likes

Post by davids cross »

Declan Rice looked like he had put on two stone of muscle and grown about six inches yesterday.

Huge powerhouse when running with the ball through midfield.

Bossed it all. I think he's the best prospect I have seen from West Ham at this stage of his career.

His temperament and football brain are way ahead of his actual age.

£100m.....my arse !!.....be looking to double that if it happens.... :lol:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Wilshere's cameo was poor but I don't think it was anything to do with injuries. He's usually pretty sharp mentally when he has the ball and it's unlike him to sloppily give the ball away like he did yesterday. I'd put it down to a one-off.

I personally thought Forlans had a decent game. He brings a lot of energy to the side and the impact of that shouldn't be underestimated. In terms of the flashy creative stuff... we'll see that more as his confidence grows and he settles in.
iveyjo

Post by iveyjo »

Even though I was desperate for the win the game could have gone either way with chances missed by both sides.... Having gone 2 1 one down it was pleasing to see us grind out the draw however we do have a problem at the back as Bournemouth seemed to walk in the goal 27 seconds after the restart.... I am really concerned about Fabby as he is a true game saver and performs week in week out so his absence will have a major impact moving forward. Hopefully this injury is short term....
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Couple of points
1. Bournemouth were good - game could have gone either way, overall I thought they edged it with better performances in midfield. Decide for yourself if we nicked a point cos we were lucky or if we earned a deserved point.
2. Fornals too eager to shoot. Think it was at least three (maybe more?) blocked shots of his, all in or around the eighteen, everyone of them he was being closely marked.
3. Pellegrini will have the goalie coaches busy practicing kicks and distribution this week.
Kialos
Has liked: 1545 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Fornals made a couple of poor decisions not to shoot against Villa so I was pleased to seem him having a go. If he does not shoot he definitely wont score, as we saw at Villa.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

I think the issue with Fornals shooting was the same against Man Utd and Bournemouth. He takes too long to get the shot off. Against Man Utd he didn’t get the shot off at all, against Bournemouth he got blocked. Maybe against palace he may get one in the top corner!
Kialos
Has liked: 1545 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Hope so!
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 139 likes

Post by Estuary »

Anyone else thing Rice tired late on?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Only watched the extended highlights, from that I got two good footballing sides playing with confidence, was a great watch with plenty of skill on show from both teams. Draw seemed a fair result.

Decent point away from home, only two negatives for me, Fab - fingers crossed, and we are not creating enough for Haller presently, his pull down/control for the Yarma goal was top quality :thup:

Still onwards & upwards in the PL, looking a decent side.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

We should see that as a well earned point. Bournemouth are a good side and played well. They'll take points off of better teams than us this season.

We should also be positive that we're taking points despite maybe not being the better team. That said, we still created enough chances to win the game.

One thing that is a big positive for me is Haller - even when he's not scoring, he's bringing other players into the game and allowing the likes of Yarmalenko, Anderson, Fornals etc to get shots off.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Not wanting to put too much of a dampner on Rice's performance, but he got absolutely done for their 2nd.