⚽ West Ham United v Crystal Palace: Match Thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Noble Man

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Crystal Palace: Match Thread

Post by Noble Man » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:37 pm

We've flattered to deceive so far this season... Another poor result. Not knicker wetting but that was terrible. Offered and threatened nothing. Only decent performance so far was against Norwich and that should have been 4/5.

Picked up a few points away from home but haven't been impressed from what I've seen so far.

Douthy

Post by Douthy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:37 pm

BillUp wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:31 pm
This is Nobles last year as a West Ham player. No way he plays every game this season. Way too slow now. We need a replacement and fast. Our midfield is going to be ****ed next season if Rice goes, and we still try and play Noble every game. I love him to bits, but enough's enough.

We should be smashing teams like Palace, especially at home. Last week and this week. Devastated I feel.
You don’t have an effing clue.

He is the only genuine CM we have who can do a bit of everything.

Amazes me what people see. Rice was walking around, Lanzini offered nothing but as they are the ‘darlings’ of the crowd it’s Noble who gets moaned about.

FEH

Post by FEH » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:37 pm

naturally disappointed but i think im alone again here.. I thought it was good effort and one of those days.. Potentially every team can give you a hard game. On to the next one.. its early days yet and im happy to let someone else have the limelight while we stay under the radar a bit before emerging strongly nearer the end of the season..

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Not convinced this 4-1-4-1 gets the best out of a lot of our players personally.

Samba

Post by Samba » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:38 pm

And MOTD can get f*cked, as well..

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:39 pm

waynepin wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:35 pm
without Antonio we have nothing different and no speed to get at teams when chasing
We really do miss his pace and power, Haller needs that around him.

bristolhammerfc

Post by bristolhammerfc » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:39 pm

I didn't think we were that bad. We lost momentum when Cresswell went off and Zaha switched sides.

Thought we were unlucky with a couple of their counters where we deserved a free kick but the ref gave advantage. Maybe we should have it like rugby, where there is a period of time and if you lose the advantage a free kick is given?

VAR interpretation is a joke. What's the point of having any linesman? I thought it was only clear and obvious mistakes that were overturned.

Xabbu

Post by Xabbu » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:40 pm

bonzosbeard wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:30 pm
Burnley Palace Leicester above us. We've been poor lately even against Man Utd. Hopefully we might replace a few. I'm starting to ask about Anderson myself. Lanzini poor.
Seriously Anderson was outstanding?

BillUp
Location: If God wanted us to play football in the clouds, he would have put grass there. Brian Clough.

Post by BillUp » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:40 pm

I am not a huge Noble fan, but towards the end of that game, he was the only one still bursting his pan trying to close down play.
It's not his commitment I question. No one can argue with that. Its his pace. His legs have gone. Wilshire is going to be injured for half the season no doubt. I'm so disgusted and upset, I don't know what the answer is, or what to think anymore.

Macca1973

Post by Macca1973 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Just so bored of it all, it’s supposed to be fun and entertaining but we constantly get sh*t decisions where some clubs get all decisions go there way, VAR was supposed to level the playing field but we’re getting just as shafted as we always do :asleep:

smuts

Post by smuts » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:41 pm

Lanzini was dire and Anderson wasn't much better. He just seems to want to drift through games showing no drive or passion whatsoever since 2019 started.

Haller once again isolated, Yarmalenko too deep but showed some good quality, Noble huffed and puffed but got nowhere and Rice was great for 75% of the game until he pulled out the Kobe Bryant impression.

It sums up our lack of depth when we bring on Wilshire and Zabaleta to huff and puff through the last 15 minutes rather than someone to drive at a tiring defence.

il_martello_di_genovesi

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:42 pm

We played well in some 5 minute spells, but after giving away a stupid penalty we were total **** after that. ****ing annoying.

GaryP

Post by GaryP » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:42 pm

bristolhammerfc wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:39 pm
VAR interpretation is a joke. What's the point of having any linesman? I thought it was only clear and obvious mistakes that were overturned.
Which prick picks the point of the actual pass ? one frame back and they are off side. ****ing joke.

OFT

Post by OFT » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:42 pm

The problem with the 'clear and obvious error' is if tight ones aren't reviewed we go back to MOTD tearing every decision apart.
For all that, its crap and I'll repeat myself, we still getting the shitty stick with it as we were without it.

szola

Post by szola » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 pm

Very unlucky.

A meaningless tackle and booking by Haller, led to a penalty that was avoidable. The rules of the game are far too harsh, imo.

The second goal was an incredibly unlucky var ruling. Offside for the naked eye, yet a millimeter onside according to the software.

Thought we played well for long periods of the game.

Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 pm

TommyHammer wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:25 pm
We only have ourselves to blame. A terrible penalty given away and a lapse of concentration with VAR topping it off.

In addition, three very good chances to take the game in the first half that we didn't. We will never learn.
Correct.
We meandered our way through that match and failed to convert some decent possession into enough chances, just as we did vs Bournemouth. It’s frustrating as hell to watch us playing from side to side continually ignoring Haller, then sending in crosses long after they should have been sent in.
If we’re going to use the overlap on the wings that’s great, but from time to time you need to try and break the lines through the middle, otherwise working down the wings becomes far too predictable. Do we have anyone good enough to see that pass through the middle or drop a shoulder and break the lines ?
It appears not at the moment.

S-H

Post by S-H » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 pm

I can't remember the last time I was this angry after a West Ham game, after not letting it get to me for so long I am really disappointed.

Hodgson and his negative, get the ball to Zaha and just dive tactics, have done me tonight.

Royally ****ed off.

TommyHammer

Post by TommyHammer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:44 pm

S-H wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 pm
I can't remember the last time I was this angry after a West Ham game, after not letting it get to me for so long I am really disappointed.

Hodgson and his negative, get the ball to Zaha and just dive tactics, have done me tonight.

Royally ****ed off.
And we played right into it. At one point I actually thought we missed Snodgrass.

dave_l

Post by dave_l » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:45 pm

I just felt we were gonna lose as soon as they got the penalty. Losing the natural left footer didn't help and thought Lanzini was quiet. The drawing angles on their pitch on VAR for their second looked utterly comical to be honest.

I can't stand Palace. Living where I do, you don't hear a word from them for years when they were in the championship then they pop out the woodwork like lice as soon as they are back in the league. Thousands of them all wittering on when they didn't know the way to Selhurst 5 years ago.

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:45 pm

Could end up 9th tomorrow if likely results pan out. Below 2nd is yo-yo ville right now.