West Ham Utd 1-2 Crystal Palace (05/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Crystal Palace: Match Thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

Haller's first half miss proved to be crucial to the result. I watched it again this morning and he really should've scored from that distance. This is just an observation and not a criticism of him, because he will score many more this season and probably a few very similar to that one yesterday which cost us the 3 points. Had we gone I at the interval 1-0 up, I'm sure we would've gone on to win. 2-0 up and I don't think there would've been anyway back for Palace
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I think yesterday was just a but of a reality check. Hopefully for us as fans and maybe going forward a slightly different approach to games like this.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Yesterday was the first time under Pellegrini that we’ve lost in the league when scoring first (15 wins, 5 draws otherwise)
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:10 am Too slow? That team yesterday consisted of Diop, Rice, Fredericks, Cresswell, Anderson, Yarmolenko, Lanzini and Haller who isn't a slouch. More than enough pace in the side and many quick thinkers on the ball normally too.

We also are good, just not a typically good day at the office yesterday. Not awful, not great just bit under par, it happens over the course of a long season. Since City, we've been on a really good run of form and results, narrowly losing to them on a controversial decision isn't as bad it seems to some right now. The most important thing is the positive signs are still there and had Five not handled the ball, we should have been well on our way to another 3 points sitting in 3rd place.
Slow on the ball has little to do with pace. We were slow on the ball far too often yesterday,
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

First 25 was nothing at all both ends
25-45 we were slightly the better team
45-70 we were slightly the better team if pretty dull
70-90 Palace were better

We didn't play well, we didn't play awful, just never got out out of first gear, Haller had to do better with that chance. At the end of the day we had a few half chances and didn't take them, Rice had a moment of madness and we once again failed to defend a set piece. Same old, same old really, just gutting as we've looked better recently and are capable of more, especially with the players we've got. i found the Wilshere for Yarno sub a bit odd. There was too much space between Haller and the rest, Haller won a few headers and no-one was near him.

If we have real aspirations we can't be drawing games like this, Brighton, Bouremouth etc,
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Why do we nearly always look so laboured and lethargic?
It seems to have been a common theme for quite a few years now, under 4 or 5 managers.
It is something that has me scratching my head. Why do the opposition, again nearly always, look fitter and stronger than us?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

It’s a **** result and hurt more as we’ve blown the chance to to go 4th, but what sort of standards have been set if Yarmo and Noble were poor yesterday? I don’t think either were.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

BondsoBob wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:45 am Why do we nearly always look so laboured and lethargic?
It seems to have been a common theme for quite a few years now, under 4 or 5 managers.
It is something that has me scratching my head. Why do the opposition, again nearly always, look fitter and stronger than us?
Normally a big fan of him but Andersen played like he is upcoming Brazil(he isn't ) squad and didn't want to get a knock
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:27 am Slow on the ball has little to do with pace. We were slow on the ball far too often yesterday,
'Slow on the ball yesterday' would make more sense which I would definitely agree with. We did dawdle at times on it. In general though, we ain't a slow side. Plenty of pace all over the park.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I thought both our full backs had a good game yesterday and were our stand out players along with Noble and Rice bar his brain fart moment.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

The only thing I will say is, bar the fact that this is a reality check and we shouldn't be losing to Palace at home, these results will happen every now and again to a side who are in transition and looking to become better. The same could/will happen to the likes of Leicester this season.

On another note, it really baffled me that we had both Fornals and Wilshere on the bench but no Arthur?
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

BondsoBob wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:45 am Why do we nearly always look so laboured and lethargic?
Said the same thing, apart from Noble our whole side looked ****ing knackered. There was a period of play around 15 minutes from the end where Palace happily knocked it about and not one of our players had the legs to chase them down.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

With regard to our successful pass rate, I reckon a high percentage are between Diop and Ogbonna across our back line. Drives me mad it happens so often.
Ribbot
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ribbot »

We wont be fighting for top 6 with results like this.
Colours never run

Ribbot wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:37 pm We wont be fighting for top 6 with results like this.
But we will with results like the previous 6 matches...
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

fmgod wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:49 am Normally a big fan of him but Andersen played like he is upcoming Brazil(he isn't ) squad and didn't want to get a knock
Seems harsh, he got through a lot of defending, took people on (and got clobbered a few times for it), was excellent in tight passing whilst he dictated the passage of play that got us the lovely goal.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

johnnyb wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:32 pm With regard to our successful pass rate, I reckon a high percentage are between Diop and Ogbonna across our back line. Drives me mad it happens so often.
Same. We seem incapable of going from right to left or left to right without making at least 3 passes along our back line. By the time we have moved the ball the oppositions defence has shuffled across and any gain in momentum has been lost.
Ribbot
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ribbot »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:43 pm But we will with results like the previous 6 matches...
I'm not so optimistic. I dont see draws against Bournemouth, Brighton and Villa and losing to palace as indications of us being top 6 material.
Colours never run

Ribbot wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:11 pm I'm not so optimistic. I dont see draws against Bournemouth, Brighton and Villa and losing to palace as indications of us being top 6 material.
They produce consistent results like we did regardless of who it's against, you will find yourself in the top 6, just as we have been prior to yesterday. What we don't want is too many results consecutively like yesterday, but like City, that's been more of a one off in the League to date, which is a good sign. Keep the losses to a minimum then we should be there or thereabouts. Plus our only other distraction could be the FA Cup so the focus will also be there. It just frustrates yesterday because we had a chance to go top 4 again, but that doesn't mean we'll end there either. 30 more games to go yet and I'm still very optimistic for the season...
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

johnnyb wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:32 pm With regard to our successful pass rate, I reckon a high percentage are between Diop and Ogbonna across our back line. Drives me mad it happens so often.
This all day long. I lost count of the times I shouted at the tv yesterday saying "for f*** sake get it forward". They were beyond, especially the 1st half where they seemed to pass back and fore to each other way too many times.