West Ham Utd 1-2 Crystal Palace (05/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Graza

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Crystal Palace: Match Thread

Post by Graza »

Finally bothered to watch MOTD. I think it confirmed my view that we were wasteful up until we scored then totally took our eyes off the ball. Our goal was one of many quality build ups but the only one we stuck away which is disappointing. I had forgotten that their penalty came from a completely mindless and needless foul from Haller on the halfway line. If we'd got that free kick we'd have rolled it 2 yards passed 4 times and gone back to the keeper, they stuck it in the mixer and they get a penalty out of the chaos. Followed by a very soft free kick for that diving shitbag Zaha and just pony defending to let them win.

Zaha by the way should not have been on the pitch at this point, dive after dive after dive was waved away (and some bought) by the ref. Almost always followed by a mouthful for ref or lino. He should have had at least 6 yellows in that game and is everything that is wrong with the game.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Some player though. Does us every time.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:43 pm Some player though. Does us every time.
Just like Bellamy, who was an acceptable scumbag when he was our scumbag, I'm sure the Palace fans love him for his antics...
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Having said that , if we have any ambition of becoming a regular Top 8 side we need to have more players capable of going past defenders .
As Man City fans are no doubt agreeing with tonight!
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:26 pm It’s soo annoying that we chocked again - we could have been properly 3rd in the table going into the international break :(
No celebratory chock ices for lads after that performance :arry:
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

The hope destroys you really: allowing yourself to get high hopes - despite what you know from the past.

Some of the top clubs are a bit off the pace, we're doing okay, and only Palace at home to beat to climb into the top four.

Allowing yourself to slightly get ahead of reality.

Maybe if they gave it more of a go, it wouldn't be so bad. But there's too many out there not prepared to put their body on the line to make something happen.

At the end of the day, we did not want it enough. It's the resultant disappointment flowing through that does it.

Meh.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Does it count as choaking if you go unbeaten in 6 games and then lose the 7th?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Graza wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:33 pm Finally bothered to watch MOTD. I think it confirmed my view that we were wasteful up until we scored then totally took our eyes off the ball. Our goal was one of many quality build ups but the only one we stuck away which is disappointing. I had forgotten that their penalty came from a completely mindless and needless foul from Haller on the halfway line.
we were terribly wasteful first half.. awful miss by anderson, narrowly wide by lanzini and haller somehow found the keeper from 5 yards

on that second point everyone talks about all our eggs in one basket with haller and injuries etc.. what about suspensions?? he loves a clattering tackle.. he will be on 5 yellows before we know it.. then one ref will send him off for sure
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Awful timing for the Cresswell injury, would have liked to see Haller and Ajeti up top together.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we needed something different from the bench and cresswell getting injured was unfortuanate but did wilshere and fornals need to come on ?
we had no pace in the team or on the bench. masuaka would have been an option as he is good going forward and has speed to recover and was not playing too bad before he got sent off.

ajeti with haller had to be an option even for a few minutes. the lad never plays for us so how do we know if he is good enough ? another hughill developing maybe ?

we were unlucky to lose how we did but we were too slow and casual. after 6 games unbeaten our players believed they had arrived and didn't put the effort in. big time charlies were found out.

onto a tough away game at everton but I fancy us to get something
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Well that was a **** result!

We done enough to win the game, certainly at least get a point. We had that big team mentality, stroking the ball around but too many sideways & going back passes for me, plus not moving the ball quickly enough. I get that you need possession but we are lacking that extra gear in games presently. The goal was a thing of footballing beauty, so they can do it, just appear to be playing in safe mode too much.

Great to see better service into Haller, he should have buried the first chance but the goalkeeper did do well.

We are a good team, just lacking a little bit of "destroy them now mentality" to see off teams.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

I still don't know how we conspired to lose that.

Plenty of chances to score, compared to them who barely had a decent sniff. As soon as we went 1 up we just took our eyes off of the ball. A generous penalty and bad luck with the VAR, but the reality is we need to be taking our chances and then shutting up shop if we want to be 3rd in the table - we didn't, and so we aren't.

Still, back to the normal West Ham that I'm used to. All that big club, being at the top, favourites to win b*llocks felt a bit weird.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Thinking about it after watching the game for a third time and in retrospect - with the exception of the cup exit - we've been remarkably consistent with our performances for the last half dozen league games.

Saturday vs Palace wasn't that much of a different performance than vs Man U, Villa, Bournemouth, maybe Norwich . . . biggest difference was that we got zero points. Luck or no luck I can't complain about any result where we don't do nearly enough to deserve a win.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

richneal wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:02 am Thinking about it after watching the game for a third time and in retrospect - with the exception of the cup exit - we've been remarkably consistent with our performances for the last half dozen league games.

Saturday vs Palace wasn't that much of a different performance than vs Man U, Villa, Bournemouth, maybe Norwich . . . biggest difference was that we got zero points. Luck or no luck I can't complain about any result where we don't do nearly enough to deserve a win.
Their goals came down to more a lack of concentration on our behalf than from their quality as well, which is probably more annoying.
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Really disappointing for me.

I thought we got sucked in to playing their pace, especially first half where it was painfully slow. Every time we put a bit of pace in or play we caused a problem for them. Sadly we didn't do it often enough.

At 1-0 I thought there was only one winner but even that didn't really start us going.

100% agree we need Lanzini to be at 10 and not next to/deeper than Noble. I really don't want him picking the ball up between the centre backs. In fact get him as close to Haller as possible. Fredericks was great even with his poor foul late on. I thought Haller was good and another day he'd have had a had trick. Yarmalenko looks fitter but didn't have much go for him. Anderson whilst a little infuriating at times was the cause of everything good we did. I know people want more goals from him and rightly so but he is the one that makes things happen. I just want him to go at the defenders a little more than he does

Palace are horrible. Slow everything down to a pace which is unwatchable, give it to Zaha and watch him fall over but we got suckered in time and again by them.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:47 pm People who think we will come top six are a bit cloud cuckoo land IMHO
We are not a bad side. We are actually quite good but so are lots of other teams. We are not one of the best six sides

Our only wins are are against two teams who might get relgeated and a Man U second string. And there first string is rubbish anyway

We are a slightly better than middle of the pack team. Probably same as last year

We may break the elite at some point soon but it won't be this season
this x 100 Im so tired of " the positives" churning out stats about how good we are relative to last year / unbeaten at home etc

Reality is we have had a good couple of halves of football - maybe two "winning " 90 mins norwich and Man U- the rest is hit and miss and drew games we should have won ( villa and bournemouth) Against the kind of side showing good form ( the top 3 /4 ) i think we'll huff and puff for a while and then throw the towel in like we did against city

We should be much much better ( no europa league distractions ) and yet we still dont seem to have enough drive or fizz to win games that dont exactly pan out like manuel told them at the start of the game. Maybe only have one striker and not playing to his strengths isnt the best way to win games. what do you think>?
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Very Frustrating result.

That in general we were ok... We just need to up the tempo and force our hand more when we're in control. The goal came from one of the few moments when we moved the ball quickly.

Anderson and Lanzini need to up their games a bit and find that cutting edge.

Yarmolenko was our most effective player again.

Keeper looks like he's hungover :(
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

We had seven really decent chances not including the goal and took none, they created very little, and only worked our keeper twice from open play. We gifted them a free kick which they recycled into a goal and a penalty straight out of the under 10's six a side league.
Our goal was a thing of beauty, but we ended up with what our poor finishing and naive defending gets you in this league, nothing.
That performance could have come under any manger we have ever had, it was so typical of us as club.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Another frustrating thing, was that our goal was a great team goal and a worthy GOTM contender. Lots of quick one and two touch football, most of the team involved in the build up, and then a decent finish. If Liverpool or Man City had scored that, pundits everywhere would have been ****ing themselves silly about it, but because it's us and we went on to lose it's all completely forgotten now
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

Yep.