West Ham Utd 1-2 Crystal Palace (05/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Crystal Palace: Match Thread

Post by Samba »

sendô wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:38 am I still don't know how we conspired to lose that.
Plenty of chances to score, compared to them who barely had a decent sniff. As soon as we went 1 up we just took our eyes off of the ball.
During the game I feared them scoring first & then shutting up shop.
However, if there is anything called, 'The West Ham Way', it is that, what really happened. All the years that I've been watching us, we thrive going a goal down, that inspires us to get an equaliser & then heroically, go on to win the game. SO many times I've seen us score first & then look like we just don't know what to do next.
THAT, if anything, is 'The REAL West Ham Way'. With some exceptions aside, we've never seemed to have that ruthless, killer, winning mentality that you still need when you go 1-0 up. Sometimes, us scoring first, is quite often the worst thing that can happen. It's barmy. Perhaps it should come as no surprise that only Aston Villa (8) have lost more points from winning positions in the Premier League this season than us (7).
That is also exactly why we used to be a good cup winning team but never a title winning team.
There have been times when we've seen & very much enjoyed the opposite: 2nd tier promotion winning seasons. 85/86 & other high finishing top tier seasons but we can never sustain it. Our default position is plucky underdogs, coming from behind, against the odds. When it's us, Charlie Big Potatoes, we don't know how to handle it.
I've always said, the England national team are exactly the same. Out of everyone, West Ham are the MOST English of football teams.
We infect nearly every player that comes here, with that mentality. F*ck knows how..
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

davids cross wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:22 pm The hardest of defeats.

!.) I expected to win.
2.) Would have settled for a draw .
3.) We have better players than them
4.) We can go third.
5.) We have decent games coming up,
6.) Handball penalty decisions do my head in.
7.) The game was decided by VAR bollox......(correct or night)
8.) We never lose to Palace.
9.) Roy Hodgson is Mr Bean
10.) It's on TV
11.) In scoring the most beautiful goal we lost.

12.) Deep down we all saw it coming.
Lock thread.
mattyD
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by mattyD »

Don't want to bang on about it but the second Palace goal looked offside - not the scorer but the player who headed it back. Was that even checked? He seems clearly offside to me and probably what the linesman flagged for.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

mattyD wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:49 pm Don't want to bang on about it but the second Palace goal looked offside - not the scorer but the player who headed it back. Was that even checked? He seems clearly offside to me and probably what the linesman flagged for.
Heard an interview from a palace player saying that apparently the lino said they were checking the header back and that was what took so long as it was close.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I was in Dublin on a stag do watched it on TV
I was pretty hammered by that point but I am sure VAR checked both parts of the goal, one after the other. First the player who knocked it down, and then Ayew
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We'll slaughter them in the return .
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:47 pm We'll slaughter them in the return .
Out of interest what makes you think this?

I think we are lacking the intensity in our play to slaughter anyone tbh.

Don’t get me wrong we have the quality, but we are heavily reliant on a small number of moments of magic or real quality.

I missed the Norwich which by all accounts we played very well but apart from that I feel we are quite lacklustre, although fortunately we have players capable of moments of brilliance.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Doubt they will sit so deep with 10 behind the ball at theirs. Give our lot a bit more space and I suspect we'd score 2 or 3 as with Watford and Bournemouth.

Pellegrini made a mess of his subs on Saturday and we got sucker punched.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Don’t disagree we got sucker punched Bubbs. Did he make a mess of his subs or did he not really have the options to influence that type of game? One poster kept suggesting Masuaku be brought on - but he wasn’t on the bench. Shame as I’d have brought him on up the pitch personally.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

stu1 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 pm Heard an interview from a palace player saying that apparently the lino said they were checking the header back and that was what took so long as it was close.
Yeah. They checked both.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

On another day we’d have been two or three up at half time. We passed the ball around superbly at times but never really controlled the game tactically.

We’ve played worse and won....even this season. Very West Ham performance though....reminded me of many a game under the lights in the Redknapp days where you’d traipse back to the car/station unable to work out how you’d come away with nothing.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

... to the sound of thousands of seats being slammed down as a late equaliser or winner went in.

Everton did it every time.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

mattyD wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:49 pm Don't want to bang on about it but the second Palace goal looked offside - not the scorer but the player who headed it back. Was that even checked? He seems clearly offside to me and probably what the linesman flagged for.
To be honest, I think this is one of those VAR decisions where I want to see a 'Referee's call' built into the system - it's the one thing VAR lacks for me. Umpire's Call in cricket is something like 51% or more of the ball hitting the wicket then a 'not out' LBW call is overturned. Less than that and it isn't overturned, they stick with the umpire's decision. The same for an 'out' LBW call - if 50% or less of the ball is hitting the wicket, the DRS sides with the Umpire.

I really think, for offside decisions, this is an obvious situation where it is workable for VAR - half a player or more being offside is offside when you review an onside decision. A player being half a player or more onside (so half of a defender being ahead of the attacker) is onside when reviewing an offside decision. Between that is a 'margin for error' and you side with the on pitch decision.

Now, there are obvious issues with that as a plan - you're either offside or not, based on the current laws - but that's why it becomes an on pitch call and allows for there to still be a human element. The Umpire's Call has been adopted for a long time in cricket and is welcome, rarely complained about, and accepted. It's the same for both sides in cricket, would be the same for both teams on the pitch.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

https://www.claretandhugh.info/hammers- ... lnMYvFxTLs

"The FA and West Ham are investigating reports that missiles including a bottle were thrown at Crystal Palace striker Jordan Ayew after he celebrated in front of Hammers fans."

What the establishment will do to protect their own is baffling. No comeuppance for Ayew, not even a yellow card for running over to us in 113 and inciting us, really muggy from him. Who does he think he is? No verbals were given to him all afternoon, this was totally uncalled for.

Don't condone people throwing "missiles"..come on they more like beers...but reap what you sow n' all that.

Behave like a ****, you're going to get treated like one.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:55 pm Don't condone people throwing "missiles"..come on they more like beers...but reap what you sow n' all that.

Behave like a ****, you're going to get treated like one.
Think I'm starting to understand what Tottenham supporters are on about when they talk about one-sided rivalries. Jordan Ayew has desperately tried to make being a supervillain nemesis happen whenever he's at ours the last few years, and yet it's hard to really care. Too pedestrian a figure to get worked up about.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

I know we had some chances but on reflection was that one of the worst home performances in 2019? The fact we could have been third and all that.

I thought we were awful completely devoid of ideas
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Devoid of energy and pace apart from the goal we scored which was a great one. surely that showed we could do it and should have done more of it. fast passing and Anderson running at speed for once. good finish by haller, nice cross by fred .

then we went back to sleep and into our shell.

a draw was a reasonable result but we got done by a team that showed little.

play like that at everton and silva will be delighted.

not many choices to change it up within the squad which is disappointing as we have little pace or a second striker that pelle trusts !

roberto
fredericks diop ogbonna masuaka
noble rice lanzini
yarmolenko haller anderson

subs martin cresswell balbuena fornals snodgrass ajeti holland

we could try bringing cresswell on and pushing masuaka forward in front of him if anderson is not producing.

This team gives us pace at fullback and anderson .
Big game for lanzini as so poor last time and too deep. needs to switch with noble.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

People threw missiles onto the pitch?
They must have arms like Geoff Capes.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:47 pm Don’t disagree we got sucker punched Bubbs. Did he make a mess of his subs or did he not really have the options to influence that type of game? One poster kept suggesting Masuaku be brought on - but he wasn’t on the bench. Shame as I’d have brought him on up the pitch personally.
He took off Lanzini and put on Fornals. 10 minutes later he put on Wilshere and moved Fornals.... :?

Why not just skip the Fornals sub and stick Wilshere there?

Removing Yarmy was a mistake.He's currently our best AM in terms of product.

I wasn't sold on Fornals when first signed - relented in the U21s - but I'm seriously wondering now. I think it will undermine Pellers because we had loads of that type, yet we committed another £24m. Bloke needs some performances for his and the manager's sake.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Fornals seems to be lacking a bit of confidence at the moment. I'm still fully confident it will come as he settles in and gets more gametime.

Regarding the game... I personally thought we played OK and 9 times out of 10 we'd have won. Their goalkeeper made a couple of lucky saves that he didn't know much about, and Roberto was barely tested.

What annoyed me is that right at the end, like in the 90th minute, Anderson started whipping decent balls into the box aiming for Hallers head. I'm not sure why we had to wait so long.... I like Anderson but he does need a bit more of a killer end product. Haller is being wasted otherwise. We should be crossing far more, and another player should be getting into the box close to Haller to take advantage of his knock downs and chaos that he causes. It feels like every other team in the league gets more crosses in than we do.