CL/Euro games this week

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Modern

Re: CL/Euro games this week

Post by Modern » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 am

I’m very much Pochettino in, there is no way to escape questions after you lose 7-2 at home though that’s just how football is.

We actually played quite well in the first half hour, bizarrely enough. Must say BM's finishing was insanely good.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:01 am

I note Spurs are still 2/7 to qualify out of that group

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:15 am

This is the moment where we throw our heads back and laugh.

Estuary

Post by Estuary » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:16 am

A game of contrasting halves. Spurs had chances to take a two goal lead into half time had Son squared to an unmarked and better placed Kane rather than shoot himsel. He had more then one chance to do this and didn't, clear chances that he could have made for his team were passed over in favor of shooting from tight angles against a world class keeper, and just as the clock edged into the 44th minute Bayern's class when presented with even a glimmer of a chance told as Lewandowski fashioned a goal from nothing. The timing of that goal and a very flat start to the second half by Spurs saw the game ripped from them and in ruthlessly fashion they were put to the sword as the German side scored great goals almost at will.
Bayern might have been great on the night but Spurs had completely caved in.

steps

Post by steps » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:42 am

TommyHammer wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:14 am
They bought no one for two windows, £120 million isn't that much of a significant investment when factoring that in. Just like when we had a big payout in Pelboy's first window, it wasn't a "wow look at West Ham", it was West Ham catching up with the rest after windows of under investment.
True about the previous windows, but I think that was down to to stadium development. Similar to Arsenal when they moved to the Emirates.

S-H makes a good point about squad harmony. I think Eriksen sulking because he didn’t get a move to Spain is having a big effect. But that wasn’t down to Levy, that was down to none of his desired clubs making a bid for him.

Funny that they’re all bemoaning the Trippier sale now when at the time they were pleased to see the back of him saying he was t good enough.

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 am

Poch just isn't a winner, shown time and time again, when push comes to shove he fails, he is a very good manager but not a winner, Tottenham's chance at the league was the other year, I almost think buying no-one helped them as the pressure wasn't on as much, now they've spent a hefty amount in the summer and look worse

Great to see Hazard have another great game, OMG third best player ever nonsense, will flop extremely hard

Dele ali is basically just Kevin Nolan isn't here, always thought, bizarrely his stats are brilliant

I still wouldn't bet against Tottenham to get through really, they're group isn't that tough

Patito

Post by Patito » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:57 am

Sterling scored again....

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Patito wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:57 am
Sterling scored again....
And is still yet to do it when it really matters really, deep stages of the champions league or a big tournament, he's the same as most of the city team, proven at league level, yet to really shine on the big global stage in the champions league

mushy

Post by mushy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:02 pm

All it shows for me is how pointless these early Champions League matches are.
Everyone gets excited when the top teams lose but rarely do these top teams get eliminated at this stage and like last year I doubt if Spurs will either.
Its just another crap way of getting fans and TV companies to stump up a bit more money.

As ever, the fans are getting mugged off.

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:12 pm

mushy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:02 pm
All it shows for me is how pointless these early Champions League matches are.
Everyone gets excited when the top teams lose but rarely do these top teams get eliminated at this stage and like last year I doubt if Spurs will either.
Its just another crap way of getting fans and TV companies to stump up a bit more money.

As ever, the fans are getting mugged off.
Yeah it's made like this on possible isn't it, every tv money, sponsorship, gate etc also stops if a random small team beats a big team over two legs, like it currently is you get six chances

Modern

Post by Modern » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Think it’s all down to squad harmony in reality I agree.

I feel for Levy, he's basically allowed key players who refuse to sign new deals to run their contracts down to give Pochettino the best squad he can, now no one seems to want those players anyway (Rose, Alderwiereld, Eriksen).

With hindsight you can see when Spurs started to qualify for the Champions League and ‘get good', some players committed totally, like Kane, Lloris, Son and Alli. Signed new contracts, whereas the group above started to eye up huge contracts at other clubs. This has been coming to a head for maybe two years.

Equally while I am 100% Pochettino in, he has flirted with other jobs too and said some stuff in the media about leaving that can't help build stability. On the eve of the Champions League final he said we would leave if we won, is that helpful? Can the players be blamed if they stopped buying in after that?

I’m not remotely bothered that Trippier went, we need to build a fresh new squad in my opinion, Lo Celso, N'dombele, Sessengon and Clarke is an exciting start but it's going to take a year or two.

Patito

Post by Patito » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:15 pm

fmgod wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:01 pm
And is still yet to do it when it really matters really, deep stages of the champions league or a big tournament, he's the same as most of the city team, proven at league level, yet to really shine on the big global stage in the champions league
Lol at least you're not calling him rubbish anymore.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Plus he scored in the 1/4 final of the CL, and even though got scrubbed off by VAR in the dying seconds, is that not high profile pressure enough for you?

Sterling is a class act.

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:52 pm

was reading the beeb website and they had the River/Boca game as "Wednesday"

maybe I should have looked further as maybe the k.o. time in Buenos Aires translated to an early morning k.o. in the UK

so I missed the bloody game !!!!!!!!!!!

time zones !!!!!!

:oops:

Hammer1972

Post by Hammer1972 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:38 pm
Sterling is a class act.
Anyone who thinks otherwise at this point is either being contrary for the sake of it or doesn't really know much about football...

Patito

Post by Patito » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:25 pm

I don't know, he's no Granit Xhaka....

Billydinho

Post by Billydinho » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:33 pm

Modern wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Think it’s all down to squad harmony in reality I agree.

I feel for Levy, he's basically allowed key players who refuse to sign new deals to run their contracts down to give Pochettino the best squad he can, now no one seems to want those players anyway (Rose, Alderwiereld, Eriksen).

With hindsight you can see when Spurs started to qualify for the Champions League and ‘get good', some players committed totally, like Kane, Lloris, Son and Alli. Signed new contracts, whereas the group above started to eye up huge contracts at other clubs. This has been coming to a head for maybe two years.

Equally while I am 100% Pochettino in, he has flirted with other jobs too and said some stuff in the media about leaving that can't help build stability. On the eve of the Champions League final he said we would leave if we won, is that helpful? Can the players be blamed if they stopped buying in after that?

I’m not remotely bothered that Trippier went, we need to build a fresh new squad in my opinion, Lo Celso, N'dombele, Sessengon and Clarke is an exciting start but it's going to take a year or two.
I see it another way.

I see a squad that's slightly above average performing out of their skin for a few years finally getting stale, without any major investment whilst the iron was hot.

Now you're coming back down to where you probably should be...with a bang.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:38 pm

Let's be honest, Spurs will still, in all likelihood, finish 3rd in the League [albeit miles behind the top 2] and get to the Champions League QF

Coops

Post by Coops » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:13 pm

Modern wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 am
I’m very much Pochettino in
Me too.

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:13 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:38 am
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones....
Good quote:

I would say: "You just do not have to spit (in direction ) to heaven..."