Season ticket misuse – need some advice

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

LeftFootWonder

Season ticket misuse – need some advice

Post by LeftFootWonder » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi all
I’ve had a season ticket for the last 4 seasons right on the corner of the Trevor Brooking and Billy Bonds stand – the cheap seats. We’re 5th generation West Ham fans.

The problem is I’ve never sat next to the same person twice in all this time. I’m told it’s a season ticket holder as I’ve tried to get my wife and daughters season tickets moved next to me and been told I can’t.

In the last two games I’ve finally asked “the strangers” that sit next to me where they’ve been getting their tickets from, and I was told this weekend that they got them from a tout outside the ground.

So I can only decipher that the person who has those seats is printing their tickets, then standing outside the ground and selling them for an inflated price.

Am I wrong for being a bit miffed?

Firstly I want the seats for my wife and daughter so we can all sit together, but secondly whatever my personal wishes, the idea of these seats was to make football affordable for all, and now someone is ripping genuine fans off (or am I over reacting?).

I want the club to stamp this out straight away, am I right? Should I go to the club to highlight this?

Cheers all for your thoughts and COYI

LeonRivers

Re: Season ticket misuse – need some advice

Post by LeonRivers » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Absolutely. I imagine the ST will be cancelled and your wife should be able to have it next season (maybe even halfway through this season).

Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:16 pm

So you want someone else's ticket that they paid for so your wife can sit next to you?

If I buy something, it should be up to me to use it how I choose.

If someone is willing to pay an inflated price for a seat then that's also their right - the market will dictate what the price will be.

From my own personal perspective, being an exiled Hammer overseas, it's becoming obvious that getting tickets home or away for West Ham is almost a closed shop. How am I, and others in my position ever going to get to a game if there isn't a black market for tickets?

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:38 pm

Boooogers! wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:16 pm
So you want someone else's ticket that they paid for so your wife can sit next to you?

If someone is willing to pay an inflated price for a seat then that's also their right - the market will dictate what the price will be.

From my own personal perspective, being an exiled Hammer overseas, it's becoming obvious that getting tickets home or away for West Ham is almost a closed shop. How am I, and others in my position ever going to get to a game if there isn't a black market for tickets?
Touting is illegal, so it is not up to you to decide to sell it at an inflated price. It's a criminal offence which some Chelsea touts were recently sent down for.

I would hazard a guess that these touts do not own just one or two season tickets either, and that they are taking these seats away from true fans needing affordable football for their own personal gain, so yes you absolutely should tell the club.

Big George

Post by Big George » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:47 pm

Report them, it's an outrage. genuine West Ham fans being gouged by an STH who has never used the seat. Apart from fact its being preventing you from using it for your missus

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Boooogers! wrote:

Except when you agree to terms and conditions when buying it. Selling the seat in the manner outlined is contrary to those terms and conditions.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 pm

report the abuse and get the tout nicked.

Johnzo

Post by Johnzo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Boooogers! wrote:
Garbage. Away tickets are a closed shop but home aren't. Plenty of way to get tickets via Claret Membership, ticket exchange or purchase of tickets from genuine fans at FV or sometimes less. No excuse for a tout to exploit the few Band 5 ST available and then profit selling each game.

Coops

Post by Coops » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Somebody moving their ticket on to a friend or family member when they can't make a game (or even selling, at costs, through a ticket forum) is fair enough IMO. Somebody buying a tickets so they can sell it at an inflated price for pure profit isn't.

rudekid

Post by rudekid » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 pm

Definitely report them. I think similar is going on in our area as the 2 to the left of us always have different people sat there. I will ask where they got them next home game if they're taken....
It's in the cheapest block as well so if the touts do own them they must be making a fortune reselling them....

Aside from being illegal it's a nightmare for people wanting legitimate tickets. We have a block of 9 and make sure they're always full when people can't make a game. It annoys me when we can't get bums in seats and to have touts owning seats on our manner means we lose that community feel that you get with regular season ticket holders around you....

Row X

Post by Row X » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Before we all jump to conclusions.

You asked the last two games, and you only say that this weekend was from touts. What did the people say the game before?

Maybe the person that owns them has a serious health issue and has been unable to attend games due to this, but they don't want to give up their seat and are constantly putting them on ticket exchange... maybe this weekend the tickets were snapped up by a tout?

Think you need to ask a few more times before you go contacting the Ticket Office. If there is a pattern of 'got them off a tout outside', then fair enough go to the Ticket Office and let them know. Not sure you should be doing it after one time being told it.

S-H

Post by S-H » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:24 pm

As a fine man once said..

'No one likes a ****ing grass'

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Row X wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:18 pm
Before we all jump to conclusions.

You asked the last two games, and you only say that this weekend was from touts. What did the people say the game before?

Maybe the person that owns them has a serious health issue and has been unable to attend games due to this, but they don't want to give up their seat and are constantly putting them on ticket exchange... maybe this weekend the tickets were snapped up by a tout?

Think you need to ask a few more times before you go contacting the Ticket Office. If there is a pattern of 'got them off a tout outside', then fair enough go to the Ticket Office and let them know. Not sure you should be doing it after one time being told it.
This is a good post. :thup:

Big George

Post by Big George » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:58 pm

S-H wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:24 pm
As a fine man once said..

'No one likes a ****ing grass'
They tend to be bullies, perverts or thieves.

S-H

Post by S-H » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:00 pm

I mean, I dont know fj personally, but that's a bit strong..

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:16 pm

I agree that the OP needs to try and ascertain a few more details before going in guns blazing.

Did they say they had paid over face value or is that an assumption?

It is only this season that a STH has been able to download their own seat tickets, prior to that you have to forward to a registered account on ticket forwarding and the club would send a link to that account who would then pay an admin fee and they download the seat.

I guess it could have been possible for a STH to have had another account and in effect forward the ticket to themselves but I would imagine a tout would want to be "offgrid" and not registered anywhere.

If a ST seat became free I would expect it to be offered to next in line on the ST waiting list as well, although last summer existing STH holders were able to buy spare seats so the OP might be lucky.

If the OP feels they have got strong grounds to believe the tickets are being misused they should report it but they should just relay their observations as to lack of regular attendees and what has been said to them, don't start making accusations yourself as to what is going on.
Last edited by Kialos on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 pm

If somebody chose to prevent the missus from sitting next to me ,I'd buy them the bloody ticket.

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:07 pm

Tenbury wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 pm
If somebody chose to prevent the missus from sitting next to me ,I'd buy them the bloody ticket.
:lol:

Big George

Post by Big George » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:28 pm

S-H wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:00 pm
I mean, I dont know fj personally, but that's a bit strong..
The people who say “don’t grass”

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Might be a s/t holder who sells on exchange as the Club actively encourage. Whoever they sold it onto might be the person reselling it rather than the holder, especially if they have a paper ticket.

One seat next to me always has someone different in it or goes empty. Turns out it’s a distant s/t holder who always exchanges it.