Reid misses another return

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

hammer1975

Re: Reid misses another return

Post by hammer1975 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 pm

Billy :thup:

IIRC wasn’t Reid less than six months from walking out on a free? Arsenal and Chelsea were rumoured to be interested I think the rumour was. Fair play Winston, hope you get the chance to get back playing competitively in some way.

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:02 pm

Gabbidon had a brilliant first season for us, then was crocked/***** for pretty much the rest of his career. Winston was one of our best players for a number of seasons before the injuries struck. He was relatively ever-present until then. Like I said earlier, brilliant servant and arguably our best CB of the last 20 years. When all's said and done, he was a brilliant signing.

sendô

Post by sendô » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 am

It's a crying shame really, and it's amazing to read that Reid is still only 31. If he'd stayed fit and played as well in the last couple of seasons as he'd done before, the length of contract would be largely moot, and we'd all be happy enough one of our best players would be seeing out his career for us.

Reid is one of the best players we've had over the last decade, a solid pro who always put in his all and led the back line well.

As to cutting short his contract or retiring - well, surely the decision to retire is Reid's alone? Perhaps he doesn't consider that he's ready to retire, and probably thinks that he's young enough that if he can get back to full fitness he can play Premier League football again.

libero

Post by libero » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am

It's a great pity about Reid - these last 2 years of inaction could have been the best of his career - his strength and and experience could have been fantastic for us, but after so long out I'm beginning to doubt if we'll ever see him back in a West Ham shirt, which is a shame.

On the subject of players missing useful match minutes with the U-23s, I'm wondering where Ben Johnson and Mesaque Dju are. I know Xande Silva is apparently recovering from stomach problem (always seems to be something wrong with him) but where are the other two?

norse

Post by norse » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:38 am

Trying to make a comeback to the team but failing multiple times reminds me of what happened to Dean Ashton.

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:24 am

libero wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am
It's a great pity about Reid - these last 2 years of inaction could have been the best of his career - his strength and and experience could have been fantastic for us, but after so long out I'm beginning to doubt if we'll ever see him back in a West Ham shirt, which is a shame.

On the subject of players missing useful match minutes with the U-23s, I'm wondering where Ben Johnson and Mesaque Dju are. I know Xande Silva is apparently recovering from stomach problem (always seems to be something wrong with him) but where are the other two?
Both injured. I think Johnson's is relatively minor, if memory serves, but Dju was due to miss most, if not all, of the season with a cruciate injury he picked up playing against Reading.

libero

Post by libero » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks Yorkshammer - where did you hear about these two?
The news seems to have completley passed me by on both of them :?

pezza20

Post by pezza20 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:24 am

Reid must be finished, another return missed in the U23's impressive 4 - 0 victory at Stoke last night - not even on the bench.

hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:15 am

Impressive it was last night. Stoke had a experienced team out and the Holland/Powell/Scully combination took them apart. Reid? Sorry but forgotten poor old Winston!

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:00 pm

libero wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:04 pm
Thanks Yorkshammer - where did you hear about these two?
The news seems to have completley passed me by on both of them :?
(Sorry, completely missed this 12 days ago!)

Can't remember the Johnson one - think someone had posted something here or it might have been one of Ex's Tweets.

Mesaque Dju - https://www.hammers.news/injury-news/we ... us-injury/

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm

He's finished, needs to medically retire, 31 too, only going to get worse. Shame as he has always given his all for us and he comes across as the type gutted not to be playing for us and new Zealand

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:25 pm

fmgod wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm
He's finished, needs to medically retire, 31 too, only going to get worse. Shame as he has always given his all for us and he comes across as the type gutted not to be playing for us and new Zealand
It does sound like that's what the future holds. A real shame, another that can be added to increasing long list of players who's :crest: careers have ended prematurely due to injury.

hammers92

Post by hammers92 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Might not be any consolation at this point but he goes down in West Ham history forever after that goal in the last game at Upton Park.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:51 pm

reidy will always be welcome when he does leave the club

dju injured now
silva currently injured due back dec/jan
Antonio injured due back dec/jan
ajeti who knws if he is any good
haller fit at the moment.

I would say we need another striker !

libero

Post by libero » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:22 pm

As I commented before I really feel for the guy.
He's a quality player, great attitude and a fit Winston Reid would make our squad much stronger
I'll keep on keeping my fingers crossed for him rather than callously writing him off like some others

But related to this, what I have never understood with West Ham is the lack of clarity regarding injuries.
Other clubs give out weekly press releases on the exact state of their injured players with regular updates.
West Ham keep it all in the dark, annoying the fans and leading to uninformed speculation.

I live in San Seabastian & I'm a season ticket holder at Real Sociedad and we get daily press updates on injuries.
Result? Fewer rumours and greater understanding and supporters feel more involved

At WH we never know who's injured, why/howand for how long. Players drop out of squads, disappear from the team
and we have no idea why - as with Creswell last weekend. Why not just tell us?

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 pm

libero

I don't know how you can call those who have doubts about his future is being callous.

he hasn't played for 19 months

for every game the club say he is supposed to be ready for at the u-23 level, he suffers some type of muscle injury. how is it callous to doubt whether he'll play again or not.

and he is in and around 30 and not playing for 19 months in the PL is a big ask for him to make a come back.

that's not being callous that's being fairly realistic I would think.

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:51 pm

With Reid, I've almost put him to the back of my mind. Not because I don't want him to get fit and play, but because he's been out for so long.

I'd be more interested in seeing whether Cardoso can cut it in the Premier League right now.

libero

Post by libero » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Cuenca

I didn't call the people who are writing him off "callous" - how could I? I don't know them
I called the act of writing him off callous and I think there is a slight but significant difference.

When a professional sportsman (or anyone for that matter) is struggling with fitness or injuries,
the last thing he needs is people around him or in the press or in the West Ham world constantly
saying "Reid? He's finished, thought he'd left the club" etc

He is most probably having the worst time of his life and needs encouragement and support not
people saying he's finished, will never play again and so on. I personally have doubts as to whether he'll
ever play again and I'm sure he does too - but throwing it out there strikes me as callous

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:59 pm

libero

fair enough mate

but how can people honestly get behind him ? loads and loads on here have said "great servant" "top player" "happy to have had him" and I doubt he spends any time on here, or even if he pops in occasionally I don't see much negativity towards him.

hasn't played for 19 months.

30-31 years old

every time he is supposed to play for the u-23's he suffers some kind of muscle injury to set him back.

they're all facts. nothing being callous about it.

will he play again in the PL ?

that is a tough ask.

that's really all I have seen posted - yeah there's an occasional "forgot he was here" but that's par for the course.

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:58 pm

libero wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:15 pm
I personally have doubts as to whether he'll
ever play again and I'm sure he does too - but throwing it out there strikes me as callous
libero wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am
TBF you threw it out there yourself 13 days ago, there have been a couple of he's finished/forgot about him posts but in general they've all been much the same as yours.

Do we all want him to make a recovery and get back in action? Of course we do he's still our best centre back.
Do we have doubts about him ever playing again? Again of course we do.
Is it a shame/pity as he's a quality player that's always given his all and been a leader etc? Yes it is.

If Winston or any of his representatives do happen upon this thread then hopefully they'd find encouragement in high esteem he is held by the overwhelming majority.