Reid misses another return

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

BostonHammer

Re: Reid misses another return

Post by BostonHammer » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:27 pm

hammerman11 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:51 pm
reidy will always be welcome when he does leave the club

dju injured now
silva currently injured due back dec/jan
Antonio injured due back dec/jan
ajeti who knws if he is any good
haller fit at the moment.

I would say we need another striker !

libero

Post by libero » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:38 am

Faithless wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:58 pm
TBF you threw it out there yourself 13 days ago, there have been a couple of he's finished/forgot about him posts but in general they've all been much the same as yours.

Do we all want him to make a recovery and get back in action? Of course we do he's still our best centre back.
Do we have doubts about him ever playing again? Again of course we do.
Is it a shame/pity as he's a quality player that's always given his all and been a leader etc? Yes it is.

If Winston or any of his representatives do happen upon this thread then hopefully they'd find encouragement in high esteem he is held by the overwhelming majority.
That's a fair call Faithless, but I think I put it in supportive rather than callous way

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:59 am

How many games has Reid played since Sully handed him that 6 year deal ?

Westbourne Bill

Post by Westbourne Bill » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:11 am

“100% on track” for next month apparently...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/nz ... n-november

Lil Joe 17

Post by Lil Joe 17 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:19 am

I live in New Zealand and have done for 10 years but I'd be a bit pissed off if Winnie played for the All Whites next month.

I know the article states that he'd travel with the squad regardless, but if he got game time and risked aggravating the injury that'd frustrate me.

Graza

Post by Graza » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:43 am

Lil Joe 17 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:19 am

I know the article states that he'd travel with the squad regardless, but if he got game time and risked aggravating the injury that'd frustrate me.
It's the West Ham way. He'll go to give locker room leadership, do the last 15 of a match and be out for another year.

LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:51 am

libero wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:22 pm

But related to this, what I have never understood with West Ham is the lack of clarity regarding injuries.
Why not just tell us?
I sometimes wonder if the medical team know just as much as we do! :hush:

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:46 pm

libero wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:38 am
That's a fair call Faithless, but I think I put it in supportive rather than callous way
I agree you did it just still amounts to the same feeling that he might never make it back and tbh I was being picky as I was one of the ones that'd posted after your original post about it. By saying some left it open, imo, to include most of us that'd posted since that post, as opposed to saying a couple. Again though I accept that some is a vague term really and I probably took it wrong.
Westbourne Bill wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:11 am
“100% on track” for next month apparently...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/nz ... n-november
As long as managed correctly I'm for this and this is far more encouraging then anything we've heard/not heard from WHU. They're both friendlies; one in against the Republic of Ireland in Dublin and Lithuania in Vilnius. So not around the world or anything too ridiculous and a step up from U23 (if he gets a game or two in) but without the competitiveness of the prem.

WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:29 am

From a sentimental yet well-deserved point of view - it'd be great to have a joint testimonial next summer for Winston and Ginger Pele. Both deserve it individually IMO (Winny has never and could never be the same after the back injury; it affects everything else afterwards), and in our ongoing post-Upton Park malaise, it'd be a unique and final opportunity to remember 2 of the last few players from that era and conjure up some fond memories and recent nostalgia.

I would never expect this initiative to come from the toilet-rolls running our club, but maybe one of the fan groups could drip some poison in their ear?

Damn sight more fun and meaning than losing the Betway Cup to whoever finishes 5th in the Portuguese top flight next year, I'd say.

OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:42 pm

I wish Reid all the best, but would simply be amazed if he returns as anything close to the calibre he was before?

A testimonial? No. For me, they’re an outdated throwback to when players needed one last pay day before retiring.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:53 pm

OohAahButler wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:42 pm
I wish Reid all the best, but would simply be amazed if he returns as anything close to the calibre he was before?

A testimonial? No. For me, they’re an outdated throwback to when players needed one last pay day before retiring.
10 years at a club deserves recognition. Especially when proceeds go to charity like with Noble's.

WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:07 am

OohAahButler wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Yep, I know what you mean pal re:testimonials generally, but as with pretty much all these things nowadays it could be made meaningful - all proceeds to the BMF or the protagonists' chosen benefactors, and a rare upbeat and at least nominally traditional day-out at the soulless Bowl pre-season?

reo_coker20
One line wonder

Post by reo_coker20 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:35 pm

Admire Reid for he’s determination to get back but I think it’s over for him, I know he’s got a tidy wage incoming but can’t be good for he’s body the strain he’s putting it under

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:42 pm

Plays tonight for the U23s against Wolfsburg,

Westbourne Bill

Post by Westbourne Bill » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:28 pm

According to the official site “his work is done” and he’s been taken off after 64 mins... unscathed hopefully.
WH lead Wolfsburg 2-1.

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:40 pm

Brilliant news :crest:

Can’t wait for the noise when and if this fella makes the matchday squad again

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:12 pm

e17 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:40 pm
Brilliant news :crest:

Can’t wait for the noise when and if this fella makes the matchday squad again

Seconded. :scarfer:

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:23 am

good news for reidy. I hope he makes it back but cant see it myself. Sullivan will think its like a new signing and to be fair its been that long it is !

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:20 am

Good for Winston. He's been out so long and is so disassociated from the current managerial reign that it feels a bit like Steve Potts or Alvin Martin coming back.

Wonder what the record is for time missed due to a single injury? Seems only right West Ham should own that record.

To be fair, he was knocked unconscious and did his back and his knee on the fall back to earth, so it's more like doing a hattrick of serious injuries in a single gruesome incident.

YorksHammer

Post by YorksHammer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:56 am

Splendid news to hear he got over an hour in. A fit Winston will really bolster us. Probably going to take time until we see him in a Premier League match day squad, but a big step taken in his return last night.

Going out on a limb, I think he'll make a first start under Pellegrini in the third round of the FA Cup.