Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1665 likes

Re: ⚽ Everton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Samba

thing is this Gaffer bought all 3. so he must either see more in them than they are currently showing, or he sees them in some kind of system that again, hasn't come to fruition.

maybe he sees them as a base on which to build and will get rid of the others over time.

thing is, Noble just got an extension as did Rice.

Wilshere was another of the Gaffer's players, another who hasn't shown the longevity that is required.

I am really not sure where we go from here. the system has to be changed as we cannot change the players.

I am left scratching my head most times.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:30 am Samba
thing is this Gaffer bought all 3
Only 2 mate, Lanzini came here under Bilic.
Probably his lengthy injury off, made you think he was a new player when he came back!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1665 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

thanks mate, but it's my bloody memory

:lol:

still, including Wilshere, Pellers is responsible for 3 out of 4........ I think Fornals will turn out a good player, as I have said before you don't play for Spain's u-21 team in midfield without having something about you. not as if they're starved for talent

but, even when we bought him, my concern was that we needed someone alongside Rice, and that in actuality Fornals, Lanzini, Noble, Wilshere and to an extent Snoddy are very similar players - albeit they obviously have slightly different characteristics but essentially they are all CM's when we needed either another wide player (Yarmo/Antonio/Anderson only give us 3) or a technical DM/CM who can sit alongside Rice but with more speed to get forward and a greater range of passing.
TurtleTomlin

Post by TurtleTomlin »

Ah West Ham. Some things never change. From an unbeaten streak of 6 games, joint 4th and thinking this season is the one that we really put a challenge to the top 6th - to 2 awful performances as we sink into mid table mediocrity for another season. The humiliation of Oxford was all worth it.

First half our midfield was non-existent, every time Everton had the ball in our half they looked dangerous. Anderson gave the ball away in two dangerous positions in which he could have fed Haller. Lanzini was poor, created nothing and Fornals straying into an offside position when looking across the line was frustrating and amateur-esc.

Second half was not much different. Yarmo failed to make an impact when replacing Anderson. Although Anderson was poor first half, thought we missed him in the second. I thought Fornals should of been replaced and had Anderson, Lanzini and Yarmo behind Haller. We could not keep hold of the ball for long periods and collapsed under Everton's press. Neither Wilshire or Ayeti made any sort of impression when they came on.

Was it just an 'off day' or the wrong selection/tactics by Pellegrini. Given how poor our midfield was I would have to assume the latter. There is no doubt that Pellegrini has got us playing better football at times, however, when I spoke to my mate who is Man City, he mentioned that at the end he felt Pellegrini did not have any tactical prowess. It certainty was no on show yesterday. We didn't press, we were not looking to counter, we couldn't keep possession. What was the plan?

We have historically struggled against Everton but yesterday was nothing short of an embarrassment. Should of been 4 or 5. Big game next week.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

I revisited some media on about Pulgar, and he stated somewhere that hes a good friend of David Pizarro, the ex-ManC, and that "he helped him to take a decision on about his new club... "

So, its sounds like he has more offers and maybe could have choose West Ham, but Pizarro told him better to stay there and to go to Fiorentina...

Maybe some day we will know...

Still... its not about the players we want and are behind.. more about the players we finally GET...

As, I doubt, for example, that Pelle & Husillos would have signed Sanchez, if we had on the other hand Pulgar as a second choice ... But....

e17 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:28 pm Diop was our best player today and would be absolute runaway HotY for me so far

That’s just my opinion from being at the game and most of them this season
And its fair to you..

But, still, and I told it there too by my first comment.

"At least in the second half"...

What I really had not said there is that I only saw one half... :arry: :D

Still, my point is right, then, if we compared the 3 defenders last season, Oggie, Diop and Balbuena, the best of them 3 was Balbuena..

https://www.whoscored.com/PlayerComparison (As Balbuena has twice clears as Diop there, more interceptions and aereal duel wons with Oggie too. Diop but has more tackles and blocks)

So, to lose you best defender from last season, plus Anderson and Fabianksi is a silly one.
BethnalGreenHammer74
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by BethnalGreenHammer74 »

We have played one good game this season against Norwich. A poor Everton team lacking confidence won’t have an easier game all season. I find we have no plan b under Pellegrini.

If you’re on top and controlling a game that one man up top is great.
When you ain’t and struggling to link up play it’s pointless.
We change personnel and not the formation.
Yet again we lacked energy and passion. We seem so much slower and unfit han the rest of the teams in the league.

Mid table club going no where.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1515 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

we didn’t need Fornals, we needed a centre midfielder to help Noble and Rice. It was obvious to virtually everyone on this site or who watched us last year.

Poor management, but as we all suspected, there is never any money to spend in th second year of a manger’s reign and will ever be thus.

Still haven’t been to the stadium since Bilic left and won’t be going till the twats in charge are gone. They simply don’t care as long as we’re not in danger of relegation.

There was a massive opportunity for Europe this year, but it would have meant spending some money.

Pellegrini will take the money and his pride won’t allow him to do a bad job, but the only manager I would want here is one that wouldn’t work for these shysters.

Dreadful, but I expected it.
BethnalGreenHammer74

Turns to stone top post.

When our goalkeeper gets hammer of the year, surely that should have rang the alarm bells as to what players we needed to bring in.

There is not one West Ham fan who didn’t know which positions we needed in the summer.

One of those was a young energetic midfielder to play alongside Noble and Rice.

We are only four points above the bottom three and our performance yesterday was absolutely shocking.

I honestly think if we don’t win our next two home games, Pellegrini could be in serious trouble as the fixtures will start getting harder.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Turns to Stone wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:36 am we didn’t need Fornals, we needed a centre midfielder to help Noble and Rice.
That’s what Fornals is supposed to be, eventually. (Imo) He wasn’t brought in to play as a winger.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

BethnalGreenHammer74 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:00 am Turns to stone top post.

When our goalkeeper gets hammer of the year, surely that should have rang the alarm bells as to what players we needed to bring in.

There is not one West Ham fan who didn’t know which positions we needed in the summer.

One of those was a young energetic midfielder to play alongside Noble and Rice.

We are only four points above the bottom three and our performance yesterday was absolutely shocking.

I honestly think if we don’t win our next two home games, Pellegrini could be in serious trouble as the fixtures will start getting harder.
It didn't necessarilly need to be a young, energetic one. What was reqired was an experienced one who can break up play, be a right pain in the neck, put himself about, put a foot in and close down the opposition
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Said it many a time on here....we were about 12 to 14 points better off last season thanks to Fabianski's excellence where teams cut through us too easily.

How could our coaching staff not see this?
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1162 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

TTS :thup:

The summer window followed by the contract extensions of both left backs tell you all that you need to know about the ambition of the board.

This years accounts will be nice and shiny though. Reading the Chicharito sale thread seems that a lot of people consider that a positive in itself. Every cloud and all that.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

BethnalGreenHammer74 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:13 am

Mid table club going no where.
That's no doubt the GSB plan but worryingly we are always capable of exceeding our planned mediocrity and taking things to the next level into the relegation places. Two more losses against sides we should be beating and we could very easily be sitting in 18th place!.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1515 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Patito wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:17 am That’s what Fornals is supposed to be, eventually. (Imo) He wasn’t brought in to play as a winger.
Well I’ve seen nothing from him (either before he arrived or since) to suggest he’s capable of doing that. He, Wilshere and Lanzini are all fighting for a position that simply doesn’t work in our team.
BethnalGreenHammer74

Harry Hound :thup:
Some great views on here today and a lot of sense being spoken.

If us fans can see where things needed changing, why cant our experienced manager, his coaching staff, and our pathetic board not?

This season really was a season for us to spend more money in getting two or three more players and really having a crack at the top 6. Our squad depth is so bare, and that’s without our usual 5-6 players out at a time.

Hopefully yesterday’s performance was a one off, but I honestly think it won’t be.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Gomes ran the game yesterday, gutted we missed out on him in the summer.

Wasn't we linked with Tom Davies too? I thought he had a great game as well.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1162 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Said in the summer - Lanzini has performed best for us when he’s either coming in from the left or as support striker. His stats and performances in those two roles account for most of his goals and assists. This deeper role does nothing for him.

In my view he, Anderson, Yarmo and Antonio should be competing for two wide roles. Wilshere, Snodgrass, Noble, Fornals should be competing for roles in the middle. As others have said though - that mix is massively missing a more physical presence. The type of player we need to complete the midfield is expensive. Gomes has our whole midfield in his pocket yesterday.

I’d start Snodgrass centrally - he is at least a pest. However, I also think Snodgrass’ form tailed off massively towards the end of last season and he’s not been great last few appearances. Even at his best his defensive stats were only on a par with Noble, Fornals, Lanzini (who are all pretty similar when you combine interceptions and tackles).

The seeds of this malaise were sown in the summer window imo
PaoloD
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PaoloD »

Acid test is Sheff Utd. Roll in the Tevez factor and their fans/players alike are going to be bang up for it.

Question is, will ours be? The lack of intensity at Everton was horrible and show anything like that next Saturday and we are going to get turned over by a group who will will running through walls to get a result.

Noble is going to have to be in their heads all week. Match the desire and the quality should win through. Last 2 weeks suggests that is a big ‘should’ though...
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Poor management to go with poor performances, aside from the centre backs and Roberto, who whilst poor for the first did make some clutch saves and nine overall.

Snodgrass was needed in the middle with Rice and Noble. Not because he’s great, but he’s the only option in there who gets into people and works his nuts off.

Lanzini, well I feel for him, especially in the face of harsh criticism. He’s working in that middle to feed what’s in front of him. Fornals was no option, Anderson won’t get in behind, Haller comes towards him. I also felt they fouled him well.

Haller also is being used wrong. He didn’t play with strikers, as such, he played with wide forwards who’d get around him or beyond him. Again, Anderson appears incapable. Yarmolenko will get nearby, Antonio is the only option who goes beyond. Lanzini would, but he’s got too much burden in the middle.

As mentioned, Anderson is an issue. Is he following instructions? Is Pellegrini keeping him from making attacking runs? If he is, it’s insane. If he isn’t, Anderson is ignoring instruction and failing completely.

Fornals is not up to the English game currently. Even with Anderson playing poorly, Anderson was failing to get things right. Fornals was failing to be anything.

Noble was poor, Rice is in a poor spell and Wilshere has this use as a sub where he comes on, does a spin, impacts nothing and makes me sad.

Masuaku seemed scared, Fredericks is never in control.

Capable first eleven, lack of depth, pointless season.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

at the start joe cole said rice and noble would boss the midfield against davies and gomes !!! That turned out so wrong.

The main problem is our lack of energy passion and fight. virtually every team looks fitter faster than us

wilshere offers nothing at the moment but I guess we are still waiting for him to get fully fit !
lanzini has been so poor recently and needs dropping
Anderson needs to up his workrate and passing.

noble and rice need some help in the middle. time to bring Snodgrass in

pelle wont change his formation and has no plan b just keep playing the same way and hope it comes off.

nov/dec see some hard fixtures so I fear the worse if we don't get 6 pts from the next 2