Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Re: ⚽ Everton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Samba »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:42 am Regarding Rice and back up - isn't that what Sanchez is for?
Christ, I hope not!
That would be like getting rid of Dimitri Payet & then buying Robert Snodgrass..
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:18 pm Noble should be playing where he is now against better opposition away from home. What should also be happening is that there is a player behind him alongside Rice allowing us the opportunity to win the ball back and fight. we were overrun in midfield on Saturday and we simply don't have the players available to change that from happening.

I argued at the start of the season that what we really needed was the option of an extra body in midfield against better sides

Pellegrini's only options to firm up the midfield are Sanchez (a liability) or Snodgrass (essentially a winger who is willing to get stuck in). And that's if Rice and Noble go the whole season without getting injured or suspended.
I agree with every part of the post, especially in that Noble should have been playing that role but with the addition of someone else behind/around him.

However, I do think that team would have been vastly improved by Snodgrass. I much, much prefer him in central midfield (think his days on the wing in the Premier League are done) and think that game on Saturday needed a bit of a ratter, like Snoddy is in there.

Silva has said that they targeted Rice, getting two men around him, but Snoddy would have been in there fighting the attacking options. I also think he'd have been pissed off watching Gomes and Davies try put it about and would have gone into them. Further to that, we clearly needed someone in the ref's ear about Gomes and his number of fouls, Snoddy definitely looks the sort who is not holding that back.

We definitely should have a better player in there, but Snoddy is what we have and good enough to make an impact in a game like that.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Two points on Rice:

He was knackered, especially having just made a forward run (the best any of our midfielders made) into their box. I'm not surprised he was doing it alone, Pellegrini's late game tactic has often been "f*** midfield, put another forward player on."

His passing stats do get his sometimes more conservative passing, but it should be highlighted that he often does it one or two touch, and off either foot, which is so important for the momentum of the team. Not only to get attacks started, but to move the ball and shift players for getting the ball out of defence. The pace of his passing is bang on, too.

He won't be appreciated in this country, long term. Already he's seen as "do nothing" by England fans who moan that we can't win games in midfield against difficult sides and lack subtle play when needed. Heard on the radio that Winks has made himself a shoo-in for the role now: dickhead played a farce of a game against the worst side in the group and still got beat a few times. They'll find out he cannot do that role alone (I'd play the pair and leave out Henderson)
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Wilko :thup:

Winks/Rice is a good debate, personally I would play Rice against the better teams where the CDM role will be more important. Winks gets the nod for me for playing the "lesser" sides where we will have more of the ball as I do feel he picks a better forward pass than Rice does currently.

Rice is still learning, he is today though superb at what he does for us and his role is very undervalued by some. If he does not improve his passing in regards being more offensive (I think he will), he will still be a class act for what he brings to the team.
englebert

Post by englebert »

Clearly the team is unbalanced, especially away from home. Too many flair players. I don't think Lanzini is really effective in the middle. I see why Pellers is doing it, If you have Anderson, Lanzini and Yarmolenko you would want to play them all. But for me it doesn't work. Also i imagine Pellers would like Lanzini to be able to get up and support Haller but he doesn't

It would be nice if Wilshire was able to play alongside Noble and Rice in a 3 man midfield but he doesn't seem to be able to cover enough ground. Fornals is not ready yet

Looks like Snoddy for me in the middle with Rice and Noble. Anderson, Lanzini and Yarmolenko battling for 2 spots in the wide positions

Disappointing that i am wanting snoddy in the team, as we shouldnt need him, but some players not doing the job who should be able to, and i think the scot would put in a shift