West Ham Utd 1-1 Sheffield Utd (26/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Northbank Bar
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Sheffield United: Match thread (26/10)

Post by Northbank Bar »

RichieRiv.You have pm.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

For all the supposed creative players we're supposed to have, I honestly don't think we're very creative at all. Doesn't matter how mediocre the opposition is supposed to be, I always find they seem to carve out opportunities far easier than we do. Our tempo is all back to front... we rush it when we really need to keep our foot on the ball and get back into the game, and when we should actually be driving at them, we're pissing about playing it backwards and working it back to our keeper. Sheffield United made us look easy to defend against. I don't believe the rumours of Haller wanting away - but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit fed up. The service we've given him has been rubbish. Yarmolenko seems to be the only player in our entire squad that can actually cross the ball accurately and pick out a man. Andersons final ball is a complete let down. He does all the hard stuff and then screws up with the final simple ball, time and time again.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Yarmolenko is an exception amongst our flair players - with the others I hope they play a good ball or hit a good shot; with Yarmolenko , I expect it. He's my favourite player by some distance at the moment.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Fornals, Anderson and Lanzini have created the square root of f*ck all this season. We need at least two of them to seriously up their game if we hope to be comfortable in the top ten at the end of the season.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:14 pm Yarmolenko is an exception amongst our flair players - with the others I hope they play a good ball or hit a good shot; with Yarmolenko , I expect it. He's my favourite player by some distance at the moment.
That lay off for the goal; sublime.
So pleased for The Snodmaster. An honest footballer & he really stepped up today, like we wish others would/could.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Second year in a row where by prioritising the money league we have ended up with worse performances and results in it by throwing a cup game. We basically deliberately played ourselves out of form against Oxford.

Players get the message that their club lacks ambition. Accordingly performances decline so results decline.

Ironically, if they gave the cups a decent go the sacred PL status would be even more secure and good players would be more likely to want to stay. But no, we don’t have the ambition or nous to see it that way. Shame. This most definitely is not the West Ham I grew up with. That’s the bigger shame.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Why was Ogbonna dropped? I think he has been one of our better players this season. I would put Balbuena as our third choice centre back, i just don't think he looks that good and the £4million we spent seems justified. You buy cheap, you get cheap
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Just watched highlights on MOTD - we could have been 3 or 4 down before our goal!!
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

The Gibbins wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:54 pm Why was Ogbonna dropped? I think he has been one of our better players this season. I would put Balbuena as our third choice centre back, i just don't think he looks that good and the £4million we spent seems justified. You buy cheap, you get cheap
After Yarmolenko & Rice, I thought Balbuena was our best player today. But I don't think Diop, Oggy or the General are the problem anyway.

and I actually thought Roberto was alright today too.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

I don't think we won 1 header in sheff united half today , I don't get the idea to play zabaleta over fredericks today , I kinda get Balbuena starting to offset sheff utds threat upfront, but ogbonna was unlucky to be dropped , despite sheff utd having the clearer chances I thought we were the better team , but we just cant get into 3rd gear anywhere , passes underhit , all over the place , the decisions to take off Snodgrass and Anderson to me were bewildering , and our bench today hardly inspired either , time to give young mr Holland a taste of 1st team squad football , we have no zip in midfield , Haller just about missed everything today , crowd seemed to just accept the mediocrity on show .
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:01 am Just watched highlights on MOTD - we could have been 3 or 4 down before our goal!!
This may come as a surprise but MOTD is edited highlights that can totally distort the game. We were well on top for most of the first half but they made it look like we were under the cosh. Dissapointing to not win, but most of the posts before the game predicted a loss. Was right behind the shot for their goal and it took a spin of the turf and crept in. I don't think the keeper was at fault.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:01 am Just watched highlights on MOTD - we could have been 3 or 4 down before our goal!!
The bit where they thought they'd scored but the bloke had headed it backwards was comedy gold :lol:
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

I haven’t seen MOTD but I can confirm from going to the game that we really could have been 3 or 4 down before we scored.

We had loads of possession but created nothing. They had far the better chances.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

goa127 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:12 am This may come as a surprise but MOTD is edited highlights that can totally distort the game. We were well on top for most of the first half but they made it look like we were under the cosh. Dissapointing to not win, but most of the posts before the game predicted a loss. Was right behind the shot for their goal and it took a spin of the turf and crept in. I don't think the keeper was at fault.
Well on top? We had the ball but hardly managed a shot. They should have been out of sight at half time on the basis of chances.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

we had plenty of disjointed performances last season , however we had good striking options off the bench and in quite a few cases , both Perez and Hernandez won us games last season , we don't seem to have any game changers atm , esp as Haller is out of form and Ajeti hasn't found any
Antonio is out and that's my 2 pennys worth
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:16 am The bit where they thought they'd scored but the bloke had headed it backwards was comedy gold :lol:
Thought Roberto had made a great save, at first :oops:
Bit happier with him now, though.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

PF. wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:19 pm i can see some regular posters on here spouting a few paragraphs thinking they add superb content when in reality it’s regurgitated **** from the opinions of others. you’re not fooling me, mate.. you look a bit silly.

we were **** today. devoid of cunningness and confidence where it mattered, the gaffer is on borrowed time. the blame is firmly in the board room.
Whilst the board are to blame for many things it is a bit rich to blame them for Anderson’s current inability to finish, the fact Snodgrass hit the post or the excellent save their keeper made from Yarmolenko. Any opinion I express is my own.

If anyone looks silly it is a person who blames the board for every problem at the club rather than the things they are responsible for.

The game was there for the taking second half when they opened out to get the equaliser, we failed to take the chances presented and ended up with the draw. The same result as Watford, Bournemouth and Chelsea and better than the one Everton managed. These are a very hard working well organised side who do not concede many, heck Liverpool only put 1 past them late on, they will not be an easy touch for anyone. To create half a dozen or so acceptable chances against them (eg the cross Yarmolenko should have attacked better first half, the Cresswell cross to the far post with no-one attacking it, the goal itself, the Haller/Yarmolenko chance early second when Haller should have taken responsibility for a shot, the tame Anderson effort, the excellent save from Yarmolenko and the ball that hit the post) was not **** or a lack of cunning, not taking more than one of them was ****.

As for the substitutions it was difficult to see who he should take off, our most creative player was Yarmolenko and he remained this to the final whistle. No way should he have come off. Lanzini was likely to replace either him or Anderson so Anderson was the choice.Perhaps with hindsight no substitution was the better option but had he not made it and the result remained the same I suspect he would have been criticised for that as well.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

MadMart wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:15 pm where is this "next level" we were promised on the arrival of the Dildo Bros all those years ago??
They delivered almost straight away. They took us down to the next level for a season. :D
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

arlhe wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:20 pm Much the better team and should have won.

I have said this about a million times in my life and I'm ****ing sick of it.
We were by far the worse team in my opinion
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Both sides had plenty of chances. It's a disappointing result, but a draw seemed fair to me. Two lower mid-table sides, imo.