The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1960 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Re: January

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

thing is mate, we (G & S) are obsessed with mostly attacking players.

if you remember Utj and I both posted yesterday that our entire back 5 + subs cost about as much as Haller or 1.25 Anderson's

Fab = 7M
Roberto = 0
Martin = 0
Zaba = 0
Fredericks = 0
Balbuena = 4M
Diop = 21M (the odd one out)
Oggie = 7M
Cresswell = 3M
Masuaku = 7M

ball park as I can't remember exactly how much each exactly was

Total = 49M for TEN defensive players

T-E-N
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Were we looking at Stanislav Lobotka of Celta Vigo at the same time we were scouting Maxi Gomez ?

January move ?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:31 pm thing is mate, we (G & S) are obsessed with mostly attacking players.

if you remember Utj and I both posted yesterday that our entire back 5 + subs cost about as much as Haller or 1.25 Anderson's

Fab = 7M
Roberto = 0
Martin = 0
Zaba = 0
Fredericks = 0
Balbuena = 4M
Oggie = 7M
Cresswell = 3M
Masuaku = 7M

T-E-N
Not sure the money is the real issue, the only teams with current better defensive records are, it's what games are conceding in and how the system and defence are protected

Liverpool, City, Manchester United - mega money
Leicester, Wolves - Spent a bit, not miles more than us though
Palace - Cost about a tenner
Sheff Utd - Five pound

Palace are playing a free transfer in goal, Ward at Rb, Cahill signed for free, Kelly signed for 2 million years back and PVA 7 million
Leicester - Schmicheal 1 mil about ten years ago, Chillwel youth system, Perreira 20 mil, Sonchuy 20 mil, Evans 3 mil
Sheff Utd - shirt buttons
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

understand where you are coming from mate...

Zaba and Oggie will need replacing very soon. both reserve keepers will too. Roy gets more out of Palace in general I think than our bloke

ditto with Rodgers @ Leicester. even with Fabianski last season we let in way too many goals and allowed him to be the 1st place (or thereabout) in saves. we needed 2 goals last term to get a draw.

you had better have a solid DM/CM area or that is never going to improve.

10th in the table

PL stats -

13th with 13 goals scored.

against 14 so not that bad considering 5 of those came against Citeh.

scoring 1.3 a game conceding 1.4

I suppose the table don't lie.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:39 pm Were we looking at Stanislav Lobotka of Celta Vigo at the same time we were scouting Maxi Gomez ?

January move ?
Yep, his name came up in a 'double deal' with Gomez, I seem to remember. Which was all suspected to be part of a plan to keep the cost Celta declared for Gomez down and reduce payments back to his former club by way of a sell on.

Then we decided Lobotka on his own was too expensive, if I remember the reporting correctly.
Patito

Post by Patito »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 pm Tell me why not.
Myself and others already have. Multiple times.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

you could just flip it round ask why would he?

We could probably afford the amount it would cost us to buy him from Atletico [based on his release clause info], but then so could many other clubs in Europe who can offer him a lot more than we can in both cash and opportunities for success
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3013 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I'm starting to subscribe to the theory our support has given up, accepting meekly whatever cast off's our multi millionaire Chairman decides he can sign for shirt buttons.

Partey is 27 in June and Atletico will be looking to sell .

If , as supporters, we're not willing to demand our owners show sufficent ambition to soign players of his calibre, we have zero chance of retaining Rice.

Remind me why we moved ......
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

usually Atletico sell players and they go to good teams. or retire.

currently they are 1 point off the top of La Liga

they are joint top of their CL group and look likely to qualify.

have you seen their new stadium ? not as good as the OS but very nice !!

:wink:

https://en.atleticodemadrid.com/galeria ... ports-city

training facility

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spani ... b460b.html

Atletico Madrid are third on the list with an annual wage limit of 348.5 million euros, up from 293 million euros last term.

350,000,000 EUR is equal to 303,093,000 GBP @ 1.15 Euros to 1 British pound.

someone will have to tell me if that is about on par with ours up/down etc as I honestly have no clue.

https://www.capology.com/club/atletico-madrid/salaries/

according to this he makes 2.5M Euros a season. just over 2M quid per so we could better that no doubt.
Crouchend_Hammer

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:49 pm I'm starting to subscribe to the theory our support has given up, accepting meekly whatever cast off's our multi millionaire Chairman decides he can sign for shirt buttons.

If , as supporters, we're not willing to demand our owners show sufficent ambition to soign players of his calibre, we have zero chance of retaining Rice.

it is nothing to do with showing ambition, just realism

It would be the same if Everton or Leicester wanted to sign Declan Rice. They can have all the ambition in the world, and chuck all the money at i they way, but it isn't going to happen because Declan Rice won't go there

We could offer him 200k a week [which we wouldn't], but so could Real M, Bayern M, Barcelona, Juventus, Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal [maybe], PSG,
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Pinky

as a footnote - your assumptions about them selling at a specific age,

Costa is 30 they just pretty much got him back
Koke is 27 I don't see them selling him any time soon
Savic is 28
Morata is 26 and I reckon they'll buy him

they don't have an aging squad overall. Godin stayed until he was what 30+

Partey would attract interest from any number of top European clubs.

I don't disagree that we "should" be aiming at that type of player. I just don't see us doing it.

and also 100% - Why DID we move ? (rhetorical as we all know the answer).

as an aside, do you ever see Romford on your travels and if so, is he still in the "Move" camp these days ?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:53 pm it is nothing to do with showing ambition, just realism

It would be the same if Everton or Leicester wanted to sign Declan Rice. They can have all the ambition in the world, and chuck all the money at i they way, but it isn't going to happen because Declan Rice won't go there

We could offer him 200k a week [which we wouldn't], but so could Real M, Bayern M, Barcelona, Juventus, Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal [maybe], PSG,
You reckon Rice wouldn't go to Leicester ?

That's a big call given them likely to be in the CL next season.

They could afford to pay him hamdsomely as well.
Crouchend_Hammer

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:58 pm You reckon Rice wouldn't go to Leicester ?

That's a big call given them likely to be in the CL next season.

They could afford to pay him hamdsomely as well.
No I don't think he would go there. I don't think he would leave for anyone except a club that is established as 'regular' qualifiers of it - by regular i don't necessarily mean every year, but a club who has probably at least 50% of qualifying in any given season

But your reason why he might i.e they are in the Champions League, is exactly the reason why Partey wouldn't choose us from a host of suitors he is likely to have, all who would be in it!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:31 pm thing is mate, we (G & S) are obsessed with mostly attacking players.

Fab = 7M
Roberto = 0
Martin = 0
Zaba = 0
Fredericks = 0
Balbuena = 4M
Oggie = 7M
Cresswell = 3M
Masuaku = 7M

T-E-N
The last starting right back we spent money on was Lucas Neill. 2007. I think that tells it's own story, to be honest with you. Before we signed Fabianski I think the last starting goalkeeper we spent money on was Rob Green.

When you look at the money we spent on Diop - each of the other three positions in the back four probably needs the same spent on it to make a dramatic improvement. Pereira cost Leicester about that, for example.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Rice isn't going to Leicester and Partey isn't coming here.

We can "show ambition" and bid as much as we like for Partey it doesn't mean he'll want to join us. Atletico will want to keep him. If he is ever made available, there'll be a queue of Champions League clubs wanting to sign him.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Yorks

in total agreement. I don't mean to say that there aren't bargains to be had, far from it. but trying to assemble a top (6-8th place) defensive unit for peanuts is short termism.

I am sure that G & S would love an NBA team where all the money and interest is in the players who score boat loads of points.

those teams (in general) win titles.

outscore your opponent. but it is much easier when a "team" consists of 5 players on the court. change 1 and your team can be 20% better immediately. change 2 and it's 40%.

I am generalising of course but it's reasonably true.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

I simply don't believe incremental improvements will work.

We need a quantum leap .
BostonHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by BostonHammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:39 pm Were we looking at Stanislav Lobotka of Celta Vigo at the same time we were scouting Maxi Gomez ?

January move ?
I believe Pellegrini was told one of Lobotka, Jordan, and Fornals and he went with the attacking option. He shouldn't have had to choose between them. If we had Lobotka or Jordan (my preference) in midfield with Rice we'd be doing a bit better.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

with this lot in charge Pinky, no possibility.

they've only ever really done "stop gaps" so I see no real signs of the above happening. none.

which means of course new players every couple of years. big names with injury doubts, freebiee big names or low budget unknowns hoping for success.

Anderson and Haller being exceptions - however I honestly believe they were hoping for huge improvements and the opportunity to sell in a couple of years. we already have the "gentleman's agreement" (if we believe the outlets) if a CL team comes in for Anderson he can go for 60M

the way things are going for him right now, we'd be lucky to get our initial investment back.
BostonHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by BostonHammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:49 pm I'm starting to subscribe to the theory our support has given up, accepting meekly whatever cast off's our multi millionaire Chairman decides he can sign for shirt buttons.

We moved so Sullivan could go around asking for £600m as he is actively doing now. 66k new stadium with no initial upkeep costs rather than 35k old stadium is part of what he's advertising to buyers.