The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Re: January

Post by Sloop John B »

Patito wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:45 amFair enough it seems it was just me who rated him then.

:wink:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Patito wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:45 am Yes that’s why he left us.

Fair enough it seems it was just me who rated him then.
Nah, I liked him Pat.
Ok, he wasn't a Payet (who is) but he never stopped running & did a good job when he was here.
I think the team missed him after he left.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I didn't particularly rate him when he was here but somewhat perversely feel we could do with him in this current squad.
El Brooko

Post by El Brooko »

Doubt we will spend much but then I wouldn't expect us to announce we will be spending either.

Couple of loan deals. Before the Euros should look at international players out of favour looking to make their Euro squads. Obs don't expect much last few games not wanting to get injured.......
Graza

Post by Graza »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:01 pm https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... ck-january

West Ham won't spend in January transfer window despite Manuel Pellegrini sack pressure

The London Stadium chiefs think the Chilean has a good enough squad to start rising up the Premier League table, according to the Daily Star.
So he's already briefing the press to suppress any expectation or clamour for the investment we didn't do in the summer to be done in Jan instead.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Sloop John B wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:55 am Image

:wink:
Solid GIF! :D There was a thread at the time with posters saying they’d turn down £15mil plus for him.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Behrahmi would be a great option for us right now. Can play right-back and in the centre of midfield, would provide legs for Noble and bite and experience for Rice. He's twice the central midfielder that Snodgrass is, and whilst he didn't set the World alight, it is our obsession at looking for players that do that will harm us in the long run.

Tomkins, Fernandes, Kouyate, Behrami, Obiang, Darren Randolph are all players that should be in and around our squad right now and would make a huge difference. When you compare them to the likes of Balbuena, Wilshere, Sanchez, Fornals, Roberto and Zabaleta....we would be in a much stronger position if we had chosen to try and hang onto these players than let them go.

We know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
ads78
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by ads78 »

TTS - couldn't agree more.

Replace Sanchez, Wilshire & Fornals with Kouyate and Behrami and we would be far far stronger and probably even financially better off!
Boghopper
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Boghopper »

What about that little Argie midfielder we almost signed? From Stuttgart maybe?
Graza

Post by Graza »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:03 pm Tomkins, Fernandes, Kouyate, Behrami, Obiang, Darren Randolph are all players that should be in and around our squad right now and would make a huge difference. When you compare them to the likes of Balbuena, Wilshere, Sanchez, Fornals, Roberto and Zabaleta....we would be in a much stronger position if we had chosen to try and hang onto these players than let them go.
I thought Behrami had run his course with us and when Rudolph went we had Adrian and Fabianski so I didn't sweat him leaving. The others there I was annoyed at the time to see leave.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Patito wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:45 am Yes that’s why he left us.

Fair enough it seems it was just me who rated him then.
He was another one of those I thought was going to be a proper great signing and then sort of had 5 good games for us.

The player I miss is Kouyate - he was like a lotto scratchcard - for every £2 winner there’d be 2 straight in the bin efforts

But I loved those £2 winners
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Graza wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:23 pm So he's already briefing the press to suppress any expectation or clamour for the investment we didn't do in the summer to be done in Jan instead.
Highly likely, Graza.
The thing is though, Sully has kind of f*cked himself up (as the tight-fisted are often prone to do). We all presume that he'd rather us stay in the PL.
In order to do that, either he's got to spend some cash in January or change the manager & still spend some cash in January.
Unless we suddenly transform our form with the players we've got, if he doesn't, the downward spiral continues. It's up to him.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Boghopper wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:12 pm What about that little Argie midfielder we almost signed? From Stuttgart maybe?
Santiago Ascacibar. Tenacious little midfielder. No idea how he’s doing this season but he’d be written off for being too small.
Graza

Post by Graza »

e17 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:19 pm He was another one of those I thought was going to be a proper great signing and then sort of had 5 good games for us.

The player I miss is Kouyate - he was like a lotto scratchcard - for every £2 winner there’d be 2 straight in the bin efforts

But I loved those £2 winners
He was a bundle of energy. He wasn't always a directed bundle of energy but given how flat we've been recently it's what we desperately need.
BostonHammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by BostonHammer »

Peaches wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:19 am Given that Sullivan is incredibly cheap, there are some ways to strengthen the squad without spending a fortune.
Juventus have too many players. They have left Mattie Perrin, Mandzukix and Emre Can out of their champions league roster, and will have to drop someone else when Pjaca comes back from his injury. Can literally has no future at Juve under Sarri and is exactly what we need, and gas plenty of experience in the Premier league. A loan with an option / obligation to buy in the summer would be a very cheap way of massively upgrading our midfield. AC Milan are a complete disaster ready to have a fire sale, Franck Kessie is another perfect player for us and while he is one of their better players, they initially exercised their option to buy him to generate a capital gain by selling him for more than they paid, now they will take almost any gain meaning a £27m bid will probably be enough. Adding Can and Kessie to our midfield would be an upgrade the likes of which we have never seen at West Ham.
If it sounds too good to be true...it usually is.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

anyone remember those goal time tickets you could be ? they had a time printed on them and you tore them open to see what time you had and if a goal was scored on the time you had on the card you won.

think they were 6d.

:lol:
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Matic to WHU??? (rumour)

Opinions???

From me is a yes (with some objections too).

Peaches wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:01 am I think Sullivan has s huge Dilemma in January. He can either sack Pellegrini and payout £20m, spend £30m+ to strengthen central midfield and defence or do neither and risk losing £150m by getting relegated and still have to pay £12m to sack Pellegrini.
I’d say strengthening the midfield and defence is the most sensible option, but a) Sullivan is too cheap, and b) he really doesn’t trust his manager and director of football.
I can see this happen... as in his time in Malaga, Al Thani (the sheik owner) they have no money to invest in the team then... Proof of that is the fact the club is now on second division and all the time battling not to get broken or disappear..

Boooogers! wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:47 pm UdC - Eric's not well known outside the PL. Probably will turn out to be a disappointing flop unless Sully is willing to follow him around the pitch with his "tickler"
Thanks, Hammer mate.... I thought it was some allegory to a meme personality or something like that. :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Huge NO to Matic from me
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:14 pm Huge NO to Matic from me
our midfield would go from pedestrian to M(st)atic.......

:D
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:14 pm Huge NO to Matic from me
Sadly this has got Sulli special written all over it.