The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Re: January

Post by Gsbgsb »

Current form we are likely to get more of a return from Matic than we have from Fornals who really needs to show now he is worth the £24m what with the Lanzini injury.

Sanchez is gone in the summer, get Matic in and I believe that would make us a stronger side short and medium term.

This refusal to look at a player over 30 some have is strange, Cahill has proved one of the best signings of the summer. Yes he was “gone” in as far as Chelsea were concerned but he is showing he had at least one more year at Premier level. If you gave a specific need (experienced organiser at the back in Cahill’s case) then fill it.

What we need (presuming initially at least we revert to a more defensive midfield set up as per last season) is someone to take some pressure off Rice (who is another nowhere near last seasons form) and Noble.

Silva commented on how Everton executed a plan to attack the space around Rice and I suspect others are doing similar, at present we cannot play the 4-1-4-1 we often seem to employ. We need more defensive cover in the midfield.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Gsbgsb wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:34 am Current form we are likely to get more of a return from Matic than we have from Fornals who really needs to show now he is worth the £24m what with the Lanzini injury.

Sanchez is gone in the summer, get Matic in and I believe that would make us a stronger side short and medium term.

This refusal to look at a player over 30 some have is strange, Cahill has proved one of the best signings of the summer. Yes he was “gone” in as far as Chelsea were concerned but he is showing he had at least one more year at Premier level. If you gave a specific need (experienced organiser at the back in Cahill’s case) then fill it.

What we need (presuming initially at least we revert to a more defensive midfield set up as per last season) is someone to take some pressure off Rice (who is another nowhere near last seasons form) and Noble.

Silva commented on how Everton executed a plan to attack the space around Rice and I suspect others are doing similar, at present we cannot play the 4-1-4-1 we often seem to employ. We need more defensive cover in the midfield.
Its thinking like that, from those in charge, why we keep finding ourselves in this position most seasons.

We need to add energy in midfield, not another statue.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

mattic in for what one season and then what we start again ? he is too slow for us we need some pace and energy in there not another training cone !

there must be a 24 year old energetic DM out there somewhere. I thought we had a great scout and management team who would bring in this new talent.

Roberto fornals martin sanchez wilshere ajeti are saying otherwise at the moment.

fornals to play CM in place of noble seems to be the decision pelle has to make. its his preferred position , I hope he is up to it.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Does the Matic link signify that Mario Husillos' days are numbered as a WHU DoF?
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

S-H wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:46 am Its thinking like that, from those in charge, why we keep finding ourselves in this position most seasons.

We need to add energy in midfield, not another statue.
Yup... Try and sign big name players... have to offer them big wages and long contracts to get them to come... They work for a bit then we need to improve on them and then they are sat on the bench sucking up the big wages...and then we struggle to get rid of them to get someone else in...

They are appealling to the board because they are "names" and don't cost a fortune in fees.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

We are linked with the portuguese Olympiakos´s Keeper Jose Sa...

26 years old, 1.92 m (6 ft 4 in), ex Porto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_S%C3%A1

He looks good, I have to say... :thup: (But so Roberto at the same club.... :D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtVv-ZddN9A
Universidad-de-Chile

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:21 pm last summer maybe but this season ? he can't seem to win a header.

Diop 1.8 tackles (Masuaku 3.6) - 0.5 blocks (Oggie 1.5) - 1.8 interceptions (Rice 2.1) - Clearances 3.8 (Oggie 5.4) - Aerials 2.7 (Balbuena 5.2)

he doesn't lead the team in any defensive category unfortunately - I know someone will tell me stats don't relay the whole story but I saw him get beaten in the air by Bernard last season and he's 5'5"

:lol:
Good analysis, my friend... and its exactly why I wanted the duo Balbuena-Ogbonna at the back.

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:20 am If it were to be Matic on loan or no one, I'd say Matic. If it's buying Matic or no one, i'd take no one.

There are so many better options, even if I think we could do with a disciplined midfielder who just wants to support the defence (and add some height)
+ 1, so my thoughts.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:19 pm We are linked with the portuguese Olympiakos´s Keeper Jose Sa...

26 years old, 1.92 m (6 ft 4 in), ex Porto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_S%C3%A1

He looks good, I have to say... :thup: :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtVv-ZddN9A
From that video, I noticed he didn't use his feet much, always a way to judge a GK, he also didn't collet one shot cleanly, pushed too many of them straight out in front of himself, but then did get something on the follow up. Quick off his line, which was impressive, seemed better with high shots, but they're always easier for a GK to save. Positioning looked O K, but overall, my impression was, he didn't look all that secure to me
Da Vinci
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Da Vinci »

Sandro Tonali of Brescia the new Pirlo. Sadly the chairman has been quoted he wouldn't sell him for 250 million. The Daves must have some loose change laying around somewhere :lol:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Da Vinci wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:54 pm Sandro Tonali of Brescia the new Pirlo. Sadly the chairman has been quoted he wouldn't sell him for 250 million. The Daves must have some loose change laying around somewhere :lol:
What a talent. Surely he'll be gone in the summer at the latest, they're heading back where they belong.
Universidad-de-Chile

Last edited by Universidad-de-Chile on Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Universidad-de-Chile

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:51 pm From that video, I noticed he didn't use his feet much, always a way to judge a GK, he also didn't collet one shot cleanly, pushed too many of them straight out in front of himself, but then did get something on the follow up. Quick off his line, which was impressive, seemed better with high shots, but they're always easier for a GK to save. Positioning looked O K, but overall, my impression was, he didn't look all that secure to me
Here in his time in Porto before moving to Greece and for the portuguese National team... :scarfer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gscSJK6T2p4
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm Here in his time in Porto before moving to Greece and for the portuguese National team... :scarfer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gscSJK6T2p4

Still quite a lot of shot saving with his feet, although as they say, it doesn't matter how you save them, but I still noted how he failed to collect any of them cleanly. He does seem to get down quickly, which shows agility and that is always crucial for a GK and is often overlooked by managers and coaches. That part of his game is impressive. There was one clip where he made a bit of a mess of a routine shot, low down to his right, the ball once again popped out and he was rescued by a covering defender who hit it out for a corner. We have yet to see what he is like on crosses. A couple of smart penalty saves and I think one of them was made in a shoot out as the taker made no attempt to put in the rebound
Universidad-de-Chile

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:24 pm Still quite a lot of shot saving with his feet, although as they say, it doesn't matter how you save them, but I still noted how he failed to collect any of them cleanly. He does seem to get down quickly, which shows agility and that is always crucial for a GK and is often overlooked by managers and coaches. That part of his game is impressive. There was one clip where he made a bit of a mess of a routine shot, low down to his right, the ball once again popped out and he was rescued by a covering defender who hit it out for a corner. We have yet to see what he is like on crosses. A couple of smart penalty saves and I think one of them was made in a shoot out as the taker made no attempt to put in the rebound
+ 1

Good summary, mate!

Have a nice weekend.
Universidad-de-Chile

We are linked now again with a transfer for the Besiktas and Croatia national defender Domagoj Vida ...

30 years old, 1.84 m (6 ft 0 in), 79 cups for Croatia (4 goals), 54 games for Besiktas (6 goals there) and played already with Yarmolenko in Dynamo Kiev...

He would cost around €10 million (£8.5 million),

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/repo ... agoj-vida/

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/29239 ... magoj-Vida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domagoj_Vida
Universidad-de-Chile

Vida looks very decent, I have to say....

So its a yes from me....

Some vids on him:

- World Cup 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT-0rdR13k0 (played against England there too)

- Besiktas 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4N1dyHde0o
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

to be honest, I don't see spending 10M E on another CB - Reid might be getting fit, Cardoso is one for the future and we have other needs - RB, LB (although I don't see us getting in one anytime soon) and a B2B MF

so spending 10M (that we don't apparently have anyway) would seem one right out of left field as our American friends say !!!

:)
Universidad-de-Chile

Yeah, its still all only speculation, Cuenc, BUT....

Or a) We give every manager at least 3 years or a propper time to develop his whole project.. (Pelle, Allardyce, etc, EVERY one!)

v/s

Or b) We will have to take almost every "mediocre" sign we could, ex-players & big na,names like Matic, as EVERY help is needed and too much welcomed... (The likes of Perez last season, for example are the typical example of a mediocre player, that at the end brings a lot if they give us 2-3 goals or assists or something that could we lead to get some extra points in the table)

We say in Spanish: "The need has the face of an herectic one" :arry: (Sorry, I just do not know the popular adage, so feel free to post it to me if you have it!)

So has it been the game...

But its only my humble opinion...
Last edited by Universidad-de-Chile on Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Universidad-de-Chile

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:02 pm to be honest, I don't see spending 10M E on another CB - Reid might be getting fit, Cardoso is one for the future and we have other needs - RB, LB (although I don't see us getting in one anytime soon) and a B2B MF

so spending 10M (that we don't apparently have anyway) would seem one right out of left field as our American friends say !!!

:)
Thanks for that! :thup:

Never heard the say, so I have learned something today! 8-)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

"Out of left field" is American slang meaning "unexpected", "odd" or "strange". The phrase came from baseball terminology, referring to a play in which the ball is thrown from the area covered by the left fielder to either home plate or first base, surprising the runner. According to mlb.com there is another meaning: "The term 'way out in left field' is taken to mean 'crazy.'"

:clap: