The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2571 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Toure is a defensive midfielder from the french league that we've been linked with. Dyche been watching him a while too allegedly.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 768 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

BARKING IRON wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:54 am What about Doucoure at Watford
wanted him for ages but thought he was destined for bigger things. will be the juiciest bit of flesh on the watford corpse when they go down.
Tackler

Post by Tackler »

HammerAl wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:59 am Sander Berge. Norwegian lad who has played for Genk in the CL this season. Big, strong, quick, young and very good on the ball.
Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:00 am Toure is a defensive midfielder from the french league that we've been linked with. Dyche been watching him a while too allegedly.

Cheers :thup:

I googled them and they would be interesting options, Berge seems to be destined for another CL team
djoe

Post by djoe »

Berge is in talks with Napoli , but is the type of player we should be looking at.
Touré at Nantes also that type midfield dynamo big strong , good feet.

Touré is a kind of Gueye player who was at Everton ( now PSG)

Sullivan likes a loan so why not put in a sneaky loan bid for Jovic. Him and Haller are friends and form a deadly partnership , would allow Antonio to do his magic on a wing
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Edit - wrong thread
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

As has been the case for what seems like forever, decent CM's, FB's and another striker are what's needed but I doubt anything will get done to address the blindingly obvious issues our squad has in this window or the next unfortunately.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

Faithless wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:18 pm As has been the case for what seems like forever, decent CM's, FB's and another striker are what's needed but I doubt anything will get done to address the blindingly obvious issues our squad has in this window or the next unfortunately.
But...but...bargain South American winger???
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4379 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Telegraph linking us (and others) to Manquillo at Newcastle.

RB, out of contract in the summer.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1307 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

You could probably link us to any free fullback.
Tackler

Post by Tackler »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:57 pm Telegraph linking us (and others) to Manquillo at Newcastle.

They never learn do they? Continue to "spend" the absolute minimum on the fullback positions and centre mid. It´s very boring and unambitious but what do we expect from these owners? Just looking at the team of the decade is a very depressing sight... If this doesn´t change soon another 10 years of midfield mediocrity awaits.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2571 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Regarding Manquillo...

"When Manquillo has played as an out-and-out full-back in a defensive four, particularly when the naturally right-footed Spaniard has been used as a makeshift left-back, he has often struggled throughout his Magpies career to date.

Yet he has appeared far better suited to playing right-wing-back in Benitez's current 3-4-3 system, given that Manquillo has much more freedom to attack and has less of a responsibility defensively in that role."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... z-15945417
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Southampton are an interesting side. I actually rate both Romeu and Cedric and think they would be decent with us. Not sure if they'd move but they've been rubbish this season.

Definitely would improve our squad and they look they could do with a change of scenery.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

It will be interesting to see how our transfer plans take shape this upcoming window.

It seems that our record signing Haller needs someone up top with him, therefore we are more likely to revert to a 4-4-2. So with this in mind, who do we replace.
So the team who started Vs Southampton -

Martin
Fredericks
Ogbonna
General
Creswell
Noble
Rice
Snodgrass
Fornals
Haller
Antonio

with Fabianski, Diop, Lanzini, Reid, Wilshire, Arthur, Anderson and Yami, fighting for places soon as well.

The current team are still not playing well and the other names who didn't start on Saturday are generally injured so cannot be relied on.

I think Fab and Martin are ok for keepers.

I would stick with the left backs for now, and buy a right back as I don't think Zaba can be used in the first team now.
central defence I think will be ok as with Reid coming back and worst case Rice can drop.

Central midfield is a big one. with only two spots in the middle do we lose RIce or Noble from this 11? We need more energy and drive so maybe Noble? Fornals is more natural for a playmaker role, the same as Lanzini. If / when Wilshire comes back he is a decent midfielder so there are options, but right now we need a different option.

The wingers are not good enough. Yami is too hit and miss and Anderson is a no 10 for me. Antonio is predominantly a winger but has been causing problems up front. On reflection, I would put Antonio on the right and I think the chaos he brings would help generate space for two forwards. I would like to see Holland given a go on the left.

Forwards, well we only really have one!
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:57 pm Telegraph linking us (and others) to Manquillo at Newcastle.

Salvation is upon us. I can almost smell the European fixtures.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:04 am Southampton are an interesting side. I actually rate both Romeu and Cedric and think they would be decent with us. Not sure if they'd move but they've been rubbish this season.

Definitely would improve our squad and they look they could do with a change of scenery.
Cedric is their fans No1 hate target at the moment it seems. I believe he's out of contract in the summer and is not interested in staying so you may get your wish
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Cedric was absolutely roasted by Antonio at one point on Saturday, I know Antonio is quick, but Cedric looked like he was running through treacle!

I always thought he had decent pace, clearly I was wrong.
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

I’d persist with the current lot of full backs for now - Integrate Johnson (when fit) and phase out Zaba.

The priority has to be an all singing/all dancing midfielder.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

PlaistowIron wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:29 pm I’d persist with the current lot of full backs for now.
Hard to know what to make of Fredericks, other than that he would have been a good option in the late 90s since he does defend well and his pace helps the team out of danger in other situations where he may not have got it right the first time.

But his attacking brain, anticipation, and passing skills are League 1 standard. And I mean that literally, not as an exaggerated insult. I don't think it's something that can continue next season with a guaranteed starter. At the very least there needs to be an option in that position.
PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron »

Agree with Fredericks passing, he seems to be one of those players who is worse when he has time to think about his options. His technique is also odd at times...

I totally agree we could do with an upgrade, but I’d personally prioritise a midfielder for now.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Ornstein in The Athletic says we’ll be busy and has us interested in:

A British goalkeeper
A holding midfielder
A winger
Another striker