The January Transfer Window 2020

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

S-H

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by S-H » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:16 am

Hasn't Martin proved to be an able deputy? Why not promote him to No2 and Anang to No3

For a tight-fisted git, Sullivan knows how to waste his money, doesn't he.

ashbanki

Post by ashbanki » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:29 am

With Sullivan it's all for show - spend stupid money on high profile managers and "marquee signings" regardless of if they fit in to the systems being used - Haller as a one up,Hernandez and Perez were only utilised due to injuries or chasing games.Slow languid wingers in the fastest league in the world .
He is not prepared to invest in the behind the scenes infrastructure,training facilities, scouting networks not dictated by agents and the like.It's not the lack of investment I'm pissed off about, it's the reactive,show off short termism that sees us lurch from one drama to another, whilst he cashes in off the back of it!

denzel

Post by denzel » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:31 am

S-H wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:16 am
Hasn't Martin proved to be an able deputy? Why not promote him to No2 and Anang to No3

Martin us injured at the minute.

We are probably petrified of having Roberto ever start for us again! :D

PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:34 am

I assume Martin’s injury is quite lengthy. Although I’d rather go the loan option of Begovic rather than spend a fee on another keeper.

We’ve also got Trott on the books who seems to be having a steady season on loan at the Dons.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:34 am

S-H wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:16 am

For all of the great story around Martin he is not good enough to be back up for a premier league club. There is a reason he is 34 and never played top flight football and has never really been a regular at 2nd tier .
He was signed us a training ground keeper after not being good enough for Millwall

A competent back up keeper is essential in case Fabianski gets injured again

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:35 am

Funny how we have changed manager and yet all our transfer targets have remained the same.

e17

Post by e17 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:37 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:35 am
Funny how we have changed manager and yet all our transfer targets have remained the same.
The speed at which we changed managers was quicker than a Just Eat delivery.

Moysey probably gave them his shopping list in November

S-H

Post by S-H » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:38 am

Next season sure, let's go out and buy a keeper that will push for Fabianski's spot, but for now surely a loan will suffice, if Martin is indeed out for a while.

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:41 am

I wouldn't be surprised if this Barbosa deal happens. This will be Sully's way on trying to settle the restless support by spending big(ish) on a striker. As he knows that's what gets the supporters all soppy and excited. And he does love only spending big on a striker our Sully!

I reckon it'll be him, Randolph coming back (unfortunately) and we will finally sign a midfielder, but it'll be an uninspiring signing like Joe Allen (unfortunately).

In regards to Diangana potentially coming back, IF Moyes decided to keep using Masuaku at left wing then we 'may' potentially be able to leave Diangana until the end of the season. As that will inject much needed pace out wide in midfield at least, with us having: Masuaku, Anderson, Antonio and Fornals that could all do a job there, However that'll mean we'll now need a younger leftback instead to compete and eventually dislodge Cresswell. Although that 'could' wait until the summer if Ben Johnson is fit again as he can play leftback too if needed.

This is what I would personally do in January:

* Sign a goalkeeper: Neil Etheridge would be my choice. Watch Randolph's performance against Man Utd when we beat them 3-2 and his remaining matches he started for his before he was dropped for the equally unreliable Adrian and still tell me you want us to sign him....

* Sign a central midfielder: I'd sign Jonjo Shelvey. He would add some bite, leadership, add another British player to the squad which IMO we are lacking, peak age and is out of contract in a season's time so may not be too pricey. He could be the perfect Noble upgrade/successor.

* Experiment for a couple of games, starting with the Gillingham game by playing Issa Diop in central midfield as I really believe he can play there. He is quick, physical and a pretty decent passer. If it's a success that's our midfield sorted and we may be able to hold out on signing a centre half until the summer with Balbuena, Ogbonna, Reid and Rice (last resort as cover) available. But when we do move for one we really need a physical 'old school' centre half that is good in the air. A James Collins type player.

* IF the Diop experiment is unsuccessful I'd move for: Nemanja Maksimovic. Wouldn't be too pricey and ticks a lot of boxes for what we need.

* Sign a versatile striker: Go get Jarrod Bowen. For me he is the young hungry player we need up top and I think he'd be the perfect replacement for Yarmolenko.

* Outs: Loan out Roberto with view to a permanent, sell Yarmolenko and Wilshere. We won't be able to shift Sanchez and Zabaleta until the summer as they'll be out of contract.

westlondonhammer

Post by westlondonhammer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:43 am

S-H wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:38 am
Next season sure, let's go out and buy a keeper that will push for Fabianski's spot, but for now surely a loan will suffice, if Martin is indeed out for a while.
This

Begovic is one of the few keepers whose reputation has got worse as they hit their 30s rather than better... however I'd take him on loan and send Roberto anywhere

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:46 am

Does Randolph count as homegrown?

Seems to be a no-brainer to aim to have your second keeper be homegrown (the way we go about things anyway - in a well run club that looks to win things and is willing to spend on defence you’d just try and get two good keepers) to allow more potential flexibility in the rest of the squad.

Don’t want to have to be forced to bid for Shelvey or sticking with Cresswell for another season just because we had to balance out the 25.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:47 am

S-H wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:38 am
I have no issue with a loan gK till end of season, but we do need someone

Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:57 am

Please no more Fancy Dan foreigners that have never played here, can't see Moyes wanting them in

Shevley's name has been mentioned almost ever transfer window and never happens, well he's old enough and probably cheap enough now and would be better than Joe Allen stuck at Stoke were the fans now don't like him

westlondonhammer

Post by westlondonhammer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:59 am

Aceface wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:46 am
Does Randolph count as homegrown?

Seems to be a no-brainer to aim to have your second keeper be homegrown (the way we go about things anyway - in a well run club that looks to win things and is willing to spend on defence you’d just try and get two good keepers) to allow more potential flexibility in the rest of the squad
Begovic has been in the UK since he was 17... 2005... does that count?

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:09 am

forget Randolph and bergovic too old and not good enough to push and take over from fab eventually. etheridge from Cardiff was good in the PL and shouldn't cost too much.

shelve is not what we need but better than allen.

we need that strong and fast CM to add some legs in the middle of the park. it would then allow us to have noble as a usefull sub and snoddy.

get rid /sell yarmolenko 10m Roberto free sanchez free zabaleta retires summer

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:10 am

e17 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:37 am
The speed at which we changed managers was quicker than a Just Eat delivery.

Moysey probably gave them his shopping list in November
Possibly.... but it's also possible that Sulli took over from Husillos in November in terms of recruitment and these are his picks. If Moyes has any say on the matter, I imagine he'll opt against most of these. I really can't see him wanting to spend a big chunk of his budget on Barbosa. If he was available on a loan then maybe, but I doubt we'll buy him outright. I think he'll have a bunch of names he's interested in that the press don't know about yet.

Saying that... we've been linked with Joe Allen for a couple of weeks now. Moyes is a known admirer of him. Maybe it's true and he has been worming his way in and giving advice to the board for weeks.

And I am still curious about who this was... https://www.claretandhugh.info/pellegri ... matically/

Moyes?

leer34

Post by leer34 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:28 am

We don't need joe allen or shelvey we need the complete polar opposite, young, athletic up and down midfielder who can turnover possesion and transition to our forward players.
Every 1 in 5 games our midfield works then people seem to quickly forget the other 4 games where the midfield gets walked through like the red sea.
If anything we need 2 new central midfielders.

Romford_Iron

Post by Romford_Iron » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:31 am

Shelvely isn’t good enough. We’d be looking to replace him with a better player in the summer, so why bother wasting money on a player to be a backup when we’re already inundated with midfielders that aren’t good enough for the first team?

We need to sign a proper midfielder that is going to be in the first team for the next few years. Shelvely isn’t that player, and any money spent on a backup option means less money (either now, or in the summer) to spend on someone that is actually good enough.

mattyD

Post by mattyD » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:33 am

Can people please stop with the suggestion of Diop in midfield. He has not and will not ever play a single minute as a midfielder. He's got as much chance of playing in midfield for West Ham as I have.

PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:36 am

Shelvey is a MOTD player. Looks fantastic on a highlights reel, but other than one of 2 bits of quality per match, can be pretty much anonymous.

We need someone to run all game, box to box, can tackle, score a few, with decent passing. Basically, a Scott Parker... although a bit taller would be preferable for that added physical presence :thup: