The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Who's surprised he was never coming to us it's the usual January bullshat :crest:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Or... it could be the same agents who said Chelsea were involved, doing the same again, perhaps to give us a kick up the arse, and get the deal done already.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

I thought it was common knowledge that Fernandes representatives had offered him to everyone...

Seems as tenuous as any other link... it's just a journo going: Spurs have an injury + Jose is Portuguese = This seems like a good story (and to be fair, that's how the Guardian article reads too)!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:51 pm Although I still maintain Allen would be a great signing for us.
Only 29. I thought he was a lot older than that. Not a bad player, bit of a playmaker too. No doubt we'd ruin him.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Why would Tottenham go for Gedson? Don't they know Joe Allen and Fellaini are avaiable?
S-H

Post by S-H »

Jose likes a 'Matic type' midfielder, I can't see him going for a young exciting player like Fernandes.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Who still thinks Sullivan is going sign anyone? Vote now: Yes / No
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

BalaamBoy wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:09 am Living abroad, I'm not as up to date on other players as most on this board, so names like Cooley, Berge etc don't mean too much.

What does concern me more is our inability to fill positions from within e.g. the Cullen vs Allen discussion. Is it really better to have someone else's old player albeit one with PL experience, or should we take the chance for our academy players to grow. Rice is a good example - how much better is he today, than the gangly kid with the shocking Barnet that first showed up a couple of seasons ago.

Allen plus Randolph, squad/back-up players at best, would cost 12m. What is the cost of investing properly in our academy and developing our future squad in-house?

Maybe I'm just delusional (probably), or maybe it's the nature of the game and the need for short term financial reward at the expense of long term structure and commitment, but I know I preferred our team (and football in general) when the backbone of the squads were local, or at least locally developed.

What I'm not in favour of is splashing cash on mercenaries that will kiss our badge today, and someone else's *rse tomorrow just so that they and their agents can receive a wedge for the transfer.

Semi rant over, sorry, back to those that know . . . .
Generally it's just about the quality of the league, every once in a while a club has an amazing run with their academy and gets what... 3-4 consistently selected players at the same time? The PL is the best and deepest league in the world, and no academy can really churn out the number of players of that quality needed to be competitive. Further it isn't really about investment, sure the best coaches and facilities can help at the margins, but mostly getting good academy products is about 1. Attracting some of the very few youngsters who have the ceiling to get to PL player, 2. Keeping them.

Now what we could do.... is target younger players who have shown potential for their age and slot them in for finishing, we've made some attempts at that (Xande Silva, Quina, Haksabanovic, Odubeko, Hollan, Samuelson) though none have broken through yet.

Generally though, 1-2 major developed in-house players is about par for the course outside of say the top 6 (and even they are often more like our Hollands, scooping up the most promising youngsters from other clubs with the promise of prestige and big wages).
wormley

Post by wormley »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:49 pm
Benfica holding out for a preferable renumeration structure no doubt.

You know, the kind that involves actual payment.
wormley

Post by wormley »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:43 pm Who still thinks Sullivan is going sign anyone? Vote now: Yes / No
Of course he will.

Randolph 4m
Allen 5m (8 year deal)
Fellaini 6 month loan with his Chinese club paying half the £200k p/w wages
McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by McKnightmare »

Just buy Sander Berge and be done. Bloke won’t likely need bedding in and would complement Rice and add a bit of energy.
Just feels like it’s a transfer staring us in the face, what with his past links.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Ten years this crap has been going on, can't wait for the usual line coming out that we tried so hard but just couldn't get it over the line.

The only reason all of the players we were so close to getting didn't sign is Sully won't pay the money.

Oh well only 3 more years to wait before they get over the finish line and sell up and walk away with all the dosh.
S-H

Post by S-H »

McKnightmare wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:15 pm Just buy Sander Berge and be done. Bloke won’t likely need bedding in and would complement Rice and add a bit of energy.
Just feels like it’s a transfer staring us in the face, what with his past links.
But if we have the opportunity to buy the player, with the best chest control in world football, instead, we'd be mad to pass on it, surely?
snooperpooper
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Didn't want Moyes back but have to say my opinion turned based on the performances, results and the positive noises coming from the players but if he brings Fellaini in I'll be doing the 180
McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by McKnightmare »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:17 pm But if we have the opportunity to buy the player, with the best chest control in world football, instead, we'd be mad to pass on it, surely?
There is that I guess.

Good upper body skills = season ticket sales / stadium naming rights.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Latest twist in a complicated saga has seen Spurs enter the race after being contacted by Jorge Mendes, the player’s new agent. It is understood that Mendes, who has historical links with José Mourinho, has recently started representing the Portugal international.

If Jorge Mendes is involved then we are a bit buggered. Him and Jose go back a long way. Or he will just send him to Wolverhampton
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

McKnightmare wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:21 pm There is that I guess.

Good upper body skills = season ticket sales / stadium naming rights.
Chest Ham United.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by fester »

I have always thought Fellaini would be a fantastic fit for us. I'm not sure now, due to age and having been to China. If he does rock-up I wouldn't be as pissed-off as most on here.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Hammer1972 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:39 pm Chest Ham United.
:D
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

fester wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:41 pm I have always thought Fellaini would be a fantastic fit for us. I'm not sure now, due to age and having been to China. If he does rock-up I wouldn't be as pissed-off as most on here.
It's the wages more than anything, he's reportedly on £235kpw, seriously his agent must be some negotiator...He's not exactly going to aid our pace problem or our aging squad issue either. If he rocks up on £30kpw I wouldn't be that pissed off but we're the club that pays Wilshere 100kpw remember.

Also Moyes has gone out of his way to show he's changed and he's learnt from his recent failures etc and has had some success winning people over in the short term. Unlike Sam, Moyes seems to value being liked and respected by the supporters. To bring in Fellaini as one of his first signings would undermine all that in one instance with a large proportion of the fan base.