The January Transfer Window 2020

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

ToiletDuck

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by ToiletDuck » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:52 am

Butland for me!

Haller is a very good player but Pellers played him wrong. He wanted a big powerful unit like Gomez and got the French Teddy Sherringham. Was never going to work

Macca1973

Post by Macca1973 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:10 am

I don't know about anyone else but I'm super confident we will sign Butland, Clyne and a central midfielder today or tomorrow to go straight into the squad for Saturday and give the whole place a much needed boost! :asleep:

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:30 am

West Ham to complete the signing of Randolph today for £4m according to Steinberg in the Guardian

Macca1973

Post by Macca1973 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:32 am

Wilko1304 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:30 am
West Ham to complete the signing of Randolph today for £4m according to Steinberg in the Guardian
No way, we can't be that stupid and cheap :(

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:35 am

HarlowEssexHammer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 am
Joe Powell departs for Burton Albion

Did I miss something with this lad? Captain of the unbeaten, top of the league U23s and always thought he was highly rated; Cullen, Coventry and and Holland all get loan deals yet we're willing to let Powell leave permanently? Strange one
Not really. When you accept that none of them will be good enough to play for us unless we get relegated, it's easier to understand all the decisions made with our youth team players.

bristolhammerfc

Post by bristolhammerfc » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:43 am

If we are going to get out of this mess (footballing wise) we need a right back, left back, Striker and central midfielder.

The issues to any movement as I see it (channelling my inner Hammerman):

Roberto needs shipping out but reputation is shot to bits so unless Spain then hard to see him going.
Wilshere needs to go to free up wages but injury record is appalling. Might be able to get a loan
Sanchez is needed to go. Again a limited field of takers
Ajeti needs moving but anything other than a loan is unrealistic.

Diop is the wild card. If he goes we may see some movement

PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 am

I think it’ll take Diop or Yarma moving on before we’ll do any meaningful business.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 am

PlaistowIron wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 am
I think it’ll take Diop or Yarma moving on before we’ll do any meaningful business.
… and we're working hard day and night to sell them too

PlaistowIron

Post by PlaistowIron » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 am
… and we're working hard day and night to sell them too
Of course, but we’ll still have our pants pulled down and be mugged off as per usual :D

jhammers

Post by jhammers » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:57 am

Wilko1304 wrote:
If he's not fit to play straight away what is the point?

steps

Post by steps » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:01 am

PlaistowIron wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 am
Sell Diop and Yarmo for £50m and buy Joe Allen and Clyne for £15m.

Moyes will get the players he wants and our wonderful chairmen’s coffers will of increased a bit. We might even go up a place in the Deloitte Money League this time next year. Something to aim for.

Graza

Post by Graza » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:04 am

hammerman11 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:25 am
pelle bought in such successes as yarmolenko 20m haller 45m ajeti 8m sanchez 4m Roberto martin - who wants them at those prices. haller has been a failure at that price and for what he has produced. looks like he wants to leave everytime he is on the pitch.

we are a mess and a circus for sure .
we are a mess

we are a circus

Yarmalenko has had a couple of bad injuries that have hampered his progress, the first just after he had finally played himself fit and started to look good. These injuries make him look a bad return on investment
Haller f*** me Haller again. He was being used as a straight replacement for Arnie when he is a completely different type of player. Whenever he has had service he has scored and or looked decent. He's been here 6 bloody months, in a league notoriously difficult to adapt to with a supporting cast of strikers of... no one because everyone was sold. Antonio was drafted in and looked better because he is more similar to Arnie, who we were still set up to serve. That doesn't make Haller a bad player. Christ, why is this on here every couple of ****ing weeks. He doesn't look like he wants to leave, he looks like he wants to be given the ball and some ****ing support - funnily enough he has looked better with Anderson just off him providing a bit of that support.
Ajeti was a panic buy youngster to try and have another striker on the books rather than just Haller. He was never going to hit the ground running but that is the price you pay for young strikers with potential these days, look at how much we got for Fletcher (who I was disappointed to lose but someone has to generate that loan repayment money).
Sanchez wasn't a good buy, got injured for the season very early on in his time for us and has looked a shadow of himself. He was cheap cover because we have cheap owners.
Roberto and Martin were brought in for free because we have cheap owners who want to do everything on the cheap and their combined wages were reportedly cheaper than Adrian's. Given Fabianski's injury record, or lack thereof neither were ever supposed to actually play in anything other than early cup rounds.

Pellers wasn't perfect, he didn't pick 100% winners(name me a manager or club who ever has) but he wasn't backed in the summer and was hugely hamstrung by the outgoings destroying his depth making the squad inadequate beyond the first 11. When the inevitable injuries racked up (from some of the cheapest and worst equipped training facilities in the league this was inevitable) we looked worse until we lost Fab and started looking ****. That was a choice at board level to have a minuscule net spend and a radical reduction in our wage bill. They succeeded and funnily enough the team has not. The manager is smeared, the usual sources drip the poison, the knives are out and we get in someone they think can provide a place at the trough on the cheap again.

smuts

Post by smuts » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:07 am

Wilko1304 wrote:
Cosmic. :|

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:09 am

smuts wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:07 am
Cosmic. :|
More comic, I would say

ashbanki

Post by ashbanki » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30 am

It is difficult when a change in managers brings a change in formations and freezes a player out for that reason - That has not happened here, because the last four managers have favoured a one up front formation and the only player (albeit oft injured) was Carroll,imo.
When we chase players there appears to be absolutely no continuity other than a "big name" or,more recently, "record signing".Hernandez was a ridiculous signing,so was Ayew and so is Haller - because they are not lone front men - There are a whole host of "journeymen" for want of a better word, players that would have suited that role, but they were not "high profile" enough for our owners and many of our fans,imo.Deeney and Woods would have been ridiculed, but the fact is, they are more suited to the formations we play than Hernandez,Perez,Haller,Ajeti,et al.
We are not even playing the long ball that Arnautovic thrived on and Haller looks capable of.Our tippy tappy posession football never makes it to the striker as they are too far away and either end up giving up or playing passes that no one can read.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:38 am

Morocco Mole wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:12 am
I have no issue with Moyes but can people please stop using Brian Oviedo as a yardstick for his scouting prowess please?
You've got to use what cudgels you can lay your hands on if you're debating IB, Moley. It's like battling the T-1000 – he liquifies, slides under the door and re-animates. It's hard out here for a pimp.

jhammers

Post by jhammers » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:48 am

You have to hand it to Ironing Board though he's one hell of an agent, Moyes is a lucky guy

sussexhammer74

Post by sussexhammer74 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:56 am

Georgee Paris wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:02 am
What is the point of the transfer window if no one uses it?
So SKY and Talksport (Jim White) can big it up, say the transfer window slams shut and have a count down timer. Also Jim White can make himself appear as one who knows everything and everyone as "sources close to him" text him hot off the press news. :thdn:

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:57 am

HarlowEssexHammer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 am
Joe Powell departs for Burton Albion

Did I miss something with this lad? Captain of the unbeaten, top of the league U23s and always thought he was highly rated; Cullen, Coventry and and Holland all get loan deals yet we're willing to let Powell leave permanently? Strange one
I thought Coventry was captain of U23s?

Must admit, I'm not overly surprised Powell has left on a perm. He struggled for game time at league 2 Northampton last season and was already 21. Good luck to him though and hopefully he can work his way up the leagues.

Our U23 team is certainly being broken up though - Holland, Coventry and Powell, all gone. I was beginning to follow them more than the first XI and was looking forward to landing a title!

norse

Post by norse » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:00 am

Darren Randolph confirmed