The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by goa127 »

It was reported that one of the so-called super agents said west ham were never likely to get fernandes (although the deal was agreed with the club) and that they used us to 'encourage' others. This seems to be a familiar tactic. 'West Ham and Everton are interested' seems to be the standard PR.(see the Sala-Cardiff deal). I suppose it's actually a back handed compliment
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Aceface wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:19 am Our current league position is highly linked to our goalkeeping situation. It's only logical that they decided the man to get us out of this funk is the guy who was deemed not good enough 18 months ago.
I just think Sulli doesn't have it in him to resist the urge to cash in, especially on a free transfer like Randolph. It's why Rice will be sold. Cost f*ck all and worth millions, dreamland for a businessman only interested in the pound note.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1797 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

ChazHammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:56 pm Don't really get the uproar about Randolph, he's just a back up.
Most of the time back up keepers only get playing time in the cups and spend the season on the bench...
What about buying for now and the future, our GK's are 35,33, and 33. What about Butland or someone like him! Always so f*cking short term, no vision, no long term strategy, just the same cheap, stop-gap sh*t!
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

One thing that gets overlooked on Randolph vs. Adrian... Randolph was much better as a distributor, whether his kicks or throwing, he made better decisions and more accurate placement. That is an underrated part of the drop-off from good keepers to bad ones. Randolph wasn't the shot-stopper Adrian was, but he did a better job at helping us move from defending to attacking quickly, and did a better job at helping us keep possession. One of the things that we saw with Martin (even before his epic disaster pass) was that he is not comfortable handling back passes and keeping the ball moving to break the press. Randolph was very good at that.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

We're clearly not going to bring in the elusive athletic midfielder we need and have needed for years.
Everton is pretty much a must win game and we've done nothing to improve this very unbalanced squad,
And we have to put up with jack wilshere hiding in a machine, only downside is it wasnt on a fast spin at the time.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

ChazHammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:03 pm You could argue that Pellegrini was "at least they tried"
To a point. But they could and should have invested more, otherwise why appoint him in the first place. He obviously felt let down hence the apathy.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

ChazHammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:55 pm To be fair, 55M is a hell of a lot of money for a kid...the world's gone mad :shock:
It's only an option to buy as opposed to compulsory, he will be nearly 23 by then and if he has not impressed Levy doesn't have to buy him.

Sully could have matched that figure without spending a penny and given him back after the 18 months that's why it made no sense for Sully to low ball the offer.

Sully goes as far as this each window just to make it look like he is trying when all he is really doing is trying to fool us all.

He really must think we are thick if he believes that works
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

To be honest, at my age I don't know who star players are now out there. Since giving up Sky and only playing football manager 2000, Henry, Zidane, Bergkamp, were the names to get. They would of been a snip at the price with the names going around now at stupid money for no superstar name. The one who intrigues me now is that Rodriguez bloke who seems to be banded about and looked great but just seems to of been bought to keep him out of football.
hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by hammersk »

ChazHammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:56 pm Don't really get the uproar about Randolph, he's just a back up.
Most of the time back up keepers only get playing time in the cups and spend the season on the bench...
...because he is back up to a guy who will be 35 in April and has already broken down twice in half a season
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

I'm happy with Randolph. Better with someone already tried, tested and found not quite good enough, than someone unknown that will get my hopes up before they turn out not quite good enough.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Dp
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:21 pm It's only an option to buy as opposed to compulsory, he will be nearly 23 by then and if he has not impressed Levy doesn't have to buy him.

Sully could have matched that figure without spending a penny and given him back after the 18 months that's why it made no sense for Sully to low ball the offer.

Sully goes as far as this each window just to make it look like he is trying when all he is really doing is trying to fool us all.

He really must think we are thick if he believes that works
It doesn't matter. The player was going to have to agree, and he was always going to pick a top 6 club if that was an option. There are plenty of things to criticize Sullivan for, this isn't one of them. The player has no incentive to quickly agree to a loan to West Ham when his agent knows he can probably get a higher profile loan destination.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

ToiletDuck wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 pm I will support any player who pulls on a west ham shirt but penetrate me sideways with a broom handle!
Seems like quite niche criteria for your support tbh.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:25 pm Disagree that that’s true. Randolph was generally about the level of Adrian’s worst, for the most part, and couldn’t take his chance to replace him. It’s a really bad sign if you make your manager admit his mistake by being notably worse than the man you replace.

He isn’t and wasn’t as good as Randolph.
The idea that Randolph's best was Adrian's worst is just your perception... there is nothing to suggest that 'that season' he was a notably worse player.

In that season the goalkeepers were chopped and changed as Bilic tried to work out his best team.

According to whoscored stats...
Randolph played 22 games and and received an average rating of 6.61
Adrian played 16 games and received an average rating of 6.66

Bilic had no idea who was better because they performed almost identical statistically and made as many mistakes as one another that season. Come the end of the season he sold the sale-able of the 2 keepers and tried to upgrade by bringing Hart in, thinking England's number 1 would be an improvement... he wasn't!

It's like for like as I've said! In many respects, as long as Randolph is fit to play, we are back to our next best being as good as last season... instead of Roberto and Martin!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Cellar-door wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:42 pm It doesn't matter. The player was going to have to agree, and he was always going to pick a top 6 club if that was an option. There are plenty of things to criticize Sullivan for, this isn't one of them. The player has no incentive to quickly agree to a loan to West Ham when his agent knows he can probably get a higher profile loan destination.
Especially when the agent was just biding his time to get his player to Mourinho, who he also acts as the agent of!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Macca1973 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:13 pm What about buying for now and the future, our GK's are 35,33, and 33. What about Butland or someone like him! Always so f*cking short term, no vision, no long term strategy, just the same cheap, stop-gap sh*t!
The trouble with back-up keeper role is that is isn't hugely appealing to anyone that is *that* good.
The best a club like us can do, is buy a promising keeper and then loan them out. However, that doesn't solve our immediate back-up issues!

I have no idea if we were after Butland or not. WHilst i would have preferred that, he may have been less reluctant to be a backup, hoping a better gig comes along at the end of the season
Glen A Chen Muirie
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Glen A Chen Muirie »

Darren Randolph confirmed

I didn't even know he was a Catholic.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 pm The trouble with back-up keeper role is that is isn't hugely appealing to anyone that is *that* good.
Fab is quality, but he’s 35 and been injured twice already. We clearly have concerns here. We should be going after a goalkeeper who is good enough to eventually overtake him.

We have signed Randolph, because it suits from the owner perspective and it means less shelling out. I wouldn’t mind if we had actually targeted him and had confidence he could become our number 1, but this isn’t the case here. Just your typical fill up the squad with inferior and cheap players approach...
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

However selective people’s memories of Randolph are, the undeniable fact is his form over the past couple of years at Boro has been excellent. That’s all that matters when in reality our number one I’d say is one of the top three or four in the Prem, and barring a recurrence of his injury, Randolph will only get to play a handful of games each season.
b0x

Post by b0x »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:31 pm However selective people’s memories of Randolph are, the undeniable fact is his form over the past couple of years at Boro has been excellent. That’s all that matters when in reality our number one I’d say is one of the top three or four in the Prem, and barring a recurrence of his injury, Randolph will only get to play a handful of games each season.
i always thought he was more reliable than adrian :oops: