The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Cellar-door »

traxop wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 am As much as our goal keepers have cost us points this season, we are getting to the stage where our potential survival will come down to our ability to win our "winnable" games and worrying about the finer details of the deal for a BACKUP keeper is just stupid. All we do is hope he'll do a passable job the handful of times he'll be called upon to backup Fab.

Having a good goal keeper can be match winning, but most of the time the role is reactive and invariably in games, there will be chances created that a goal keeper will not be able save, no matter how good he is.

So with that in mind, I'm fine with getting whomever we get(it just happens to be Randolph) as long as we are able to address the midfield issue THIS window. We can't keep allowing teams to overrun our midfield of Rice, Noble and Snodgrass and still expect to control many games, let alone win them.

I'll happily take Randolph on the cheap if it means we can shore up our midfield, and by shoring it up, I don't mean getting a clone to Noble like Joe Allen. We need a midfield that can offer something the others can't. We can't be carrying another midfield player who lacks pace, creativity, physicality or aestheticism - it's simply what we do not need right now.
I think more than anything, a great keeper (Fab) can help you get points you don't deserve by making an abnormal amount of unexpected saves on good chances, a terrible keeper (Martin and Roberto) can cost you points you maybe deserve by either making a mistake on a half-chance or creating a chance out of nothing. If you get to the middle (Randolph) you aren't likely to steal many, but you also won't give many away. A mediocre keeper probably gets us a point last week, even though our midfield was terrible. Eliminating those types of giveaways while Fab is out is all we need from the keeper position. Now that we have that the biggest impact will be fixing the midfield, (and if we're lucky RB depth and ST depth) so not spending much if any money to get back to mediocrity in goal should help us achieve that.
SRXT
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by SRXT »

I don't mind the Randolph signing as I think he's better than our other two back ups, but I can't or don't see us signing many other players, if any. It's the same rubbish as always. :phew:
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

Been thinking this for awhile. What about pushing Diop into the Rice position and then either playing them together or letting Rice go further forward?

Must be worth a punt and could save us a few bob for other positions.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

SRXT wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:59 am I don't mind the Randolph signing as I think he's better than our other two back ups
That's like saying you'd shag an ugly, fat bird because it's better than shagging a fat, ugly, ginger bird
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I doubt we would get Barkley but I think he's a decent shout.

In amidst the uproar about the 'keeper, our misfiring playmaker AMs have got off nearly scot-free.

Barkley was at the same level as Arnie and Sigurdsson as an AM (c 15 goals/assists a season) before joining Chelsea.

He could potentially play in a midfield pair with Rice in a 352, couldn't he?
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

RayleighIrons wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:17 am Must be worth a punt and could save us a few bob
What a perfect summary of our transfer strategy!
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

I still think Diop alongside Rice is the answer.....seems obvious to me..I think we need a CB, RB on loan and a. Upgrade on Ajeti. If we keep Diop at CB then a CM
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Barkley ~I like him,but,he's yet another attacking CM that we don't need,imo.We have Lanzini,Fornals,Anderson,Noble and even "like a new signing" Wilshere! If Lanzini is off,yes, but not at the expense of what we need,imo.
We need a player with pace and fight to sit alongside Rice to break up attacks and drive forward with the ball or play the killer pass.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Tristan Shout wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:18 am That's like saying you'd shag an ugly, fat bird because it's better than shagging a fat, ugly, ginger bird
I’d prefer shagging the fat ugly ginger bird to be honest.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by ironilunga »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:44 amHe could potentially play in a midfield pair with Rice in a 352, couldn't he?
I reckon they will ask for Diop in any deal. Were that the case it would be a no from me!
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by ironilunga »

ashbanki wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:58 am Barkley ~I like him,but,he's yet another attacking CM that we don't need,imo.We have Lanzini,Fornals,Anderson,Noble and even "like a new signing" Wilshere! If Lanzini is off,yes, but not at the expense of what we need,imo.
Agreed.

We need to think Foe!
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

Marky wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:53 am I still think Diop alongside Rice is the answer.....seems obvious to me..I think we need a CB, RB on loan and a. Upgrade on Ajeti. If we keep Diop at CB then a CM
Will would be an utter disaster in that position. Headless chicken, yes he would win a few tackles and interceptions but as for the rest of the skill set required would be severely lacking
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:44 amHe could potentially play in a midfield pair with Rice in a 352, couldn't he?
So half the outfield players in that team would be CBs?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Barkley makes sense.

We misses out on Fernandes and still need a bit of energy in that position, he's played the 343 in the past under Conte and will be desperate for play time with the Euros approaching.

With a favourable future fee in place I'm game.

As long as we bring in another, preferably Berge but with the current ownership even Allen would do, two solid if unglamorous signings.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

What the hell does anyone see in Diop to think he could play in midfield.

No technical ability, no positional sense, no passing range.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Transfer gossip saying we are looking to loan Ross Barkley from Chelsea.
There’s no doubting he’s a good player, but not sure we need another attacking midfielder !
Right level quality wise but wrong position, we need a CM or DM. Who’s out there in those positions at the big 6 teams that isn’t getting much game time?
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

If Barkley doesn't have the temperament to work hard and play for Chelsea then I don't want him here. Lampard has called him out a few times this season already.

If he were to come in we need to get rid of a few creative midfielders. And that means Lanzini. We can't have 5 or 6 of the same player.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

hammerddh wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 am Will would be an utter disaster in that position. Headless chicken, yes he would win a few tackles and interceptions but as for the rest of the skill set required would be severely lacking
Would remind me of when we had Kouyate playing there...
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Whilst I don't believe the Barkley links, he would be a perfect fit. He's not a 10 (more an 8, I suppose) and would be especially good as a linking midfielder in the 3-5-2. He's been played as a similar type of player for England and been good, although I do think he's prone to overplay in his own half.

He'd outperform Noble and Allen, that's for sure.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

RayleighIrons wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:17 am Been thinking this for awhile. What about pushing Diop into the Rice position and then either playing them together or letting Rice go further forward?

Must be worth a punt and could save us a few bob for other positions.
i suggested that on another thread and was shot down in flames by the know it alls, the boy is good with the ball at his feet.