The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Samba »

Believer wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:05 pm Apparently we're paying 75% of Roberto's wages ! Bonkers.

I wonder how many superstars we will be "in talks" with in the morning papers (on the eve of our protest) ?
Perhaps they thought they could scupper the protest by rebuying Darren Randolph..
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Payet, the best player I've ever seen for us. Anything was possible in his first season with us.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 pm No one always gets it right - but he signed players that transformed them.

It's really very funny that Jol asked him for a winger - you're criticising it - and he'd signed Bale, the best winger in the world not so long after. :lol:

Jordan Henderson was another 'dud' he signed.
Here's how a Liverpool fan summed him up when he left:

"Comolli would appear to be nothing more than a fairly young man who has managed to blag his way into some fantastic football jobs on the back of being a failed youth player at Monaco then coaching their under 16s.

"The movie 'Catch me if you can' springs to mind and maybe now hes finally been rumbled."

When Bale was signed for Spurs he was a defender, not a winger. He was also 17, and did not even feature in a winning match until 26 September 2009. So how you can say Bale was a good signing for Martin Jol belies belief.

Here's how it went down for Jol:

'In the summer of 2007, Tottenham signed a number of expensive players spending around £40 million. It has been reported that some of these players were signed on the request of Director of Football Damien Comolli and that Jol was not allowed to select players he wanted to buy, such as Martin Petrov. When the suggestion of selling star striker Dimitar Berbatov arose, Jol claimed, "I'd rather die."'

Comolli also got him sacked in favour of Ramos, and Jol actually got sacked via text message.
Believer
Has liked: 1432 likes
Total likes: 766 likes

Post by Believer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:08 pm I expected it to be 125% :D
Probably is ! :D
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Get VECINO IN!!!!

Good player, good tackle rate... and...

Uruguay units are the most warriors type of from the whole Latinoamerica.. :P
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Fenerbache fans on Comolli leaving:

'Comolli is overrated as sporting director.
'His vision is based on Billy Beane's methodology.... which is not adapted to football.
'+ most of the transfers have been done with a lot of money spent.
'Anyway Comolli never convinced where he worked'

'Most of them are flops.
'Good job Comolli. ^^'

'Best EVER news you have given'

Not the guy to take us forward. Though some of his 'dodgier' credentials may win him favour with Sullivan!
Believer
Has liked: 1432 likes
Total likes: 766 likes

Post by Believer »

jastons wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:11 pm Payet, the best player I've ever seen for us. Anything was possible in his first season with us.
I'd love to know how much we spent that summer on loan fees and dross cos I reckon had we put it all together we would have got Lacazette and him and Payet would've been outstanding. Who knows where we would be now.

However our shrewd owners thought they'd bulk out the squad with 7 signings and all would be great instead.

The other thing that annoys me is had we invested in a state of the art training ground when we moved, we'd possibly be reaping the benefits already. That statement of intent from them would make a huge difference to me. New training ground, new scouting process and rebuild the Academy of Football. Sadly won't happen though...
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Believer wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:05 pm Apparently we're paying 75% of Roberto's wages ! Bonkers.

I wonder how many superstars we will be "in talks" with in the morning papers (on the eve of our protest) ?
Not surprising at all, his value cratered, anyone taking him on is taking a risk and they aren't taking that risk and paying his full wages. We just want to move him out to get the international registration space open as quickly as possible. If he plays well we can probably offload his future years, if not we'll loan him out again or buy him out.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2502 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 pm Here's how ....blah blah blah
Signed Suarez and Bale.

The rest is just waffling b*llocks.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Leeds are preparing a bid for Bowen I just read. If we are so great why is a Championship club seemingly about to outdo us in this transfer business malarkey? A cheap semi fit, semi paid for back up keeper. Wow!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:31 pm Leeds are preparing a bid for Bowen...
Well, they must be sooo dreaming of the next level that we enjoy.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:31 pmIf we are so great why is a Championship club seemingly about to outdo us in this transfer business malarkey?
We are great, unfortunately our owners haven't realised this and somehow they've managed to lower our expectations of what this club is capable of. Forget this next level bs, West Ham Utd should be a top 10 side, no ifs or ****ing buts. Flirting with relegation year after year should be beneath us. We should be in the mix for Europe not scrabbling about trying to sign god knows what.

I know that might sound entitled, which is the new buzz word these days, and you'd be correct it does, but I no longer care.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Exactly. My expectations were formed in the sixties and have never lowered.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Albie Beck wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:46 pm Exactly. My expectations were formed in the sixties and have never lowered.
I'm pretty sure we were the second English club ever to win a European trophy but I could be wrong. Fa Cup and massive influence in the World cup and we've been put down ever since. One of the biggest fan bases in the country with a board unwilling or frightened to move up. We allowed them to move us to new stadium on next level promises.
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 983 likes

Post by e17 »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:02 am I'm pretty sure we were the second English club ever to win a European trophy but I could be wrong. Fa Cup and massive influence in the World cup and we've been put down ever since. One of the biggest fan bases in the country with a board unwilling or frightened to move up. We allowed them to move us to new stadium on next level promises.
The only team to win a European trophy with an all-English line-up
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

e17 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 am The only team to win a European trophy with an all-English line-up
Only Geoff Hurst wasnt from the local area iirc.
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

Is it true that we only had 5 scouts and now we are down to 1 (Jordan Miles) while clubs like Brentford hire 30?

Just seen a 'Hammers Chat ' video that said Husillos & Pellegrini's sons were scouts but they've all left . Apparently we have employed 2 agents Barry Silkman and Will Salthouse to do the scouting but who will be more inclined to flog us any players on their books (ie. Randolph's agent is Will Salthouse)? What would these agents know about scouting anyhow?

So if the above is the case, then I doubt we are going to get any new talent in this transfer window except maybe on loan journeyman types. David Moyes will have to rebuild the scouting system from scratch if he's given the money but that's a long term project.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

e17 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 am The only team to win a European trophy with an all-English line-up
And the last to win the FA Cup (1975), with all English.
And the last second tier team to win it (1980) - bloody Ray Stewart.. :D
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Albie Beck wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:37 pm Well, they must be sooo dreaming of the next level that we enjoy.
Jarrod Bowen could turn out to be another Scott Hogan and we were all screaming for him to sign for us
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:27 pm Signed Suarez and Bale.

The rest is just waffling b*llocks.
Comolli signed a 17-year-old left back who was constantly injured. It is Harry Redknapp who deserves the credit for converting him into a winger and developing him as a player.