The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Rozzop »

Could we be under financial difficulties that we are not aware of?

Similar to what happened to Leeds?

I am not an expert in the financial side of things but what I do know is we overpay on wages and have done for years.

There is no other excuse for the asset stripping and the unwillingness to invest in key areas of the team. Instead plugging gaps with some of the worst top flight footballers I have ever seen.

I know most teams makes dud signings but Roberto is the worst goalkeeper I have ever seen in the premier league. Hart was something of a laughing stock when he was loaned in.

Maiga was the worst striker I.have ever seen in the premier league.

Jenkinson was the worst right back I have ever seen in the premier league.

Sanchez is the worst defensive midfield I have ever.....

This will be the boards legacy. Absolutely woeful transfer dealings and thats without mentioning Carroll, Wilshere, 6 year contract to Reid, Zabaleta carrying on 5 years past his peak. Noble not being upgraded for a decade. Roger the relegator. Masuaku pretending to be a footballer. Carlton Cole.

Its not just poor transfers that most teams make. Its transfers that are literally terrible that any other team in the league would not make.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Rozzop wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 pm Could we be under financial difficulties that we are not aware of?
If we are, then that would be just yet more evidence of the owners' incompetence (or worse) and utter unsuitability to run a premier league club.

With all the advantages we have as a club, it should not be that difficult to run it efficiently and successfully and make a decent profit while putting out a decent product on the pitch.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

ToiletDuck wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:12 pm So if wages are not the problem what is?
David Sullivan.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

We could be short of cash flow as wasn’t a lot of the Haller fee upfront?

The books should be healthy though given the amount sold in the summer.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Assuming we stay in the PL the club earns £170m+ in income, wages c£100m. We haven’t spent the difference on fees. The only financial challenge could be that GSB had a £45m loan maturing in January. If they intend to not re-finance or reduce it significantly then it could impact the clubs financials as they would be taking money out of the club which the club would otherwise use. Our debt-value ratio is one of the lowest in the league outside the top six.

If we go down it’s clearly a different picture - but sales of players and parachute payments would ensure year one and two were ok imo.

I’m filing this ‘financial difficulties’ as scaremongering.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

I wondered about the wider financial issues a few weeks ago.
No scouting staff, requests for volunteers to scout. No transfer budget, unwilling to pull the trigger on Pellers.

Tabor, Kia, Vince McMahon , Trip, get together and buy this club!!
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

Rozzop wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 pm Could we be under financial difficulties that we are not aware of?
We shouldn’t be, but if we are, then it really highlights even more their incompetence in running a football club.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

ToiletDuck wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:10 pm Vince McMahon
His son-in-law is meant to be a West Ham fan isn’t he? :lol:

No effort on the pitch = a pedigree through a table off of it.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Sheffield United have had a bid rejected for Berge
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:33 pm Sheffield United have had a bid rejected for Berge
Watch us fly in with a structured deal spanning 5 years but for less than Sheffield United have already offered.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Sanson who I've wanted for ages, confirms he won't leave OM this Winter, been in great form for them this season, we should've had him and Dendocker 24/26 months ago for shirt buttons in relative terms
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:42 pm If there is one thing we ain't short of, it's old pros.
You know what I mean though. Not just old players, but effective Premier league professionals who can be relied upon to get results. Guys like Stuart Pierce, Kevin Nolan etc etc
hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by hammersk »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:01 pm You know what I mean though. Not just old players, but effective Premier league professionals who can be relied upon to get results. Guys like Stuart Pierce, Kevin Nolan etc etc
But they can't be relied on to get results.
They get you relegated.

We need players who are good enough to keep us up this year and young enough to drive us on next year.
Whether they are in the Championship, or another league, they are expensive.

We've never gone down this route, which is why we are relegation fodder every year.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:01 pm You know what I mean though. Not just old players, but effective Premier league professionals who can be relied upon to get results. Guys like Stuart Pierce, Kevin Nolan etc etc
If your examples are all players who haven't played in a decade it probably tells you something. Look at who is successful in the league now, the players they have aren't Pierce or Nolan, they are pacy, athletic, skilled and young. Zab is an old pro, Noble is an old pro, Sanchez is an old pro. Those players are major reasons we're likely to go down.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I’d suggest the type of window we need is a Lomas/Harrison/Kitson one - with two midfielders and one striker. They were three players who were exactly what we needed and transformed the team - showing that a number of players were underperforming principally due to the overall balance of the team. They were all of a good age, hungry, driven, energetic etc.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Cellar-door wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:34 pm If your examples are all players who haven't played in a decade it probably tells you something. Look at who is successful in the league now, the players they have aren't Pierce or Nolan, they are pacy, athletic, skilled and young. Zab is an old pro, Noble is an old pro, Sanchez is an old pro. Those players are major reasons we're likely to go down.
What we need are guys like Zab and Noble five years younger. Sanchez isn’t a Professional!
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

In addition to a pacy striker who can run the channels, i'd consider going for two energetic midfielders (ball winner + box to box type) and move Rice back into CD with Ogbonna - seeing as Balbuena and Diop are both out of sorts.

Above all else, we need players with the right character and mentality.

We'll probably end up with nothing or the complete opposite of what is required thanks to David "deep pockets short arms" Sullivan
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

fmgod wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:01 pm Sanson who I've wanted for ages, confirms he won't leave OM this Winter, been in great form for them this season, we should've had him and Dendocker 24/26 months ago for shirt buttons in relative terms
Do you think it was being linked to us which made him want to stay?

He is having a great season and will probably move in the summer. Imagine he'll have better options than us by then.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

MB wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:56 pm Do you think it was being linked to us which made him want to stay?

He is having a great season and will probably move in the summer. Imagine he'll have better options than us by then.
No, OM are flying under AVB, they've(the players) bought into him, Sanson said he wants to get Champions League qualfication for them, Payet is stil an unreal player and they've missed Thauvin pretty much all season. We would've maybe got him in the summer or last winter if we put the pressure on.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

We could do a lot worse than ask Liverpool for a couple of youngsters from their squad on loan. We really need an injection of energy into our slow side.