The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Ironing Board »

HammerPDC wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:26 pm I mean if he managed to con Sir Alex I’m not surprised!

But Everton aside to put it politely he has been dog ***** and managed what 1 season of champions league football? :lol:
To be fair, he made the quarter finals, which was their best run on a number of years. Technically he also got Everton into the Champions League, though Collina robbed them of a place in the group stages as Liverpool qualified as well despite finishing lower as the league as they won the previous season’s competition.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

HammerPDC wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:27 pm A bad example on my part tbf, Radoslav Kovac maybe?
Now we're talking
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:30 pm To be fair, he made the quarter finals, which was their best run on a number of years. Technically he also got Everton into the Champions League, though Collina robbed them of a place in the group stages as Liverpool qualified as well despite finishing lower as the league as they won the previous season’s competition.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then fella, but let’s call a spade a spade he’s pony

What I will say for the man is at Everton he had some good buys, so if Soucek comes from the Arteta, Fellaini school of thinking he could be a proper good find, won’t be enough to save us mind
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

HammerPDC wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:34 pm Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then fella, but let’s call a spade a spade he’s pony

What I will say for the man is at Everton he had some good buys, so if Soucek comes from the Arteta, Fellaini school of thinking he could be a proper good find, won’t be enough to save us mind
You think? I reckon it would be enough to keep us up. Guy is a club captain, a champion and a full international. Seems like the sort of character who would make everyone else raise their game.

If he is an able partner for Rice then it opens up so many other options, as we are almost a man down every match as we need to play two players next to him to do one job. Could see Fornals getting more game time with a more solid midfield base.
Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:30 pm To be fair, he made the quarter finals, which was their best run on a number of years. Technically he also got Everton into the Champions League, though Collina robbed them of a place in the group stages as Liverpool qualified as well despite finishing lower as the league as they won the previous season’s competition.
How DO you know this stuff? There's not a West Ham manager or player, alive or dead, I could even hope to give chapter and verse on the way you do Moyes.
HammerPDC wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:34 pm Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then fella, but let’s call a spade a spade he’s pony
Have to say, that cracked me right up.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Paolo's Piranhas wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:40 pm How DO you know this stuff? There's not a West Ham manager or player, alive or dead, I could even hope to give chapter and verse on the way you do Moyes.

Have to say, that cracked me right up.
I didn’t think knowing Everton qualified for the Champion's League one year counted S deep knowledge. They were the only other team to do it during the Sky 4 era!
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Whatever happened to that Dendonker guy? Where is he plying his trade these days?

:twisted:
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

thejackhammer wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:40 am Baldock, Zarate, Sakho, Borrielo?

Maybe even Valencia, Chamakh, Carew, Maiga?

Certainly Nene, Brian Montenegro and Wellington Paulista.

Fairly endless list.
We know Benni McCarthy was a Zola signing as after he flopped all we ever used to hear in the press was Sullivan blaming him for the signing.

Valencia would definitely have been a Sulli special. He had previously bought a crap striker from Ecuador for Birmingham and didn’t learn.

Mido and Ilan had Sulli’s finger prints all over the deal.

Zarate was a top player and selling him was daft, we never really replaced his flair up front and his decline in England was only really due to that bad injury he suffered just after Watford bought him.

Fair play to Big Sam for sticking the knife in on the berks.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

westhamerica wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:44 pm Whatever happened to that Dendonker guy? Where is he plying his trade these days?

Isn’t he at Wolves?
Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:43 pm I didn’t think knowing Everton qualified for the Champion's League one year counted S deep knowledge. They were the only other team to do it during the Sky 4 era!
I just meant in general. Seriously, you'd walk Mastermind.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Paolo's Piranhas wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:45 pm I just meant in general. Seriously, you'd walk Mastermind.
I’d fall at the final hurdle when they asked me to name his favourite cologne.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:40 pm You think? I reckon it would be enough to keep us up. Guy is a club captain, a champion and a full international. Seems like the sort of character who would make everyone else raise their game.

If he is an able partner for Rice then it opens up so many other options, as we are almost a man down every match as we need to play two players next to him to do one job. Could see Fornals getting more game time with a more solid midfield base.
IB I could only wish to have the optimism on the subject that you do fella.

Although there have been rumours Moyes has been at the training ground until 9 every night, David is that you?
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

IF this goes through, it says two things to me....

1. The board are very concerned about going down
2. Money is tight and they are going to try to stretch it with this type of part down loan to buy
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:43 pm I didn’t think knowing Everton qualified for the Champion's League one year counted S deep knowledge. They were the only other team to do it during the Sky 4 era!
The sky 4 , Liverpool, Manchester United , Arsenal and Chelsea , I’m guessing that’s your sky 4 ?

So Blackburn Rovers , Newcastle United , Spurs, Leicester city , Manchester City , Leeds United from memory all made Champions, not only Moyes’s Everton
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pm Three scenarios:

1) He's not good enough or suited to PL football, or takes too long to adjust. Outcome: we sign him.

2) He's actually very good (as reports now suggesting). Outcome: he rejects us for a better club.

3) He's actually very good and for some bizarre mystery, he is happy to come. Outcome: we don't bid enough, deal breaksdown
4) Harry Redknapp intercepts him at the airport with a better offer and he's chosen a career making jam roly-polys over joining us.

I nip off for my early evening nap and the transfer thread bursts into life :)
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

HammerPDC wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:48 pm IB I could only wish to have the optimism on the subject that you do fella.

Although there have been rumours Moyes has been at the training ground until 9 every night, David is that you?
Our Achilles heel is the midfield. While our full backs are not ideal, it is the midfield where a match is really won and lost. I am pretty confident that with a midfielder, and with Anderson and Fredericks back, we will stay up relatively comfortably. I mean Liverpool are the only side that look unbeatable at the moment. Even Man City have big flaws.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Paolo's Piranhas wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:45 pm I just meant in general. Seriously, you'd walk Mastermind.
IB's like that fan in Partridge with all the posters and the cardboard cut out.

Or Dave's wife.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

westhamerica wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:44 pm Whatever happened to that Dendonker guy? Where is he plying his trade these days?

This is the type of insight I come onto KUMB website for... :D
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

sicknote wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:50 pm The sky 4 , Liverpool, Manchester United , Arsenal and Chelsea , I’m guessing that’s your sky 4 ?

So Blackburn Rovers , Newcastle United , Spurs, Leicester city , Manchester City , Leeds United from memory all made Champions, not only Moyes’s Everton
That’s why I said Sky 4 era! The 2004-2010 period that was broken by Spurs.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:52 pm Even Man City have big flaws.
Sounds promising IB, you any idea if big Flaws is available for transfer?